June 2013 Moms

Help me choose a formula!!!

I'm ready for LO to take formula. I feel like my supply has gone to crap and he's been nursing every 1.5-2 hours lately because he's not getting enough. I've tried up and up's version of similac sensitive and similac for supplmenting breast fed babies ready made. So far he's hated both even if there is just one ounce in a bottle. Is there a formula out there that actually tastes good? He's very picky and I'm not sure which one to try next? I've heard gerber goodstart is sweeter? Any thoughts?

Re: Help me choose a formula!!!

• BC&LMBC&LM member
    I don't think any of them taste good! LO uses Enfamil Gentlease. I would try mixing pumped milk with the formula to acclimate your LO to it.
  • Thanks, I have been adding one ounce to a bottle but he refuses the whole thing. I was just hoping there was one out there that tastes ok !
  • Loading the player...
  • It might not be the formula...maybe it's the bottle, or the temp of it? 

image image
    imageimage
  • @beary+ghastly, he's been taking the bottle fine as long as its just BM and I make sure it's pretty warm so it has to be the formula. I wish it was one of those things !!!!
  • @steamboat1679, I guess I will try that one I actually think I have a couple ready made bottles of that from the hospital. I need to make sure they aren't expired. I just figured similac would all pretty much taste the same but maybe not.
  • hm...I would either try gerber gentle or enfamil (either toddler transitions or premium) I know the toddler transitions sounds kind of unconventional, but my reasoning is maybe the toddler type mimics more similar to what your milk might taste like. I mean it says 9+ months on it, so it doesn't hurt to try. 

What is his height and weight, and how many ounces is he getting?

image image
    imageimage
  • He turns 9 months Thursday he's like 17 pounds not sure on height. Pretty small little guy.
  • We have Grayson on enfamil premium in the yellow tub and haven't had any problems with that.
    image imageimageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • cafecremecafecreme member
    edited March 2014
    I'm not sure about toddler transitions then...it has more calcium, but less fat content, less calories.I second the enfamil premium. I used it the first time I had to supplement, and had no issues with it. 

image image
    imageimage
  • Yeah he needs the fatty content for sure!
  • I use the Kirkland brand formula but I don't think it's sweet. My BFF uses nestle good start and swears by it. It's suppose to be very close to BM.
  • LO went from EBF to formula (which she'd never had) with no issues at all with Similac Advance.  We switched to Parent's Choice Advantage (Walmart brand) after reading that they're really similar (and PC is much cheaper).  I highly recommend the Lansinoh Momma bottles for feeding a baby used to nursing!
    Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • Thanks ladies I will try to nestle good start. And LO does use the momma bottle ;)
  • Baby's only formula! 
  • My supply totally tanked about a month ago and LO had to go from EBF to EFF after never even having a bottle in her mouth and the only thing she would take is the Gerber Gentle. We have other formulas sitting around and if I even try to mix it in a little she refuses the whole bottle. Babies be picky and shit, yo.

• @joeandsarahforever I have heard great things about babys only formula but they all say toddler formula at the top is that the right one?
  • My SIL had to start supplementing when she got preg with LO2 and her LO1 took Gerber GoodStart with no problems. I tried formula a few months ago, Similac (blue tub) and LO hated it. Went back to nursing, but I'm going to try Gerber if I decide to try formula again. 
  • @joeandsarahforever I have heard great things about babys only formula but they all say toddler formula at the top is that the right one?

I have heard they only say "toddler" bc they want to promote breastfeeding infants.

image image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"