Special Needs

Anyone try just casein-free diet?

I am considering diet changes for DS - in a while. I just started logging all food/behavior and want to do that for a while so I have baseline behavior to compare any changes to. I also want to run some allergy tests and see if anything obvious comes up in those. My gut feeling is gluten isn't an issue but he did have a sensitivity to casein/whey/soy as a baby (I eliminated all of those to nurse and used Alimentum as formula supplement).

So, casein is a strong possibility. But I don't see anything online about just a casein-free diet online. Anyone try it? Any success? What improved - sensory issues, speech, behavior?

TIA!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anyone try just casein-free diet?

• thank you. I am hesitant to do anything major because DS's ASD is very mild and primarily social. The only GI issue he has is gas and occasional constipation. His doctor said it was nothing out of ordinary. He's not aggressive and talks quite a bit. No major issues with tantrums either. His speech issues are primarily pragmatic speech (conversation skills).

I am hesitant to start a very limited diet because it will effect integration in social settings (i.e can't have the pizza and cake at friend's birthday party) and that's what he needs the most. So, I'm thinking of doing the less restrictive one first especially since he used to have gastric issues with dairy/soy (no issues with wheat/oats) as a baby.
  • Casein free has helped here. Sometimes I think it's all in my head but then I got a report from her slp yesterday that I hadn't informed of the dietary change that she seemed more engaged and focused. It also helped with DDs gas issues. Since you do have some GI symptoms present I would definitely give it a shot. It doesn't need to be socially isolating--I bring dd her stuff to events and she's able to sit with the other kids and eat.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks everyone. I am going to try it after a few weeks of monitoring what he eats now. He's very picky right now so pinpointing the casein sources should be easy. :)

I was just curious because everything I see is about both GFCF.
  • bliss611 said:
    Thanks everyone. I am going to try it after a few weeks of monitoring what he eats now. He's very picky right now so pinpointing the casein sources should be easy. :)

I was just curious because everything I see is about both GFCF.
    Would love an update in a couple weeks - DD has questionable allergies to dairy and definate intolerance as well as very aggressive, non-social, not on task (even for just past 2.5 years), etc so looking at making more steps to take it out in the "mainstream" world once meals are not reliant on daycare and my parents are better educated or an allergist confirms. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"