Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

When to switch from full fat to low fat?

Does anyone know the recommended age you can stop giving whole milk and full fat dairy products and start the low fat stuff? Or share what your pediatrician recommended? My husband bought the Yo Kids yogurt the other day, which is low fat instead of the full fat like the Yo Toddler and Yo Baby, so it got me wondering when the transition normally is. DS has always been in the lower percentile for weight but is gaining fine and eats pretty well the majority of the time. Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: When to switch from full fat to low fat?

• Our pediatrician said 2 years, but DS is very lean so she said it was our choice, 2% or whole would be fine. He drinks a lot, so I did switch him to 2%, but now he drinks a combo of 2% and whole (I buy the whole for his sister and she isn't into it yet, so he finishes it).

I don't buy any reduced fat milk products for the kids, like cheese, yogurt etc, I still get whole milk products unless they don't have them. String cheese is the only thing that comes to mind where I only see part-skim in the store.
    DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • I personally wouldn't worry about yogurt as long as you still give whole milk.  I give DS yogurt and it is usually all low fat but he drinks enough whole milk during the day he is fine.
  • Loading the player...
  • The only thing I consciously buy full fat is milk - I asked about the yogurt/ cheese and my pedi said not to worry about ensuring those were full fat.  He said we'll discuss lowering the milk to LowFat at her 2 year appointment.  
    T & J 5.9.09
    MMC 2.12.11 @ 8w
    PVM 5.8.12
    GWM 3.17.15
    RPM 2.21.19

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • We drink whole milk in our family. 

BabyFruit Ticker

• Full fat products are actually better for everyone. We drink 2% milk (taste preference) but get full fat everything else. To answer your question, our pedi said at the 2y appt that we could switch him to whatever milk we are drinking. 
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Full fat products are actually better for everyone. We drink 2% milk (taste preference) but get full fat everything else. To answer your question, our pedi said at the 2y appt that we could switch him to whatever milk we are drinking. 
    This!  We all eat full fat diary products at our house.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
    This!  We all eat full fat diary products at our house.
    Dairy products I mean.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My pediatrician says you can switch at 3 years, but you don't have to.

I am not going to.  Fat is healthy for growing children.  Fat also does not make you fat metabolically speaking.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"