Preemies

Feedings

My little guy is about a week and half old.  He would have been 35 weeks on Tuesday.  Im have been blessed that he has been doing really well.  We are just working on his energy level so he can finish all his feedings.  He gets close to the end and falls asleep they have to finish his feedings through his tube.  He has to go 24 hours with finishing all his feedings to take the tube out then we can start to think about him coming home.  I was just wondering if there was a certain age or gestational week that your little one started to get a boost in their energy level. I just want him to come home so badly, its so hard when he does a few feedings in a row then has to go back to the tube feeding. 
Thanks for any input.

Re: Feedings

• My daughter was on caffeine for a few days to bring her energy up. She took 5weeks to have the energy to eat, but it only took one 24hr period and boom the took out the tube and sent her home. It was hard getting there but once she was there she moved out of the nicu so fast it was almost scary! She was 33weeks but was a little tiny thing @ 2lbs 13ounces. So all babies are different. Sounds like your LO is doing well.
  • They have it where he needs to finish each feeding for 24 hours. They are feeding him every three hours. Today he seemed to be doing well, but my husband just got home from his feeding and said he was very sleepy and didn't finish. I will ask about the daily goal and see what they say. 
    Thanks 
  • Loading the player...
  • We are going through the same thing right now with our twin girls. They are 12 days old (34+5 adjusted). After very limited success with breastfeeding i decided to introduce bottles just 2 days ago. The girls are doing well and are taking 3-4 feedings from the bottle right now, but also sometimes lose energy near the end.

Our nurses and doctors also said that because of their young gestational age that they are doing well, and as they get older it will get easier. BUT to expect some ups and downs along the way, since it's usually around 36w that babes can reliably take all their feedings from breast or bottle.

I'm also anxious to get the NG tubes and get the girls a step closer to home.

Hang in there momma! It will come for us both :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"