Military Families

Question for dual military w/ two kids

DH gets dependent rate BAH bc SS is his dependent. I have always drawn single rate before and after we got married. Now that we are expecting LO I am going to put her under my DEERS. It makes a lot of sense bc I will be doing most of the doctor appointments and scheduling since DHs schedule is crazy. His E7, also dual military and has two kids, told him to make sure I put LO under my DEERS so we both could collect dependent rate BAH. She told him once my ERB is updated that I automatically with be getting dependent rate. This is the first I've ever heard of this and when I asked my S1 they really couldn't give me any answers. Any of you ladies have experience with this?

BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013 Arrived via c-section 09/27/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: Question for dual military w/ two kids

• Once your ERB is updated? That sounds odd. It should be as soon as you enroll her in DEERS under you that you get dependent rate BAH. I'm guessing you and YH don't claim each other as dependents which is why you still get single BAH?

Btw - baby BLT will be here by tomorrow. ;) 

CJ 05/29/2013

• imageBacon+lettuce+tomato:

Once your ERB is updated? That sounds odd. It should be as soon as you enroll her in DEERS under you that you get dependent rate BAH. I'm guessing you and YH don't claim each other as dependents which is why you still get single BAH?

Btw - baby BLT will be here by tomorrow. ;) 

I had no idea if this was an S1 or finance question, but after talking to my cousin who is a MSG at HRC he said DEERS has nothing to do with updating BAH.

I don't have any dependents so that's why I don't get dependent rated BAH. DH claims SS so he gets BAH with dependent rate. I didn't/don't know that DH and I could attempt to claim each other for dependent rate.

But once LO comes he, my cousin, told me to fill out the DA 5960 to change to dependent rate.

Yay for baby BLT's arrival :-) are you ready? :-) not that it matters at this point haha

• Loading the player...
  • Nevermind.  I just re-read.  SS in your OP is your SS, your DH's bio son, correct?  I was getting confused.

In that case I have no idea how BAH would work.  The rule for two MMs having children is that the higher ranking member collects the BAH w/ dependents rate.  But I have no idea if/how it is changed if one member already collects but the second member isn't biologically related to the first. 

Whatever you do, get a CLEAR answer IN WRITING.  Because if "double dipping" isn't allowed and they catch it you will be billed. 

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• imagesweetpea2003:

Nevermind.  I just re-read.  SS in your OP is your SS, your DH's bio son, correct?  I was getting confused.

In that case I have no idea how BAH would work.  The rule for two MMs having children is that the higher ranking member collects the BAH w/ dependents rate.  But I have no idea if/how it is changed if one member already collects but the second member isn't biologically related to the first. 

Whatever you do, get a CLEAR answer IN WRITING.  Because if "double dipping" isn't allowed and they catch it you will be billed. 

I just don't know "who" is the "right" person to ask, because everyone I ask gives me a different answer. I've only received a yes or I don't know, but honestly I don't trust the civilians here that run the finance office. When DH and I PCSed I had to explain that we were BOTH authorized certain allowances and even had to show them Army regulations that backed me up. I miss BIG Army bases :-( This place is just too small :-(

• You do not get to choose which sponsor dependents go under. It always is the same, the most senior ranking member. There is not a way to cheat the system by having one child under each parent and frankly this would be fraud if you did this. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The only way to get the correct answer is to look up the regulations yourself. Don't go off of what anyone tells you unless the can show you the regulation in writing. I have found that most people, even if it is their job, don't know the actual rules and just go off of what others have told them.
  • imageWookieesCookies:
    You do not get to choose which sponsor dependents go under. It always is the same, the most senior ranking member. There is not a way to cheat the system by having one child under each parent and frankly this would be fraud if you did this.nbsp;
    no one said anything about "cheating," just clarification. Oh and DH and I are the same so no way to determine "senior ranking."

• Being the same rank there is still always a member who is senior ranking. Time in grade, and time in service. If those are both EXACTLY the same down to the day, then it goes by date of birth. One of you outranks the other.

Ps it really sad someone claiming to be an E7 doesn't know that...that is definitely part of the basic information you should know to even be testing for E5. I call your bluff. There is also no way an E7 wouldn't have extensive knowledge of how benefits work. An E7 would have never had to ask this question.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageWookieesCookies:
    Being the same rank there is still always a member who is senior ranking. Time in grade, and time in service. If those are both EXACTLY the same down to the day, then it goes by date of birth. One of you outranks the other.

Ps it really sad someone claiming to be an E7 doesn't know that...that is definitely part of the basic information you should know to even be testing for E5. I call your bluff. There is also no way an E7 wouldn't have extensive knowledge of how benefits work. An E7 would have never had to ask this question.

Easy killer, she never claimed to be an E7. And it's entirely possible not to have extensive knowledge if you've never dealt with the issue before. Also the policy states that you can elect which member claims the dependent. If the members can't agree then it defaults to the senior ranking. AND because you mentioned testing for E5 I'm guessing you're not Army so things may be a bit different.

CJ 05/29/2013

• ehh my husband was an e8 when i joined the military and had no idea how bah worked for duel military. even if it was on the e7 test he took it so long ago. i have taken a test and 2 hours later couldnt tell you an answer that i got correct ;)

Married 11/27/09 and TTC right away
    Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs
    Baby 1 and 2: BFP 3/3/11 with 2 babies EDD 11/1/11, M/C 4/6/11
    Baby #3: 8/11 pregnant EDD 4/27/11 and m/c:(
    Baby #4: 10/12/11 BFP! EDD 6/16/12m/c 10/26/11
    Baby #5: 3/13/12 BFP! EDD 11/25/12 ANOTHER m/c :(

Baby #6: 2/14/13- BFP! EDD 10/24/13, CP 2/19/13
    Baby #7: 3/15/13- BFP! EDD 11/27/13, another CP
    Baby #8.  BFP 5/19/13 EDD 1/22/14. 8 was not our lucky number

4th septum resection on 5/31/13.
    Baby #9: 6/29/13 BFP. C section scheduled for March 5th!

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

• imageWookieesCookies:
    Being the same rank there is still always a member who is senior ranking. Time in grade, and time in service. If those are both EXACTLY the same down to the day, then it goes by date of birth. One of you outranks the other.

Easy killer, she never claimed to be an E7. And it's entirely possible not to have extensive knowledge if you've never dealt with the issue before. Also the policy states that you can elect which member claims the dependent. If the members can't agree then it defaults to the senior ranking. AND because you mentioned testing for E5 I'm guessing you're not Army so things may be a bit different.

Hmmm I wonder where I claimed to be an E7 senior NCO .... Thanks for clarifying BLT.

Oh and for the record, my S1 and finance are still trying to figure this one out ...

• Just point your S-1 ad Finance to the Joint Federal Travel Regulation (JFTR) cited above.  If they don't believe you then ask them to ask legal for an answer.

You want to get this right (not just the answer you want to hear) because otherwise eventually you'll end up owing a ton of money back to the Government and we all know how that works - they'll take it all at once with no warning and at the least convenient time and/or they'll take more than they should.
  • Just point your S-1 ad Finance to the Joint Federal Travel Regulation (JFTR) cited above.  If they don't believe you then ask them to ask legal for an answer.

You want to get this right (not just the answer you want to hear) because otherwise eventually you'll end up owing a ton of money back to the Government and we all know how that works - they'll take it all at once with no warning and at the least convenient time and/or they'll take more than they should.

Just point your S-1 ad Finance to the Joint Federal Travel Regulation (JFTR) cited above.  If they don't believe you then ask them to ask legal for an answer.

You are completely right. I don't want to be collecting an allowance that one person said OK to just to find out later that NO should have been the answer the whole time. The person who said OK in the first place isn't the one who would be feeling the backlash. It would be me. Thanks ladies !

• If neither are higher ranking I say claim your LO and get the dependent pay since us mil to mil folks can't claim each other as dependents. The baby gets put on both spouses deers its just that only one can claim the child for dependent pay and tax purposes.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"