TTC After a Loss

Question for the dairy-free ladies

I have been experimenting with minimizing my dairy intake because of my PCOS and have been trying alternative types of "milk."  I am usually pretty adventurous, but I just can't seem to acquire a taste for almond milk despite trying several brands and types.  I like soy milk, but am avoiding because I have heard that soy can mess with estrogen levels.

Any thoughts on a better substitute?  What do you prefer to put in your smoothies in the morning?

I have seen rice milk and flax milk in my local grocery store, but haven't tried them.  I have also heard that specialty stores carry hemp and coconut milk.

BFP#1 - M/C on 12/23/13
~*~*~December 2014 PGaL ~*~*~
Rainbow baby born on 12/19/2014

Re: Question for the dairy-free ladies

• Unsweetened vanilla almond milk is my number one but coconut milk is great too! It's a little sweet but definitely would taste great in a smoothie

Me (30) DH (31) Married 5/13, TTC since 2/13
    BFP #1 Blighted Ovum resulting in D&C on 11/1/13
    BFP #2 Ectopic Pg, lap surgery on 3/12/14, R tube removed

BFP # 3, EDD 2/21/15 * please be our rainbow*
  • Thanks ladies!  I'll have to take another look for the coconut milk - maybe I saw the Silk packaging and thought it was all soy. 

Any of you ever try the rice milk or flax? 

BFP#1 - M/C on 12/23/13

• Loading the player...
  • I drink almond milk. I like coconut milk but it has too many calories. Hemp milk tastes nutty. @ToriGirl2014 try starting with chocolate almond milk to help you get used to it.

BFP 9/24/13 EDD 6/8/14 no HB at 1st U/S Stopped growing at 7 weeks D&C 11/01/13

• ktlovess said:

Thanks ladies!  I'll have to take another look for the coconut milk - maybe I saw the Silk packaging and thought it was all soy. 

Any of you ever try the rice milk or flax? 

I actually really hate rice milk, and I have never tried flax. And, to me, almond milk is gross too, especially the chocolate flavour.  :-&
    Haha!  Good to know about the rice milk.  You just saved me $4!!
    BFP#1 - M/C on 12/23/13

• I personally hate everything to do with coconut so have never tried the coconut milk. When I first went DF I used soy milk but then decided to cut it out since I am borderline intolerant to soy. I have been using almond milk ever since and love it. But I only like the Silk brand and it has to be unsweetened. I haven't acquired enough of a taste for it to drink it straight but I enjoy it on my cereal and in recipes, smoothies etc. The chocolate almond milk is the best.

I haven't tried rice because I've heard bad things about it and didn't even know there was a flax. Good luck finding something that you like!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Started TTC June 2010
    BFP #1
    07/04/10. EDD 03/14/11. Missed m/c 08/09/10. D&C 09/27/10. }Casey & Jaimie{
    BFP #2 01/14/11. EDD 09/25/11. Missed m/c 02/18/11. D&C 02/24/11. }Dustin{
    TTA for 18 months and then TTC for 12 months
    BFP #3 08/18/13. EDD 04/30/14. Missed m/c 09/25/13. D&C 09/26/13. }Daylin{
    TTA for 7 months
    Jan-Mar 2014 - RPL, SHG, karotyping: all results normal
    TTC Again May 2014
    Progesterone & baby aspirin combo for 5 cycles
    - All BFN's
    SA with DNA fragmentation = Perfect results

Diagnostic cycle monitoring = Polycystic ovaries leading to premature egg release
    TTA Oct 2014 - Jan 2015
    Jan 2015 - Medicated cycle with timed intercourse
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic   

My Blog: The Canadian Housewife    PGAL/PAL Welcome    My Chart
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I've never been a fan of milk and don't drink any of the alternatives (it's a mental texture thing), so I don't have any opinion flavor-wise. As far as flax milk, flax has phytoestrogens similar to soy. I do use coconut milk for some baking occassionally and either purchase it in a can (Native Forest brand) or make my own (link for recipe below). The boxed ones have too many additives for me.

https://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2013/09/easy-homemade-coconut-milk-using-shredded-cocoonut/

1 miracle Earth baby and 5 Angel babies

~All welcome~

• Hawkward said:
    I love almond milk, but I'm picky about the brand. I love BlueDiamond (especially the unsweetened vanilla) and hate Silk. If I'm cooking something that is not sweet, then I get plain almond milk because it seems like it adds the least flavor of "fake milks" with an okay texture.

I like SoDelicious for coconut creamer, and their yogurt is okay (Trader Joe's is better).

Go Veggie! cheese is okay if you need a cheese substitute. The taste is meh but I like the way it melts.

Unsweetened vanilla almond milk with a little coconut cream and cocoa powder makes really good homemade ice cream.
    I usually go with the blue diamond vanilla almond too.

***TTCAL January siggy challenge ***
  • So ladies just wanted to let you know I found the SoCoconut milk in my grocery store's organic aisle. It is really good! Thanks so much!
    BFP#1 - M/C on 12/23/13

• Hawkward said:
    I love almond milk, but I'm picky about the brand. I love BlueDiamond (especially the unsweetened vanilla) and hate Silk. If I'm cooking something that is not sweet, then I get plain almond milk because it seems like it adds the least flavor of "fake milks" with an okay texture.

I like SoDelicious for coconut creamer, and their yogurt is okay (Trader Joe's is better).

Go Veggie! cheese is okay if you need a cheese substitute. The taste is meh but I like the way it melts.

Unsweetened vanilla almond milk with a little coconut cream and cocoa powder makes really good homemade ice cream.
    Would you mind sharing your recipe for ice cream with almond milk? My husband is lactose intolerant and allergic to corn, and I've been wanting to use my ice cream maker. What you described sounds delicious. :)
    DH diagnosed with testicular cancer 6/04/10
    Married DH 8/1/11
    7/21/13 SA poor morphology/ low count
    BFP #1 11/18/13, EDD 7/22/14 
    MC Blighted Ovum 12/4/13 @ 7wks
    BFP #2 8/21/14, EDD 5/1/15 

All Welcome
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am also a HUGE fan of the Blue Diamond UNSWEETENED VANILLA almond milk.  I love it so much, I can actually drink it straight- took me a little while to get used to it, but now I can drink glasses and glasses!  Recently, Silk Almond was on sale and I had a coupon so I tried it- UGH! GROSS!  I couldn't believe it tasted so much different.  

I also just bought Blue Diamond Coconut-Almond milk.  It's a mix between both and it's DELICIOUS.  It does have a coconut taste, so I only use it in my coffee and smoothies, not in cereal or to dunk my Oreos in! Haha!  

SO DELICIOUS makes great ice cream alternatives!
    Me-28 DH-37
    Together since 02/28/2007
    Married since 09/07/2013

BFP 02/01/14 EDD 10/10/14 ...MC 02/08/14 
    CURRENTLY WAITING FOR AF TO RETURN...
    :: TICK TOCK::TICK TOCK::

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"