Cloth Diapering

Cloth wipes vs disposables

In your opinion, what are the advantages and disadvantages to use cloth wipes? Also, what kind do you use?

For those of you use disposables, same question except instead of what kind do you use, what do you do with them after using them? Specifically the poop wipes. Do you just throw them away and there isn't any smell or is there some other method I haven't heard of? I'm just worried about the stink, tbh.

Thanks!

photo ee249d6c-880a-4eb4-bc43-d6ab1f9fe662.jpg

Re: Cloth wipes vs disposables

• For me, I like using cloth wipes because I can just throw everything into the diaper pail or wetbag and don't need a trash for the wipe. It's also much gentler on baby's bum because disposable wipes have chemicals and I wet my wipes with only water.

I use the osocozy flannel wipes and think they're great.

• We use mostly cloth.  I made my own out of flannel from the fabric store.  I also have a container of disposables on the changing table for really messy poos.  If I use a disposable I use just one to get the bulk of the poo off and then I flush it in the toilet with the poo.  Most of the time I use cloth and throw it in the wetbag though.
  • Loading the player...
  • I made flannel wipes. When I use throwaways, they just go in the trash. There aren't many and it doesn't smell that bad yet.
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Parent of Baby Boy M, born December 2013 Angels: Miscarriage @ 9 weeks, May 2015, Chemical Pregnancy November 2015

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • If you're already using cloth diapers it's easier to just use cloth wipes, IMO. Less wipes per poop,even the big ones. I just use water on mine. They're kind of a motley assortment but mostly homemade or wahm made flannel wipes.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • unaveragejaneunaveragejane member
    edited February 2014
    I started with disposable wipes and later fell in love with cloth wipes. I still keep disposables in case I get way behind on laundry and to keep in the diaper bag, but I much prefer the cloth. I seriously will go through 6-8 disposable wipes with a poop diaper, whereas I at most use 3 or 4 (and usually only 2) cloth wipes with same scenario. I can usually manage the mess and wind up with just one wipe that needs spraying. The others are just "I think I saw a speck" wipes, if that makes any sense, so I don't spray them. I also second PP's reasoning that they're much gentler on the bottom. DS is sensitive to anything perfumed, and disposable wipes dry him out when used regularly. It's also incredibly nice to not need to buy a box of wipes every time I turn around.

ETA: I keep a small flip-top trash can in DS's room for disposable wipes and the occasional disposable diaper. We use it so rarely that it gets really rank inside before it fills up. I completely forgot there was a poop diaper in there from 3 weeks ago until I threw some tags away yesterday. Oh my stinky stars!!!

• I have a diaper pail just for wipes and the occasional sposie (we still often use them at night). We have a wetbag for CDs. I have a few cloth wipes but DH isn't going to use them and when N sees the spray bottle he throws a fit because he wants to play with it, so they don't get use often.
  • We use cloth wipes most of the time but I just found a pack of sposies from a shower so we have used those at home for a week or so. Since we don't usually use them I don't have anything to do with them other than a regular trash can, and yes the poopy ones stink and are gross. I won't use them for poop anymore.
    Married 6/18/11
    BFP #1 10/26/12 DS born 6/30/13
    BFP #2 10/30/13 MC 11/25/13
    BFP #3 1/18/14 DS #2 born 10/7/14
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image   Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• We never switched to cloth wipes when we switched to cloth diapers. I had no idea about cloth wipes and I remember looking all over the place for dry (paper) wipes before LO was born because they were not soaked in chemicals and the hospital recommended we have them. We couldn't find them anywhere and just hoarded them when we were there. Currently we use huggies sensitive wipes (which are not flushable) because anything else we tried caused rashes. The diaper genie gets all the used wipes ( and for awhile poop). I don't recommend letting it get full since quite a lot can fit in there without the bulk of diapers.
  • I use a mix. Cloth for home, though I have disposible. I didn't start w cloth, but otherwise I have to have a seperate bag to put the disposible ones in. I just use water on them. Disposible for the diaper bag. Also use the cloth wipes for washing her hands/face and as a drool catcher.

I use the cottonbabies wipes. So soft!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I like my single ply flannel the best. I've made mine -- very easy. We used disposable for a while and didn't so anything special. But we had an EBF baby then so the poops weren't like they are now with solids!
  • We use plain wash cloths with water and we've never had any issues.  I like that I can just throw it in the diaper pail or wet bag, instead of having another trash can in the rom.  And we're CDing partly for financial reasons, so not having to buy disposable wipes is a plus!
  • I have only ever used disposable wipes. I like it use babyganics flushable wipes. I put them in the poop diaper and then dump the poop plus wipes into the toilet. I don't like non flushable wipes because I have to throw them in the trash can and they are stinky.

IVF #1 ET 1 d3 embryo 10/30/11 BFP
    3 Embryos frozen (1 d5, 2 d6)

DS born 07/29/12

FET #1 ET 1 d5 embryo 02/10/15 BFN

FET #2 1 d6 embryo didn't survive thaw, transferred last d6. CP :(

• J&NLJ&NL member
    Thanks everyone for the input! 
  • J&NLJ&NL member
    kjsmith9 said:
    We use plain wash cloths with water and we've never had any issues.  I like that I can just throw it in the diaper pail or wet bag, instead of having another trash can in the rom.  And we're CDing partly for financial reasons, so not having to buy disposable wipes is a plus!
    Which wash cloths do you use? I've heard of people using the little newborn wash cloths they sell at Target and BRU. 
  • J&NL said:
    kjsmith9 said:
    We use plain wash cloths with water and we've never had any issues.  I like that I can just throw it in the diaper pail or wet bag, instead of having another trash can in the rom.  And we're CDing partly for financial reasons, so not having to buy disposable wipes is a plus!
    Which wash cloths do you use? I've heard of people using the little newborn wash cloths they sell at Target and BRU. 
    Honestly, we just got some 10-packs of wash cloths that were on sale at TJ Maxx.  They aren't baby wash cloths or anything, just regular wash cloths.
  • We use Pampers Sensitive wipes. Just toss them in a step trash can. I only empty it 1-2 times a week and never noticed a smell. Going on 8 months now.

Just a personal preference, you could try both and see which you like better.

TTC since August 2011 (Me-29, DH-32).
    4/28/2012 - SA: 5% motility.
    5/21/2012 - SA: same results.
    Only shot is IVF (ICSI)
    5/31/2012 - HSG: all clear
    6/22/2012 - appt with RE, confirmed ICSI is necessary.
    8/3/2012 - First IVF Monitoring Appointment
    8/17/2012 - Egg Retrieval (retrieved 23 eggs, 3 made it to freezer)
    8/18/2012 - OHSS - hospitalized, need to wait one cycle to transfer embryo(s) due to OHSS
    8/29/2012 - begin meds for frozen cycle
    10/12/2012 - FET one embryo
    10/24/2012 - Beta #1: 442
    10/26/2012 - Beta #2: 947
    10/29/2012 - Beta #3: 2900!
    11/15/2012 - first u/s: baby measuring perfect, heart rate is right on target
    2/6/2013 - A/S looked perfect. Still team green by choice!
    7/6/2013 - Baby girl born after 44 hours of un-medicated labor, 2 hours of pushing, and emergency c-section due to transverse head.  DD was perfectly healthy at 6 pounds, 14 ounces.  We are thrilled!!
  • I found that making a mold-resistant solution (i.e. not just water) and keeping moist cloth wipes in "stock" on the changing table was just one thing too many for me. I got some cloth wipes before LO was born but switched to disposables early on. I just keep a little plastic bag on the table and throw the used wipes in there. Once the bag is full or smelly, I tie it up and toss it in the kitchen trash.

This is just me, YMMV!
  • I have the double-sided wipes from GMD. The terry cloth side is great for cleaning up messy poos.

I keep them pre-moistened in an OXO wipes container. I use water with a squirt of witch hazel and a few drops of pre-blended oils and essential oils. I think water alone would be too drying on DS's eczema-prone skin. For the changing bag I use a wipes container that came with a Skip Hop changing mat. The container holds only a few wipes but it's enough. During NB stage I was using disposable wipes in the changing bag, but if I have another baby I'll just probably find a small tupperware container so I can carry more wipes.
  • We use Costco brand disposable wipes. They don't have a chemical smell and don't irritate DD's skin. We tried Huggies "pure and natural" and those gave her the worst rash! So back to Costco we went. They are the only ones that don't bother her.

I suppose we should try cloth wipes b/c of how sensitive she is, but the idea of scraping poo off a small wipe sounds like too much for me. We tried cutting up an old receiving blanket to make wipes, but the edges frayed quickly and they got tossed out too. Maybe one day I'll learn to sew flannel ones...
                          PitaPata Dog tickers

• I was VERY late to the cloth wipe train. So I understand feelin like disposables wipes are easier and get him "cleaner". But it's really not true.

Since we did like the disposable wipes, the single ply flannel wipes are our favorite. They are nice and thin and get in the nooks and crannies. ;)

I just do water and premoisten in the oxo wipes container. And then have a stack of dry ones (usually the double ply ones that I wouldn't use otherwise) that I use to pat dry before putting on cream/diaper.

I think the thin baby wash cloths would be good too if you didn't want to make some.

Plus, i love not throwing away $$. And i can use as many as I want without it costing anything more!
  • Right now we're using disposable wipes because we got a huge box of them as a gift. I'm thinking of taking them to ILs and my parents houses to keep there because I'm itching to switch to cloth wipes. It's better for baby and I'll just throw it right in the wet bag with the dirty diaper.
    image   image
  • We use cloth wipes (baby wash cloths) instead of disposable wipes so we don't have to deal with poop in a trash can. I'm not willing to flush with my septic tank.

We used and loved our wipe warmer when DS was pooping multiple times per day. Once he slowed down and was usually pooping at daycare we weren't using the wipes fast enough. Now we just keep a stack by the bathroom sink and wet as needed.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Much easier to use cloth wipes IMO.  Just wash them right along with the diapers.  We like the BabyKicks wipes the best, we just wet them with water and throw them in the wipes warmer.  Plus cloth wipes just work a lot better than disposable!

The only time we use disposable wipes is when we are out.  I still CD on the go, but have found it's easier to use disposable wipes because I don't have to worry about wetting it.  Right now we are using Huggies Sensitive because are neighbor gave us a huge box when her daughter had a bad reaction to them.  But typically we just use the Target brand.  
  • We use washcloths as cloth wipes. So far I like the baby washcloths better than the regular adult ones. We have a few different brands of baby washcloths we were gifted at our shower. We keep them dry next to the changing pad and when we need one, we spray it with water from a spray bottle next to the changing pad. It's easy it goes right into the wet bag and doesn't stink up the house, need a pail, etc. When away from home, we use the same cloth wipes also.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic   image
  • I used cloth wipes at first, but DH wouldn't and preferred disposable wipes, so I kind of just gave up, and we use the target brand sensitive wipes. We have a diaper dekor from a shower gift, and we toss wipes and any random disposable diapers in there.

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"