TTC after 35
Options

Acupuncturist

Are any of you seeing an acupuncturist for fertility? While I don't have any known issues I figure anything I can do to help this process is worth giving it a shot. What exactly do they do or say they can specifically help? I went ahead and made a consultation appointment for Wednesday.

Re: Acupuncturist

• Options
    I have seen an acupuncturist in the past, and I definitely believed acupuncture helped me conceive and carry almost to term. My acupuncturist specialized in female fertility (I would look for an acupuncturist who specializes in this), and it's all about the blood flow in your body, clearing blockages, aligning things.... I am sure the acupuncturist will explain far better than I can. I found it fantastic for stress relief. I did one one-on-one appointment, and then switched to group acupuncture, as it was cheaper!!!

Me: 42, DH: 40; Surprise BFP 4/27/2011; no heartbeat at 9w3d, we miss you, Baby Manatee; D&C 6/1/2011; AF returned 6/26/2011; Ready to try for our take-home baby. 7/24/2011--BFP! Peanut born March 2012; BFP: 7/31/2013!; blighted ovum at 7 weeks 8/26/2013. Holy Cannoli! BFP 2/23/2014. EDD 11/6/2014!  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Davie813Davie813 member
    edited February 2014
    No advice, unfortunately, just a question. Will/did either of your insurance cover any of this? Is it expensive?

ETA, I'm considering it as well...
    *****Signature/Ticker Warning******

Me: 41, DH: 45
    DD, 6/15/2013
    TTC #2 beginning January 2014
    AMH 1.05; FSH range 7-11

July 2014: IUI #1.  Follistim + Pregnyl.  2 follicles--BFN
    September 2014: IUI #2.  Follistim + Pregnyl + Ganirelix + Crinone.  4(?) follicles--BFN
    October 2014: IUI #3.  More Follistim + More Ganirelix + Pregnyl + Crinone.  4 follicles--BFP!  Beta #1=10 Beta #2=33 Beta #3=97 Beta #4=158.  M/C 11/1/14
    December 2014: IVF #1.  Microdose Lupron protocol.  9R, 9M, 9F.  3 5-day blasts transferred 12/15. BFFN.
    April 2015: IVF #2.  Microdose Lupron protocol.  16R, 15M, 12F. Transferred 2 5-day blasts 4/12 and froze 4--BFP!  M/C 5/25/15
    August 2015: IVF #3.  14R, 13M, 11F.  Froze 5 blasts for CCS testing.  3 normals.  FET planned for 10/2015.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My Ovulation Chart

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have done acupuncture. I love it - it is so calming. I have a good friend who is an acupuncturist and she highly recommends it for fertility. 

My insurance covers 16 visits per year, but I love acu so much that I'd pay out of pocket for it.

Sarah, 38 | Nathan, 40 | Maxine b. 11/2014 | TTC #2

• Options
    One way to find local practitioners who specialize in fertility is this organization:

In addition to the treatment, they will also probably provide some lifestyle/dietary recommendations and suggest herbal supplements. 

In my area, there are usually several Groupon/daily deals on acupuncture that can help save costs if your unsure about trying it out, or want to try a couple different practitioners before committing. Finding a good deal actually motivated me to give it another try, which I'm glad I did, because even though I didn't have any issues with the first provider, I think the 2nd provider is going to be a better fit for me.

Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• Options
    fabumama - I have been going to a fertility acupuncturist since October.  I can't say if it works since I have only gotten BFNs but I am willing to try it.  

I am not a fan of needles and therefore it took me a long time to get to the point where I didn't dread going.  It doesn't hurt - but I think it is the psychological aspect that I can't get past.  I still don't really relax but I try.

From what I understand, the needles are put in at certain pressure points to help improve blood circulation and blood flow to the uterus.  Depending on where in my cycle and based on what my latest E2, P4 and number of follicles, the needles are in my back (pre-transfer only), legs, wrists, scalp, ears and  abdomen (prior to transfer only for abdomen). 

I think the thinking is that by increasing blood flow to your uterus, you are helping the uterine lining, etc.  But I am just guessing from what my acupuncturist has said.

Do I think this helps - I honestly can't say, but since my RE endorsed it and recommended my acupuncturist, I certainly think it can't hurt.  

Just make sure you are seeing someone who specializes in fertility.  Good luck!
    ***signature/ticker warning***
    Me:37 DH:39
    TTC#1 since 3/2012

Diagnosis : Unexplained Infertility

3 BFN rounds Clomid + IUI
    IVF 1 - BFN, 1 Frozen
    IVF 2 - BFN, 5 Frozen
    FET 1 - BFP!!! EDD 1/24/15 Beta 1: 700, Beta 2: 2,156; 1st U/S 6w3d: HB 118bpm, 2nd U/S 9w3d: HB 171bpm

imageimageimage
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks to all of you for your insight! I went tonight and got my first treatment. Based on my health history and first pregnancy, she seems pretty confident that she can help me conceive faster by increasing blood flow and "strengthening" the lining of my uterus. Also, I had low progesterone at the beginning of my first pregnancy when I got pregnant with our daughter and she said she could help with that also. Time will tell.
  • Options
    @Davie813 My insurance does not cover it. She charges $65 a session.
  • Options
    I've heard wonderful things and have friends who swear by acupuncture.  That being said, I tried it and felt it wasn't for me.  I hope you find what works for you.  Good luck!

f/k/a/ Kari3629

Me: 40/DH: 34

Unexplained IF

IVF #1 - 9/2013 8ER/5M/4EF/4ET = BFN

IVF #2 - 2/2014 - Fingers crossed this is the one!

4ER/3EF/3 "beautiful embryos" transferred - Beta March 7 = BFN :(

Everyone Welcome!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimageimage

• Options
    fabumama said:
    Thanks to all of you for your insight! I went tonight and got my first treatment. Based on my health history and first pregnancy, she seems pretty confident that she can help me conceive faster by increasing blood flow and "strengthening" the lining of my uterus. Also, I had low progesterone at the beginning of my first pregnancy when I got pregnant with our daughter and she said she could help with that also. Time will tell.
    Good to hear this! How often does she say you should go? I've been to two sessions, at 70 dollars each session, quite expensive. She says I should go once a week, but I dont think I will have the time or money for weekly sessions. 
    Me: 38, DH: 41
    TTC#2 since Feb 2013
    10/13: 1st IUI, BFN
    02/14: 2nd IUI, BFN
    03/14: HSG done, found out right tube is slightly blocked
    04/14: 3rd IUI, BFN
    05/14: 4th IUI, BFN
    07/14: IVF no. 1, BFN
    11/14: IVF no. 2, BFP

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @Kissmark. My acupuncturist also recommended once a week but she said every other week would still be helpful also. I'm going to go every week this month and next month for sure. It is expensive and the only reason I'm able to pay for it is thanks to my new side business since I am a new stay at home mom. I also figure if it works it is less expensive than paying for fertility treatments in 6 months. She said they sell discounted packages of 10 sessions but she said she didn't think I would need that many. She actually said she thinks I should be able to get pregnant in 2-3 months with her help based on my history. I told her she was very confident. It kind of made me nervous that she would even say that. But I'm going with that positivity for now.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"