April 2014 Moms

Stupid Questions Thread

Re: Stupid Questions Thread

• jgreig83 said:
    Question about cervical checks. The ladies on the FB wall are commenting on how painful these are. Are they really?
    No. The only time they were painful was when I was in active labor.
  • Loading the player...
  • aviola329 said:
    Eh a little bit of both.....follow up question. When do docs start checking dilation? I'm just trying to decide if I should start paying more attention to the state of things before appointments soon. Lol.
    My OB starts at 36 weeks.
  • Question about swaddling: do you start the first night baby is home? Or wait? I am a FTM and have no clue about this. I just bought a cute Halo sleep sack at Target, so now it's on my mind.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Question about swaddling: do you start the first night baby is home? Or wait? I am a FTM and have no clue about this. I just bought a cute Halo sleep sack at Target, so now it's on my mind.

All babies are different but its very common for most babies to be soothed best and sleep best when they are swaddled since it mimics their constrainted environment in utero. That said I've heard of babies that hated it. You'll have to see what kind of baby you get!

April 2014 May Siggy Challenge: Funny Animals- Kangaroo Mating Ritual

• Does anyone else get a  "squish" sensation in their vagina when they sit? nothing comes out but if feels like liquid is on the move.
    June Siggy Challenge

imageMy little Princess
    BFP#2 7/28/13 EDD 4/9/14 Birthday : 4/10/14 Adalyn Nanette :)
    BFP#1 6/29/12 LTMC 10/20/12 (20 weeks) induced delivery 10/22/12
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Our hospital puts them in a miracle blanket type swaddle immediately. So we just keep doing it.

This. Although after a few weeks, it became clear DD HATED Velcro swaddles, so we just switched to swaddle blankets.
    DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
  • P&B715 said:

When your water breaks, it stinks doesn't it???

Supposedly there is a sweet smell, but I think only if you sniff it. I didn't notice a smell when mine broke either time.

Married 3.14.09
    DS born 8.20.10
    MC 7.11.11
    DD born 5.24.12
    #3 EDD 4.02.14
    We start in the hospital, all 3 of my kids have done really well swaddled. This time I bought some sleep sacks and an A&A snap swaddle blanket to make things a little quicker, because I am the world's slowest swaddler!!
  • @poru HOLY MOLY... Is it werid to ask if the hair was yours or baby's? Lol

I have stupid question: SO and I CANNOT agree on a name. I have been using websites (mainly Nameberry) as a resource and don't want to have to buy/rent books that I can't filter through like websites. Any ideas for two REALLY picky people trying to choose a name? Good websites?
  • Eija3014 said:
    poru HOLY MOLY... Is it werid to ask if the hair was yours or baby's? Lol I have stupid question: SO and I CANNOT agree on a name. I have been using websites (mainly Nameberry) as a resource and don't want to have to buy/rent books that I can't filter through like websites. Any ideas for two REALLY picky people trying to choose a name? Good websites?
    I used the bump names, I went through all of them on my own and wrote down every name I could live with and then had Anthony cross off any that he couldn't live with just from that list.... might be a good way to go about it?

June Siggy Challenge

imageMy little Princess
    BFP#2 7/28/13 EDD 4/9/14 Birthday : 4/10/14 Adalyn Nanette :)
    BFP#1 6/29/12 LTMC 10/20/12 (20 weeks) induced delivery 10/22/12
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Does water give anyone else ridiculous reflux/heartburn? It is really bad, my stomach and throat feel like I am pouring acid on an open wound. They feel so raw, even just the gas from belching kills me.

April '14 Siggy Challenge:

god damn you're so effing cute gifimage

• embear22 said:
    If you find out you do have pre-e, then what? Do they just up your BP meds? Do you get put on bed rest?
    I don't think there is a simple answer for this. It all depends on how far along you are, how the baby is doing (good growth, NST), how severe your pre-e is, and if you are developing any other symptoms. They may increase your BP meds and place you on modified bed rest to keep your BP down. Usually once you get this diagnosis, you will get more fetal testing (NST, sono) and BP checks. Sorry. Not sure that this helps, but I don't think there is a clear cut answer.

• Does water give anyone else ridiculous reflux/heartburn? It is really bad, my stomach and throat feel like I am pouring acid on an open wound. They feel so raw, even just the gas from belching kills me.

I pretty much can't drink plain water. Maybe 8oz a day if I'm lucky. I drink unsweetened ice tea instead. It SUCKED during labor though, because I could only have the ice chips, and then I got insane heartburn. They gave me some maalox (I think) after I begged for it, and then about 45 minutes later I threw that up. And then I had my c-section. And then I was completely back to normal and had no food issues or heartburn.

Yeah, have no problem drinking tea. Just water. I can even drink a Dr. Pepper every once in awhile and it doesn't give me heartburn as bad as water. Guess I will drink a ton of tea. I didn't even think about only having ice chips during labor.... That is going to suuuck. Big time.

• Your body is taking care of the excrement from the baby too, don't forget.

Well shit.

Edit - I just Googled it and the articles I read said the baby pees in the amniotic fluid and then swallows it, essentially recycling the fluid. So now I'm grossed out AND still confused. Haha
    I was told by doctor that our kidneys are working in overdrive & this accounts for the excess in bladder. So just a thought I guess regardless of fluid intake we're going to be in the bathroom
  • Everyone thinks I am crazy too! I really want water though! I wake up every morning just dying for a glass, I drink one and BAM! I could cook eggs with my esophagus.

• poru said:

All the drs and nurses looked at me like "yea right lady, I'm sure just plain water gives you heartburn" when I was in labor. I wanted to kill them. I came in with a giant tumbler of ice tea and they let me drink it, but once it was gone, I was screwed. It sucked.

The worse heartburn of my entire pregnancy last time was in the hospital during L&D.  And of course when I asked for Tums, it took like 2 hours since they had to get doctor approval.  I have Tums on my hospital bag list this time.

Good idea! I would not have thought about this!

• michigancammichigancam member
    edited March 2014
    All of the above. My L&D nurse would take a large pad and layer it with several tucks then have me sit on that for a while to bring relief.
    imageimage

• Re: good name sources... Have you tried just pulling up the Social Security registry and going through the list backwards?
  • mamrotu73 said:
    What about crystal light in water? I'm not getting heartburn from water, but it is hard to drink a gallon without some flavoring each day so that has been my solution.

This is more or less my problem too, people keep telling me to push my water intake and I'm like, "But it's fucking nasty!"  So I use Mio, or those Lipton Tea and Honey things.  I know the artificial sweeteners aren't good, but it's probably better than constant dehydration. =/

A14 Siggy Challenge (November): Favorite Fall Smell
  • @AcaAwkward I may give that a shot with how desperate we are, but we generally don't like popular names. We both want something familiar but not common. That's a great suggestion though!
  • Eija3014 said:

@AcaAwkward I may give that a shot with how desperate we are, but we generally don't like popular names. We both want something familiar but not common. That's a great suggestion though!

We aren't into popular names either but I thought you could go waaaaaay back on the lists? Maybe not on the SS website itself (although you can look at names by birth year -- maybe a good way to discover an older name?), but here's a list of the SS's Top 1000!

https://www.babynamewizard.com/the-top-1000-baby-names-of-2011-united-states-of-america
  • Thank you @AcaAwkward!!! I am finally getting somewhere with my list. Now if I could just get SO to agree with me on something! ~X(
  • So I have a question....I was lying on my back for minute ...notice my belly moving up and down in a way that made me feel like as of though the baby was "hyperventilating" ...my pregnant brain promptly made me worry....is it something to worry about? I feel like as if though the baby was maybe in distress..,it that makes sense at all..

imagePregnancy Ticker

• So I have a question....I was lying on my back for minute ...notice my belly moving up and down in a way that made me feel like as of though the baby was "hyperventilating" ...my pregnant brain promptly made me worry....is it something to worry about? I feel like as if though the baby was maybe in distress..,it that makes sense at all..

Have you exp hiccups yet? My stomach started doing that during a stress test and it was hiccups!

Have you exp hiccups yet? My stomach started doing that during a stress test and it was hiccups!
    I have....but this felt faster...almost like a fast heartbeat....it was strange....

imagePregnancy Ticker

• I have a wax scheduled for today was just wondering if anyone else is getting waxed and hoping the timing works out. Today and then about a month after today and then maybe two months after baby. Weird question i know, just tired of having to shave and it is so itchy if u don't shave. Question is, it is okay to wax right? And what about the timing? Baby is due April 13.

I wouldn't worry. Babies make fast/twitching movements and I assume its because they are trying to get comfortable in a very tight space.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
                                ~Missed MC at 8 weeks. D&C at 12 weeks on 4/17/13~ 
       Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • EmbeansEmbeans member
    edited March 2014
    Im getting waxed today too. Im not going to schedule another appointment yet but I will probably go a week before my due date April 14. And its perfectly fine to get waxed but it may be a bit more painful due to the extra blood circulation in that area.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image BabyFruit Ticker image
  • Totally fine to get waxed, but it hurts like a bitch! I usually don't bat an eye at waxing and the bikini wax I got before my CS with DD was horrendous. You might see if those topical numbing agents are safe to use during pregnancy.
  • mamrotu73 said:

What about crystal light in water?
    I'm not getting heartburn from water, but it is hard to drink a gallon without some flavoring each day so that has been my solution.

Before using Crystal Light check with your OB. I asked about it an mine said there was something in it that's a no no, and she preferred me to avoid it. She's really laid back about that stuff so if she says no she has a pretty good reason.

Of course all OB's and opinions are different yours may be totally ok with it!

BabyFetus Ticker

• When are we far enough along that they wouldn't stop labor if it started? I know there are lots of factors and that it varies woman to woman. If the water hasn't broken is there a standard? Just wondering as I inch ever closer to the end. 
    Generally, most doctors and midwives won't stop anything after 37 weeks.  At 36 wks 3 days like you are it's up to the doc, but most will just let it go naturally.  There are a lot of factors to consider when making this decision.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Girl: 2014/4/25  K: Born 2012/02/20
    BFP 12/31/2010; missed m/c @ 6w1d, medical m/c(Misoprostol)@ 13w2d.    My Blog

• When are we far enough along that they wouldn't stop labor if it started? I know there are lots of factors and that it varies woman to woman. If the water hasn't broken is there a standard? Just wondering as I inch ever closer to the end. 

I think this varies from practice to practice but from what I've seen it varies from 34-36 weeks. A friend of mine was 4-5 cm dilated at 36 weeks and they put her on bedrest but they told her they wouldn't do anything to stop it if he came anyway (he hung out another 3 weeks). I feel like bedrest is still an intervention to help prevent labor but it's not actually interventions like medications and such which I'm assuming is what you're asking.

Married 3.14.09
    DS born 8.20.10
    MC 7.11.11
    DD born 5.24.12
    #3 EDD 4.02.14

Mine said that they wouldn't stop anything at 36 weeks or past.
  • Mamamonzo said:
    What about crystal light in water? I'm not getting heartburn from water, but it is hard to drink a gallon without some flavoring each day so that has been my solution.
    Before using Crystal Light check with your OB. I asked about it an mine said there was something in it that's a no no, and she preferred me to avoid it. She's really laid back about that stuff so if she says no she has a pretty good reason. Of course all OB's and opinions are different yours may be totally ok with it!
    I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure it has aspartame in it.
    Why do my boobs look so good?image
    Then I peed on a stick...image
  • nikki912nikki912 member
    edited March 2014
    Any STM already drop? I was under the impression that your second doesn't drop until the very end if at all. With my son I dropped at 32/33 weeks but knew it meant nothing and he came at 41.5 weeks.

I definitely think baby has dropped- breathing easier, belly sitting on my lap, a lot more pressure on my cervix/pubic bone, underwear not fitting right anymore. Any insight STM+?

I'm almost 34 weeks

April 2014 May Siggy Challenge: Funny Animals- Kangaroo Mating Ritual

• @nikki912 Sounds like baby dropped. 

My second dropped at 36 weeks and this guy made his first drop at 28 weeks and has gotten lower every other week since. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
                                ~Missed MC at 8 weeks. D&C at 12 weeks on 4/17/13~ 
       Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • amhah09amhah09 member
    edited March 2014
    nikki912 said:

Any STM already drop? I was under the impression that your second doesn't drop until the very end if at all. With my son I dropped at 32/33 weeks but knew it meant nothing and he came at 41.5 weeks.

I definitely think baby has dropped- breathing easier, belly sitting on my lap, a lot more pressure on my cervix/pubic bone, underwear not fitting right anymore. Any insight STM+?

I'm almost 34 weeks

I always thought subsequent pregnancies didn't "drop" either but I think it's just because they typically start out earlier. So while they do continue to drop and move down, it's not as drastic as the lightening that FTM typically experience.

At 34 weeks this LO (my third) was at a -2 station so I assume that means she's "dropped" if she's in the pelvic inlet.

ETA - but I have been feeling all the "dropped" symptoms for weeks longer than that. She's always been a lower kicker. I very rarely felt kicks much past my belly button until more recently where I'm sure it's just because she's longer. None of my pants or underwear (I still wear non maternity scrubs at work) have fit right because the belly is so low, and I've been struggling with a smidge of SPD since like 30-32 weeks and it just keeps getting worse.

Married 3.14.09
    DS born 8.20.10
    MC 7.11.11
    DD born 5.24.12
    #3 EDD 4.02.14
  • nikki912 said:

I'm almost 34 weeks

Is this how it feels when the baby drops? I've read and heard about it, but I am unsure what it means.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"