Working Moms

pediatricians & sick visits- am I silly for being frustrated by this?

We aren't happy at our practice for a number of reasons and are trying to find a new one that will fit us better but this one thing makes me crazy and I don't know if it is just normal practice at most places (we used to be in a differnet state at a different practice that was not like this).

For any visits that are not well/routine (e.g. scheduled weeks/months ahead), you can ONLY call the morning of the appt day.  They don't open phone lines until 830am so for anyone who is supposed to be traveling to work in the AM, that means you're either already at work or in the car trying to call or you have to stay home & call b/c if you get an earlier appt then you'd have to turn around & drive back home again. For those of us w/ a 45 min commute, this is a huge PITA.  Then on top of it, many days I have to hit redial for 10-15 minutes straight before I actually get through on the phone line.  Pediatricians at our practice only work 3 days a week as well, and when you call if it isn't totally urgent and it's your pedis day off, they try to get you to consider coming in on a day when they are in, but when you can't call until 830am that same day, you have no idea what part of your day you'll have to cancel or rearrange until 830 or 845 AM the morning of. I TOTALLY get wanting to see your normal dr to manage your child's health but when you can't make an appt ahead of time it is ridiculous to me. (I actually work in healthcare so I do get it, I just find it completely inconvenient for parents, esp those who work f/t)

Is this how your practices work also???

Re: pediatricians & sick visits- am I silly for being frustrated by this?

• Nope. That is really strange and annoying. Our practice is amazingly flexible and I love them. There are sick walk in hours every single morning from 7:30 to 8:30 and Monday and Friday afternoons. No appointment necessary - you just sign in during that time and they see the patients in order. They also have evening and weekend appts for a $20 fee.

My only complaint is that our practice seems to be getting very busy and the past few visits we have waited a long time for the doctor.
    DS: 2/17/11          DD: 9/4/13
  • Thanks...glad I'm not crazy. DD has a non urgent issue & I have all day open so I  got an appt w/ a different dr b/c mine is not in today> they tried to get me to consider coming in on one of her days so I looked at my calendar and asked about tomorrow afternoon. they said they can't make the appt today but that her day tomorrow is pretty booked full (read: you'll be waiting a long time even if you can get a PM appt whne you call tomorrow morning) so I'm just going to see the other dr today. I need to ask around for some new recs.

• Loading the player...
  • Ours is similar but I have never had an issue with it.  Sick visits can only be scheduled day of, but they do open the phones at 8 am, so a little earlier than your office.  I have found I have to be ready to call at 8:00 and just hit redial a couple of times to get through, because everyone else is trying to get through too.  But it does not take 10 - 15 minutes, more like dialing 2 or 3 times.  There are multiple docs, and if your doc does not have an opening, you can see any of the others.  I have seen all of the current docs in the practice and we are happy with any of them seeing our DS.

If LO is sick enough for a dr's visit, I probably would not be going into work that day anyway, so I have never tried to go to work and then called and had to go home.  If I am taking DS to the dr. at any point that day, it would not make sense for me to go to work because my work is so far from home.  Also, I usually find that if I call first thing in the morning I can get a morning appt with one of the docs.  Our practice does have evening hours, so if DS was sick but could still go to school/camp/whatever (he is out of DC) then I suppose I could call first thing in the AM for an evening appt.  But generally if I am planning to take him into the Dr. that day then I don't try to go to work too.

But if the way they do this is not working for you then I would consider finding another practice.

• groovygrlgroovygrl member
    edited February 2014
    There are lots of reasons I don't have to have LO stay home  b/c they're not contagious but would want a 'sick' visit- e.g. today it is a cough that is lingering but not reason for her to stay home, it could be a skin thing, or maybe some minor injury that isn't healing as planned, some odd non-urgent musculoskeletal complaint,  etc.

Side note, I did get through in just 8 dials today! But most days I count on about 7-10 min of redialing on average. I have had it go up to 15 min which is just crazy.
  • Our practice is great, they have like 5 offices, and have walkin sick hours M-F from 8-9am at 2 of the offices. You can also call anytime to get a same day or next day sick appointment. They have evening and weekend appointments too. Downside is it is a huge practice, like 10 doctors and nurse practitioners so you are always seeing someone different. Yesterday my son got sick and I called around 5pm, they were able to see him at 7pm last night. Sometimes we do wait a long time when we are there, but the convenience of their hours and walkin sick hours are worth it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I like our practice and how they handle sick hours.  Their hours are actually in the afternoon, and honestly- I'm glad.  Most of the times when DS has been sick - it's something that has come on during the day.  We don't necessarily have concerns first thing in the morning.

BUT - they also ask that we call in if we think we need to bring DS in.  the reason is that they actually try to fit us in w/ our pedi, which I prefer.  Waiting for the sick hours- who knows if it will be a mad house and/or which doctor we'll see.
  • groovygrl said:
    There are lots of reasons I don't have to have LO stay home  b/c they're not contagious but would want a 'sick' visit- e.g. today it is a cough that is lingering but not reason for her to stay home, it could be a skin thing, or maybe some minor injury that isn't healing as planned, some odd non-urgent musculoskeletal complaint,  etc.

Side note, I did get through in just 8 dials today! But most days I count on about 7-10 min of redialing on average. I have had it go up to 15 min which is just crazy.
    Then if they have evening hours I would probably call first thing in the AM to schedule an evening visit.  But bottom line is, if it's not working for you then I would definitely switch.  The way my ped's office handles their daily sick visits seems to run a little more smoothly than yours.  I definitely would not want to have to call for 15 minutes to get through.

• I'm at a tiny practice - two peds - and we definitely can call to schedule sick visits the morning of (the first 20 minutes of phone time in the AM before the offices open is reserved specifically for this purpose - taking calls for the sick days that day) but we are also free to schedule a sick visit ahead of time if we so choose - usually it's not something urgent in that case, maybe we want a rash checked out or to confirm an infection is cleared out - but yeah, when I've called the nurse advice line, I'm usually given the option the schedule a sick appt to check it out in person. I don't see what your practice thinks they're gaining by not allowing that. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Ours is exactly the same way, although we can see other docs, and what is really annoying is they want you to talk to a nurse before making an appointment and the nurses never answer so leaving a message and wait for a call back.  I went off on the front desk person and did not feel bad she was rude when I said I knew my child needed to be seen I did not need a nurse to confirm that let me make an appointment.  We have a well visit tomorrow and I plan to discuss the issues with our doc.  I am very close to finding another practice, which is sad because I love our pedi.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Ours is similar. They have walk-in hours for one hour every morning, and don't open the phone lines beforehand. We usually end up at a different clinic in the group on the other side of town that keeps longer hours because we can never get in to ours. I have actually considered switching to the other one altogether, but since DS is not sick often (knock on wood), I haven't bothered.
  • I'm jealous of some of your peds.

I'm generally happy with ours.  They don't open until 8:30 but we have never had a problem getting a same day appointment and can generally pick morning or afternoon.  We either see our primary doctor or her PA and we love both of them.

The only thing that I don't love is that they use a service for the after hour calls and so we never talk to our doctor or our nurses.  It usually isn't a big deal, though.  A good friend of mine is my and DH's primary doctor and I can always call him if I have an evening/weekend question about the kids.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• K3am said:

We have Kaiser, and I can't praise it enough. I think before I had a kid, I didn't really care one way or the other, but their system rocks. We have a 24 hour advice line we can call, and they'll schedule an appointment for you, even if you're calling at 1am. They have Saturday and Sunday hours for sick child visits (I don't think they're available for well child, but I could be wrong), and there's no extra fee. This was awesome - when DD had bronciolitis, we were able to get a Sunday appointment and not have to wait in the ER or urgent care. 

I miss my Kaiser Permanente insurance so much! For all of these reasons. Please move into NJ, Kaiser.
  • Our practice doesn't open the phones until 8 or 8:30, but 1) they give you an appointment with the NP or another ped. if your kid is legitimately sick rather than having them wait and be miserabl.  I don't care who my kid sees if she has a fever and an ear infection, or whatever - I just want her to be seen and get meds if she needs them.  And 2) I'm sure if you can't make an appointment for that day they would let you schedule for the next morning.  Why in the hell can't you call on a Tuesday afternoon and book an appointment for a Wednesday morning??  That makes no sense at all.
    imageimageimage
  • QueSrah said:
     And 2) I'm sure if you can't make an appointment for that day they would let you schedule for the next morning.  Why in the hell can't you call on a Tuesday afternoon and book an appointment for a Wednesday morning??  That makes no sense at all.
    Our practice absolutely will not do this and I sense the OP's is the same.  It is a little annoying, but once I have gotten used to it then it is no big deal.  But also my DS is older and we don't have that many sick visits anymore. 

• Oh gosh, I was just complaining about the availability of my son's pedi.  They don't open until 8:30 am either, and CLOSE DOWN completely for lunch from 12-2pm AND only work half days on Fridays.  They don't work weekends either.

I needed to schedule my son's school physical on a Friday afternoon, but now he's going to be late to school that morning because the close at noon on Fridays.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• That sounds very strange.  Our practice has about 10 pedis (I know some people want to see only their pedi all the time; I really don't care); DS sees "his" pedi for well child check ups and will see her for sick child visits if she's working that day.  Our practice is open from 8:30AM till 9PM at night on weekdays and 8AM-1PM on Saturdays.  I can get a same day sick child visit no matter when I call (assuming they aren't fully booked, which they never have been).

Sounds like it's time to find a new practice.  Depending on the size of your city, I'd imagine there's better options available.

Ethan Michael - 12/21/09
    Norah Jewel - 2/26/14

• Ours is the same. Except they have a better handle on the phone situation. No way I'm switching, though, because they have 2 offices and a policy that they have absolutely no sick kid appointments while they are doing well child exams. So one office is handling well child exams while the office about 10 miles away is handling same-day sick kid calls. We love that our kid isn't getting all germed up while waiting for her well baby exam. Oh, also won't switch bc our pedi schedules enough time for every appointment so we have not once waited more than 5 minutes past our appointment time. If it weren't for those considerations, though, I would be switching. The "have to call the day of" thing just seriously irritates me.
  • MommyAtty said:

Ours is the same. Except they have a better handle on the phone situation. No way I'm switching, though, because they have 2 offices and a policy that they have absolutely no sick kid appointments while they are doing well child exams. So one office is handling well child exams while the office about 10 miles away is handling same-day sick kid calls. We love that our kid isn't getting all germed up while waiting for her well baby exam. Oh, also won't switch bc our pedi schedules enough time for every appointment so we have not once waited more than 5 minutes past our appointment time. If it weren't for those considerations, though, I would be switching. The "have to call the day of" thing just seriously irritates me.

Interesting. I don't love the sick and well children together, but I also wouldn't want to drive 10miles away with a sick kid either. I'm guessing this hasn't caused any issues for you yet.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• edited February 2014
    Our office is kind of similar. Sick appointments are day of, and their phone lines don't open until 8:30, even though they make regular appointments earlier than that and therefore there is a receptionist there, but she's just not answering phones.

They thing they do that REALLY irritates me, is that the phone lines shut down from 12-1pm. I would totally understand this if they had only 1 or 2 receptionists, but this is an office of 6 pediatricians and multiple receptionists and people that make only specific types of appointments etc. To me they are WAY to big to shut down for an hour in the middle of the day. However, they have other features that I really like, like walk ins on Saturdays until noon, a line where you can leave a message for the doctor and a nurse will call you back with advice, and then my pedi herself is really great. So we just work around the rest.

The other great thing they do is that each pedi works in partnership with one other pedi. So that if your pediatrician is not there you will see one other pedi who is familiar with your child already. If something major is going on and neither one is there you can see anyone else, but we've actually never had that happen.

\image  image

• jf198400 said:
    Ours is the same. Except they have a better handle on the phone situation. No way I'm switching, though, because they have 2 offices and a policy that they have absolutely no sick kid appointments while they are doing well child exams. So one office is handling well child exams while the office about 10 miles away is handling same-day sick kid calls. We love that our kid isn't getting all germed up while waiting for her well baby exam. Oh, also won't switch bc our pedi schedules enough time for every appointment so we have not once waited more than 5 minutes past our appointment time. If it weren't for those considerations, though, I would be switching. The "have to call the day of" thing just seriously irritates me.
    Interesting. I don't love the sick and well children together, but I also wouldn't want to drive 10miles away with a sick kid either. I'm guessing this hasn't caused any issues for you yet.

Nope. We live exactly in the middle of the two clinics, so not an issue for us. Also, where we live, 10 miles on a freeway is nothing. And both offices are right off the freeway.
  • That's weird.  Our office won't let you make an appointment "after hours" to come in the next day but that's it.  Like, the nights they have extended sick hours but the office isn't really open, you can't call for an appt the next morning but we can make appointments for any questions or concerns for whenever we want.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• No, I don't seem to experience that. When I call I am sometimes put on hold for several minutes but a live person always answers the phone.

I think they start answering calls at 8 AM.  If DD needs be seen that same day then I figure I'm staying home with her so I don't drive in to work.  On the same token there have been a couple instances where daycare called me to pick up DD.  I called my Pedi's office and was able to be worked in that same day...even though I called well after lunch!  Yes, I waited a bit for the doctor but I understand that.

I'm curious though, if they are encouraging you to make an appointment for the following day they maybe you don't medically need to be seen that same day?  My pedi office never turns me away if DD is sick and there is any indication that it is better that she be seen on the day I call.  If anything, I've called for advice expecting a home remedy and they've told me to bring DD in.

Bottom line: what you are describing would cause me to look elsewhere.  But I love our pedi...so I can't imagine sticking with a situation that I found frustrating.

• I feel extremely lucky with my pedi office, open Monday - Friday 8-7 and sat and sund 9-1. For sick children u can either call in the morn and get an appt. or u can show up at 8 for first come first serve. They also have seperate waiting rooms for sick and well children so when we are doin well visits I don't have to worry about lo being exposed to germs!
  • I was just reading this post the other day by a family practice doc who does this.  The doc made it sound like a great idea, but I can see how it would be so frustrating as a patient.
    https://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2014/02/downside-open-access-scheduling.html

• Completely inflexible and annoying in my opinion. My pedi office opens at 0700 and starts seeing patients at 0730. They do have same day sick call and are completely flexible. They are also open 4 1/2 days a week.
  • SunAndRain said:

I'm curious though, if they are encouraging you to make an appointment for the following day they maybe you don't medically need to be seen that same day?  My pedi office never turns me away if DD is sick and there is any indication that it is better that she be seen on the day I call.  If anything, I've called for advice expecting a home remedy and they've told me to bring DD in.

Yes this is true, you probably missed some of my follow up--- it was not a 'same day' needed visit but you can't make an appt ahead a couple days that is my issue. I would have been fine w/ seeing our regular pedi later in the week if I didn't have to wait until 830 that morning to get the appt and hope that it worked w/ my schedule or I could work my schedule around it. As I said, I understand the better choice medically is to see your regular pediatrician b/c htey know your child & can manage them but there is no allowance for that except 830am the morning of, or weeks out if you need a well visit or some sort of follow up.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"