Attachment Parenting

Cosleepers, what was your arrangement when baby #2 arrived?

happylady07happylady07 member
edited February 2014 in Attachment Parenting
My son will be nearly 3 when baby #2 arrives, he sleeps in the middle of our king size bed (which is just a memory foam mattress on the floor, no box spring, no frame), and pretty much sleeps through the night.

We intend to let him transition to his room when he is ready, but I'm curious how the arrival of more children affected your sleeping arrangements.

Did you have something like an arms reach co sleeper for the baby until s/he was big enough to be in the big bed? Did your oldest have any issues with being woken up by the baby?

We still have several months to go, but I just want to know the logistics of what I'm trying to do. I know several people that cosleep with both their kids but they are older. My son can be a bit of a thrasher at night so I know we will have to have the kids separated to some extent, tell me how you did it!

Thanks!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Cosleepers, what was your arrangement when baby #2 arrived?

• We transitioned our son into a big boy bed (twin mattress on the floor of his room) a few months before baby #2 was born. He was about 19 mo. DH or I would read/snuggle him to sleep in his bed. When he woke up, he would come to our bed, and we'd tuck him in next to DH. We made sure he was never next to the baby. It was cozy :)
  • In the NB days DS1 slept between DH and I, DS2 slept next to me on the other side (we have a side-carred crib to give us extra space on that side, as we have a queen). We also had a floor bed set up in another room to divide and conquer as needed because of noise from one kid or the other.

• Loading the player...
  • DS is almost 2.5 and he sleeps now on a twin mattress on the floor next to our bed. I'm due in October with #2.

I still spend a fair bit of time in DS' floor bed with him. When he wakes I go to him instead of bringing him into our bed.

The plan is to transition his bed into his room this summer, well before baby arrives and when he's about 2.5. I'll sleep there with him for a week or so, then do what I do now, which is nurse and snuggle him to sleep in his bed, then move to my own.

We decided that this was a good time for him to move to his own room anyway, plus we really don't want to torture him with baby's wakings every 2 hours. If he can get a better night's sleep in his own room, then that's better for everyone. :)
    imageimage
  • We transitioned DS(3.5) to his own bed, and when he woke up in the middle of the night he can come snuggle up next to DH.
    However since DD is so new (2.5 weeks) we have DH in bed with DS, and I am in our bed with DD. Eventually DH will come back to our bed, but for now this is working really well for us.
  • We are in a king size bed and it goes H, #1, Me, #2, side car crib (that generally sits vacant).

The two kids generally smoosh up against me on either side, but #1 will sometimes roll over to Dad. And #2 doesn't generally cry because her fussing gets me up and me getting up to change diaper in the other room doesn't wake LO1.

imageimage
  • My kids are older now but each starts out in their own bed and end up coming into our bed in the middle of the night. DD (6) is first and DS (3) comes in a few hours later. They sleep next to each other in the middle with Dh and I at each end. Would love to get DD sleeping in her own bed all night but she just isn't ready!
    Lucky Mommy to:
    Zoë Elizabeth|11.19.2007 & Finnegan Charles|05.14.2010

Pregnancy Ticker

imageimage
  • We started to transition DS to his own bed a few months before LO arrived.  He usually spends the first half of the night in his own bed- a full on the floor and comes into my room sometime in the early morning.  We started LO in an arms reach co-sleeper but she usually ends up in bed next to me by 3 or 4.  Now we have a sidecarred crib.  By 6 am I have LO on my right and DS between me and my partner in our king bed.
    Pregnancy Ticker

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"