September 2012 Moms
Options

S12 Life Hacks

There is nothing I love more than finding a little life hack that makes me wonder how I ever did without said life hack. So.... what are your favorite life hacks? (Sorry if that is a stupid term-- I couldn't think of anything better, and that's what Pinterest calls them!)

For the fluffiest mashed potatoes, don't use milk. Use the water that was used to boil the potatoes! It sounds nuts, but it's absolutely true. I used to use either milk or chicken broth, and you can definitely taste the difference using water. I just scrub the potatoes really well before I boil so the water is not nasty.

Also, this one is probably well known, but the best bathroom cleaner is hands down vinegar and blue dawn mixed. Smells awful, but works SOO well!

Please share yours!

Re: S12 Life Hacks

• Options
    To crack an egg without mess? Tap it in the middle with a sharp kitchen knife. It gives it a clean crack and practically zero mess.

[MC 11.20.11] [DS born 9.24.12] [DD born 10.15.14]

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Shred chicken with your mixer, parchment paper and cold dough for cookies- slightly undercook and keep on the baking sheet to finish. Cup of water in the microwave to clear messes quickly.

"I will show you the kind of big sister I will be..."
  • Options
    You might've thought of this already but I just "learned" this in the last year or so.

Ziplock bags. For everything: snacks, toiletries on a trip, holding napkins.

Saves space from tupperware containers, fits better in purse/diaper bag, keeps toiletries that spill contained.

Definitely not a "green" technique, but I love me my ziplock bags.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    To easily peel a banana, squeeze the bottom of it.  Opens right up!
    Double the love
    photo Eastercollage_zps0735f04a.jpg
    7/30/12 - B/G twins born at 33w4d due to PPROM
  • Options
    To get super fluffy pancakes don't over stir. Pancake batter that still has lumps in it makes the best pancakes.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Eastie156 said:

To crack an egg without mess? Tap it in the middle with a sharp kitchen knife. It gives it a clean crack and practically zero mess.

Tried this today and still ended up with a few pieces of egg shell in the bowl:/ I hate cracking eggs. It's one of my least favorite kitchen jobs. I would hire out if I could.
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

Eastie156 said:

Tried this today and still ended up with a few pieces of egg shell in the bowl:/ I hate cracking eggs. It's one of my least favorite kitchen jobs. I would hire out if I could.
    I always crack eggs on a flat surface. I normally crack one handed and I never have shells.

• Options
    To separate yolks from egg whites, use an empty water bottle. Crack the full egg into a bowl, then slightly squeeze the bottle over the yolk, release, and it will suck the yolk out of the egg and into the empty water bottle. 
    Me: 27 DH: 28
    Diagnosis: PCOS, irregular cycles, old lady eggs. DH is fine.
    Started TTC in January 2010. BFP December 25, 2011 between IF appts. 
    DD born August 31, 2012
    Began TTC again in Jan. 2013. 
    Four rounds of Clomid - BFN
    Fifth round of Clomid September/Oct - cancelled
    HSG scheduled for Oct. 30 - Tubes all clear
    December: Round one of Femara  - BFN
    Round two - ? 

image image image
  • Options
    You can iron a water stain out of a wood table.  Just place a smooth cloth over the spot, put the iron on the steam setting, and gently go back and forth over it.  It will come right up.
  • Options
    alli84 said:
    For painting stripes on a wall: paint the lighter color on the full wall, put up tape for the lines and paint over the edge of the tape with the base color. Then after that dries, paint your stripe color. Painting over the tape with the base color will keep the stripe color from bleeding under and you'll get crisp lines.
    If you want to go green, try Blue Avocado bags -- reusable Ziplocs

• Options

To separate yolks from egg whites, use an empty water bottle. Crack the full egg into a bowl, then slightly squeeze the bottle over the yolk, release, and it will suck the yolk out of the egg and into the empty water bottle. 
    Don't you just use the egg shell?

I use the egg shell. There was an episode of the kitchen where they used the yolk sucker thing. Shell was quicker and no cleanup
  • Options
    I never use a shell to separate eggs.  I crack the egg into my hand and then strain through my fingers.  Less risk for error.

Also, I use leftover lemon rinds/skins to clean my garbage disposal.  I also use coffee grounds and dried egg shells to fertilize my plants.  Works better than any store bought stuff I've tried.

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• Options
    I never use a shell to separate eggs.  I crack the egg into my hand and then strain through my fingers.  Less risk for error.

Also, I use leftover lemon rinds/skins to clean my garbage disposal.  I also use coffee grounds and dried egg shells to fertilize my plants.  Works better than any store bought stuff I've tried.
    DH swears by egg shells for tomato plants.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"