2nd Trimester
Options

Getting ready and introducing dogs to baby

I have two small indoor dogs that I consider my babies. My husband and I are nervous about introducing them to baby once it comes. Any advice on ways to start getting them ready or books to read on the subject?

Re: Getting ready and introducing dogs to baby

• Options
    edited February 2014
    We have three dogs and I was worried about one of them because he is very excitable and a jumper, and he is big.  He is the sweetest dog and I knew he would never intentionally hurt DD, but I was worried he would on accident.  Like PP, we worked on not jumping and being gentle.  When we brought DD home from the hospital all of my worries disappeared, it was like he knew she was a baby and he needed to be gentle, he has never tried jumping on her. 

One thing I read while pregnant with DD was you can send someone home from the hospital with a blanket that the baby slept in so the dogs can get used to the scent before you actually bring the baby home.  If you are worried about a behavioral issue I would start bringing them to a trainer now so you can get some help and advice. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    As PPs have asked - what concerns you about them? My first inclination towards small dogs that owners are nervous about introducing to children/babies is nipping or just sheer nervousness of new people/things.
    Babies are noisy roomies and can easily startle or frighten cats/dogs.
    There are trainers that can go to your house and see them in their own environment. They'll begin working on them as soon as they ring the bell and see what your dogs do from the moment they're present. They check for and work on specific concerns for bringing a baby home.
    I'd sit down with your husband and list every concern you each have.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    There is a book called "Babyproofing your Dogs" or something like that. I'm mobile now, so I'll post more links when I can.

DD1: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 36 weeks

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

DD2: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 37 weeks
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I will echo PP. Do not use Casear Milan. He bases his training off of out-dated philosophies that were created by studying wolves in captivity. Wolves in captivity aren't the same as wild wolves and sure aren't dogs.

Nothing in life is free is a great thing. Brush up on basic obedience. Come, sit, down, stay, go to your place... Those are all useful things.

This is a great blog. Check out some links on the right hand side about preparing your pets.

https://babiesandbeasts.blogspot.com/?m=0

Another point you should know... The dogs may be stressed and may struggle at first. Increasing training and exercise and tools like the DAP collar and simple time will help. Don't dump them because they struggle with stress or training at first.

My final message... The most likely time for issues is after baby is mobile. Kids move quickly and strangely and are loud and scary. Kids are rough on pets and corner them and scare and hurt them. You wouldn't let an adult abuse or scare your dog. Don't let your child. Tight hugs or swats or photos of your cornered dog and kid ARE NOT cute. They're a bite waiting to happen. Good dogs bite. They do. Keep your kid and dog safe by supervising, training, and learning to read your pet's body language so you know when they are stressed and can intervene.

image image
  • Options
    Here are some links on doggy body language:

https://info.drsophiayin.com/free-poster-on-body-language-in-dogs/

The first video is a good example. The second is so horrifying that I can't watch it, even though it does not end in a bite. The reason it's scary is NOT because of the breed but because of how clearly terrified and stressed and in pain that dog was and how the child was allowed to corner and injure the dog. A bite WILL HAPPEN.

image image
  • Options
    OMG that second video makes me want to lock those parents up in a kennel & rescue that poor dog from them!  What a good, patient dog for not biting that kid immediately.  You know there is no way that's the first time they have encouraged their child to behave that way with the dog.  Why are people so stupid!!!

And I definitely agree with the above comments about NOT reading or watching anything from Cesar Milan.

We have 3 dogs over 45# & 2 cats and this will be our first child.  We are definitely working on fine tuning behaviors now.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    In addition to what PPs have said, I've started acclimating my dogs to the weird noises they'll be hearing by playing a youtube track of baby crying while loving on them and giving them treats. They totally tune it out now.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I haven't read through all of the responses, but I did watch that second video and I wish I could punch those parents in the jugular. It's really great that those parents are teaching their kid to taunt animals and possibly end up injuring them. *eye roll*

Anyway, whatever your dog's issues are it's important to work on them now. For mine, they are extremely calm but when they play together, they bounce around and chase each other around, so we had to work on boundaries with them - zones where they absolutely could not go in case they broke out in a rope toy tug-of-war or game of chase. We did this by placing baby blankets on the floor where we'd do tummy time and general play for the baby. Whenever the dogs would touch the blanket by stepping on it, we'd snap our fingers and say "NO" very sharply. It worked for us, as they never once approached my son while he was playing on his blankets on the floor. They also like to hop up in our laps when we're on the couch. We practiced holding a swaddled baby doll in our arms every night so they knew not to pounce on us when we were holding it. 

I'm sure there are plenty of online resources and books at the library or bookstore on your specific concerns, but those two things mentioned above worked for us and our two Bostons before DS arrived.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with the many anti-Cesar posts. He uses very outdated techniques that are not backed by science.
    I have posted this link before on another board, but it has some REALLY helpful information on reading dogs body language for when your child does arrive, and becomes more mobile. Learning to read stress signals a dog is giving off can be very helpful, and can help you manage the relationship between your pups and baby. I don't think there is too much info on here about how to prepare the dog for the baby, but I still think this is helpful.

• Options
    We have a small dog that has never been around kids. Our vet gave us some information on how to prep the dog, so I would start there. I've played some baby crying sounds to get her exposed to it and now it doesn't even phase her. We also just had our shower so I started letting her sniff all the toys & clothes in the baby's room and also played some of the musical stuff for her.

I was also told that when you come home from the hospital for you to walk in first and greet the dog and then have husband come in next with the baby.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you all so much for the info! My dogs are generally great but since this is our first they have just never been exposed to a baby. The few toddlers they have been around they didn't seem to care for but no biting issues however like someone said, good dogs bite. I will NOT let my dogs be tortured by my kids!!! But I also want to teach my dogs to avoid situations that would cause that.
    Looking up all the suggested (non cease Milan) websites now!
  • Options
    OMG I gasped at the second video. They're just laughing! That poor dog :/ . And God forbid he turned around it bit that kid. He would get scolded for it and they would probably never learn. I hope the original people saw this video of the breakdown and learned something. I would never let my kid pull on my dog like that. I don't care how friendly I think my dog is. That is not fair to that dog

It's a BOY

• Options
    I am also concerned about introducing one of our dogs to the baby. Our husky is gentle and obedient but we have an 11 year old stubborn pug that is extremely jealous and prone to biting. If he feels my husband (he is originally my H's dog) is giving attention to anyone he will growl and attack. We have no idea why he behaves this way other than he was extremely spoiled his whole life. We have tried calmly reassuring him and gently redirecting his attention to no success.

Since he is older and having a hard time getting around my plan is to simply keep the baby away from him since I do not trust him. His little pug nubs that we call teeth don't leave a mark when he bites but I'm still not giving him to chance to bite my baby. DH would never forgive me if he heard me say this but I hope he won't be around for many years longer. My baby comes first
    photo c9f20a08-e61b-4141-972e-d243ea91d7a9.jpg
  • Options
    My final message... The most likely time for issues is after baby is mobile. Kids move quickly and strangely and are loud and scary. Kids are rough on pets and corner them and scare and hurt them. You wouldn't let an adult abuse or scare your dog. Don't let your child. Tight hugs or swats or photos of your cornered dog and kid ARE NOT cute. They're a bite waiting to happen. Good dogs bite. They do. Keep your kid and dog safe by supervising, training, and learning to read your pet's body language so you know when they are stressed and can intervene.

We're dealing with a stressed, elderly small dog now. We've managed his behavior for the last 16 months by keeping him mostly separated from DS, but with another baby on the way, we're not going to be able to manage it much longer. We called a trainer, who helped to a degree, but we're contending with many years as an "only child." Unfortunately, we are now trying to re-home our dog, which isn't easy at his age. We're also very attached to him. I say this not to discourage you but to tell you that you aren't alone if it happens. We did not come to this decision lightly.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    A good thing to do is get a life like baby doll (size shape), like from craigslist or dollar store. And start acting like its real. Play crying sounds, coo'ing sounds and other baby sounds. Once you have baby items like the swing and crib start putting the doll in them. While doing this let the pups know what is expected of them. Teaching them what's ok and not, that way it's not a shock when LO arrives.

When little one arrives get a blanket with baby's scent it. Send someone the pups are used to with it home and let them sniff and get used to the smell.

Once it's time for LO to come home, depending on who the dogs are more attached too go in without baby and love on the dogs. Get them calm and have the other person bring in baby introduce them.

I have a better reply to this but I am on mobile so I can't go back and find it.

• Options

We're dealing with a stressed, elderly small dog now. We've managed his behavior for the last 16 months by keeping him mostly separated from DS, but with another baby on the way, we're not going to be able to manage it much longer. We called a trainer, who helped to a degree, but we're contending with many years as an "only child." Unfortunately, we are now trying to re-home our dog, which isn't easy at his age. We're also very attached to him. I say this not to discourage you but to tell you that you aren't alone if it happens. We did not come to this decision lightly.

You have an old, stressed, unhappy dog. Why won't you consider euthanizing the poor dog rather than rehoming? Rehoming is incredibly stressful and scary.

image image
  • Options

I am also concerned about introducing one of our dogs to the baby. Our husky is gentle and obedient but we have an 11 year old stubborn pug that is extremely jealous and prone to biting. If he feels my husband (he is originally my H's dog) is giving attention to anyone he will growl and attack. We have no idea why he behaves this way other than he was extremely spoiled his whole life. We have tried calmly reassuring him and gently redirecting his attention to no success.

Since he is older and having a hard time getting around my plan is to simply keep the baby away from him since I do not trust him. His little pug nubs that we call teeth don't leave a mark when he bites but I'm still not giving him to chance to bite my baby. DH would never forgive me if he heard me say this but I hope he won't be around for many years longer. My baby comes first

@mikescutie7

Your dog growls and attacks when your husband pays attention to someone else... And you reassure the dog?

No.

Google nothing in life is free training. Implement it.

Read the book on resource guarding in dogs called "Mine". Your dog thinks he owns your husband.

It's not cute or funny or sweet. It shows the poor dog was raised and trained by people who failed him and spoiled him. Tell your dh the best way to love his dog is to actually train him.

image image
  • Options

@mikescutie7 Your dog growls and attacks when your husband pays attention to someone else... And you reassure the dog? No. Google nothing in life is free training. Implement it. Read the book on resource guarding in dogs called "Mine". Your dog thinks he owns your husband. It's not cute or funny or sweet. It shows the poor dog was raised and trained by people who failed him and spoiled him. Tell your dh the best way to love his dog is to actually train him.
    Thanks I will look it up. I was not raised with dogs and have complained to DH that he needs to be trained but DH always excuses it with "he's too old to learn ...." It really frustrates me. His behavior is 100% the fault of DH and his family, my 2 year old husky was trained me by me since puppyhood and I don't know anything dogs but she is well behaved.

I'm afraid anything I try with the pug will be undermined by DH but I hope the arrival of the baby forces his hand.
  • Options
    Yeah, apparently the recommendations I'm finding for severe resource guarding is "get professional help." So basically if you don't prevent it you're screwed unless you shell out money to hire a pro? Also I can't find anywhere that comments on resource guarding when the resource is the human
  • Options
    We don't have dogs, but we have four cats.  We work with a local animal rescue organization and my hubby has been amazing taking over the care while I am expecting.  Prior to expecting we would take in fosters when needed.  One thing I've always found works with any animal is not to force the situation.  We've never had any bites, because we have made it clear to our children that if the animal doesn't come to you...don't bother it.  Be kind and gentle and slowly get to know each other. 
  • Options
    Not everyone likes Cesar Milan and his methods.  But I find them very helpful.  I also took this quiz with my hubby https://www.dogsecrets.com/Spoiled-Dog-Test.html...to rate how spoiled our two chocolate labs are.  We have been working with our two since October, though they needed a lot of work on indoor manners.  We have them to the point where they do not have full range house priveleges anymore...due to me getting tired of cleaning up destroyed trash remnants every morning.  They now sleep in kennels, which they happen to love.  And they have their beds / special places that they lay on while they are in the house.  Crazy, wild playing and running is reserved for outside activities these days.  This was all done because I thought it was necessary regardless of having two babies on the way...and also because we have two tiny little babies on their way and two very large dogs that do not know their own strength.  Currently we are working on them waiting to be invited through doorways - "two-leggeds first and four leggeds second" is what I tell them.  They are getting it.  They are so smart and love having a job / command to follow.  We have also worked very hard on feeding time etiquette and continue to work on them being "easy" when they take a bone or treat from our hands.  Tiny hands with all sorts of goodies will be here sooner than later, and I do not want to deal with a dog bite and my Mama Bear instinct.  Also, neither of the dogs is allowed in the nursery.  At some point, they may be allowed in there, but for now that room is most definitely off limits.

• Options

You have an old, stressed, unhappy dog. Why won't you consider euthanizing the poor dog rather than rehoming? Rehoming is incredibly stressful and scary.

DH refuses to consider it, and the dog probably has another four or five years left. He's in fantastic shape for his age. He's also small and expected to live longer than a larger dog.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I spoke with a trainer when I found out I was pregnant.  He said as you bring the baby home...set it where you can watch, but the dogs can come and sniff and introduce themselves to it and it to them...the dogs will sniff then move on about their day.  If you make the child off limits, the dog can start viewing it as a threat and react negatively to it.  But if you just make it a normal part of the day, the dog will accept it and move on. 

Also, start poking and pulling the dog's tail (gently) to get them used to surprise touches, always do this with a reward in hand, so that they connect being poked and all those rude things kids do by accident to hmmm yummy reward on the way will save issues in the future.

• Options
    I talked to our vet because our big guy (80lb shepherd/collie/retriever mix) was not socialized very well due to some medical stuff during his first year. He had been such a wonderful dog with DH, me, and our family members that he was used to being around, but new people stress him out big time. 

We did a few of the things she suggested. The first thing she reminded me of was that the dog already realized differences and changes. He could sense the changes in the house. He most definitely sensed the changes with me and has always been my shadow, but even more when I'm pregnant. The second thing we did was put out some of the baby items a few weeks ahead of time like the bouncer, infant car seat, etc. My DH brought home one of the baby blankets from the hospital after DD was born for him to smell. 

I think the biggest help was to give the dog some individual attention from me when we came home from the hospital. She was absolutely right...they haven't seen you in a few days and then you walk in with this new baby! My DH stayed in the car with the baby for a few minutes when we got home and I went inside so the dog could get over his excitement of seeing me before bringing in the baby. He had been my baby for 7 years so it was important to make him feel comfortable too. 

I was more nervous when she started moving around and going after him. I was bit pretty badly as a kid.  We set some pretty strong boundaries very early on so DD realized what was acceptable, and the dog also realized that we were going to help protect him too!  

I had some major concerns, but she adores him and he watches and protects her just the same as he does with DH and I. 
     BFP#1- 2/12/10 DD born 10/20/10
     BFP#2- 7/27/13 EDD- 4/5/13 CP 8/4/13 @ 5weeks1day
     BFP#3- 12/1/13 EDD- 8/10/14

• Options
    edited March 2014

Some friends on mine have an EXTREMELY territorial Miniature Schnauzer. Honestly, he's a little jerk. He bites, he barks - he's a mess. So when they had their LO they were worried they might have to get rid of their dog because they were afraid he would be as aggressive around the baby, as he has been with house guests and family members in the past.

On the day they brought their LO home, they met my friend's Dad with their dog at a nearby park. The dog met the baby that way. After hanging out for 10 minutes or so, our friends took baby and dog home together. Once their dog met the baby on neutral ground AND saw the baby into the home, they haven't had a single problem since. That dog loves that baby. He's still a jerk to everyone else though.

We have a Beagle and a Basset and we plan on doing this. Our dogs love kids and people in general, but we figure it might make them feel a little more at ease than just barging through the house with a new baby.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"