April 2014 Moms

Stupid Questions Thread

Re: Stupid Questions Thread

• mamrotu73 said:

How similar do moms and daughters tend to be in regards to pregnancies? Or is there even a reliable correlation?

I'm thinking things like birth weights, delivering early or late, etc. It would be nice to have some insight based on how my mother did with me and my siblings, but do those types of factors "run in the family" or is it a crap-shoot for everyone?
    I think crapshoot. My mom barely even knew she was pregnant! Her only symptom the whole time was exhaustion (but she has chronic fatigue in general). No morning sickness, indigestion, pains....she LOVED being preg! So annoying... Especially cause she is not so good about being empathetic. "That's weird, that didn't happen to me!" Love her but boy have I have some meltdowns at her!
    As for size... My DH and I were both 7lb12oz.... So we shall see! (And 2 weeks late)

May the Fourth Be With You: Our 5-4-14 Baby: Andrew Joseph
  • Loading the player...
  • I know clothing for the first few weeks is a hit or miss but is it okay to put larger clothes on an infant? Does it pose any kind of risk? I'd just hate to buy more clothes on top of what I already have.
  • hbell12 said:

I know clothing for the first few weeks is a hit or miss but is it okay to put larger clothes on an infant? Does it pose any kind of risk? I'd just hate to buy more clothes on top of what I already have.

I wouldn't be comfortable with clothes too big around the neckline for sleeping but that's just me.

Married 3.14.09
    DS born 8.20.10
    MC 7.11.11
    DD born 5.24.12
    #3 EDD 4.02.14
  • When someone says they are 2-3cm already, does that mean the mucus plug is gone as well, or can you be dilated and it still be there?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    My Chart ::::: My Blog
    Married since July 2008
    MC Nov 2011 || MMC Jan 2013 || MC Jun 2013 || Baby Boy April 2014 || MMC Dec 2014 || MMC Apr 2015
    Diagnosed Jan 2016 as having been infertile due to scarring since last MMC.
    Diagnosed 2016 with Lupus.
  • When someone says they are 2-3cm already, does that mean the mucus plug is gone as well, or can you be dilated and it still be there?

You can still have your MP and be dilated as far as I know. I don't recall losing mine with DD until much further into labor with her. My friend lost hers at home after being 5 cm dilated for a couple weeks.

Married 3.14.09
    DS born 8.20.10
    MC 7.11.11
    DD born 5.24.12
    #3 EDD 4.02.14
  • I'm in full on nesting mode today and have a few more questions! 

Q1 What is the best way to wash onesies so they don't shrink? Many of the labels say to wash in warm or cold. I planned on washing everything in cold with a Shout color catcher just in case (lot's of pinks!). I'd be bummed to ruin everything right away by shrinking/colors running.  

Q2 We received an Arms Reach Mini Cosleeper. Our bedroom isn't very big but there is enough room for it to be attached to my side of the bed. It will be close to the wall however. I might be paranoid but will this be enough airflow to keep LO safe? 

Thanks ladies!
  • I think there should be plenty of airflow because the top of the crib isn't covered?

Correct me if I'm wrong
  • Do you really have to *sterilize* bottles before first use? Wash in hot soapy water, I get - but actually sterilize? They're not going to stay sterile...
    :-/
  • ellendee said:

Do you really have to *sterilize* bottles before first use? Wash in hot soapy water, I get - but actually sterilize? They're not going to stay sterile...

I would, just because you don't know the quality of the water and such used in the manufacture of the parts. Now if you use well water you should be sterilizing all parts, bottles and water prior to making bottles or formula every time. This is a big problem here when I live, with the run off from the dairies and leech lines contaminating ground water.
  • ellendee said:

Do you really have to *sterilize* bottles before first use? Wash in hot soapy water, I get - but actually sterilize? They're not going to stay sterile...

I would, just because you don't know the quality of the water and such used in the manufacture of the parts. Now if you use well water you should be sterilizing all parts, bottles and water prior to making bottles or formula every time. This is a big problem here when I live, with the run off from the dairies and leech lines contaminating ground water.
    What if you had a recent water test showing good water quality?

• Sorry if this has already been asked...

For those of you ladies who have or are planning on cosleeping/having a co sleeper/side carring their crib, are you going to get up and change your baby at their changing pad in the middle of the night, or do you plan on just doing it in their crib? It seems like a huge PITA to get up every time he poops. I was thinking of putting down a plastic changing pad and using that in the crib for middle of the night changes.
    Baby will be in a PNP in our room at first and it comes with the changing table, but to answer your question, you'll be up a lot and unfortunately some of those middle of the night poop changes include blow outs and entire outfit changes as well.
  • ellendee said:

A lot of people out here can't afford to have their wells tested. The biggest risk is from Cryptosporidium and Giardia which many public water tx plants do not even test for...if you have a UV filter on your well this is not likely to be a problem as UV and ozone both kill this deadly organisms. I would pull out my water report and see exactly what they tested for. Do you have a private well?
  • rockstarlawrockstarlaw member
    edited March 2014
    Whoops - mispost
  • ellendee said:

I just hand wash them.
  • ellendee said:

A lot of people out here can't afford to have their wells tested. The biggest risk is from Cryptosporidium and Giardia which many public water tx plants do not even test for...if you have a UV filter on your well this is not likely to be a problem as UV and ozone both kill this deadly organisms. I would pull out my water report and see exactly what they tested for. Do you have a private well?

I do have a private well. We just bought the house a year ago and tested the water before buying.
  • Re: sterilizing bottles -- I always just boil them for 10 min. Super easy.

Re: Middle of the night diaper changes -- DD slept in a PNP in our room for 3 mo (planning on the same for this baby). we have an office right across from our room. Changing pad with dipe supplies + extra onesies and PJs set up on the desk and we moved our glider down there as well (nursery is upstairs, our room is down). I'd take baby into the office, change, nurse, and we'd go back into our room to sleep. I really did not like nursing laying down in bed (we had latch issues plus I had bad PPA and was terrified I'd fall asleep while nursing and smother DD) so this set up working really well for us.
    DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
  • ellendee said:

We have a private well, cattle, pigs and chickens but we live on my in laws land. I know nothing about the well. I guess I will be calling my FIL tomorrow. I'm glad you mentioned this @reddawnsrevenge.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• It's absolutely worth looking into a UV for the well. Especially if you are formula feeding and plan to use that water, unless you sterilize water by the gallon or buy bottled water. Unfortunately outbreaks of water born illness are on the rise. With the extreme drought and people drilling their wells deeper and deeper, I suspect we will see a lot more in Ca over the next few years.
  • RoufiRoufi member
    So I'm sure there have been posts about this before but can't for the life of me find them - is bleeding after sex normal (in the way one might expect to bleed after an internal)? I really wasn't expecting the amount of blood since it's a total first for me :( especially since there was no real pain/ LO has been moving since.
    Again, hope I didn't completely skip over a recent post on this.
  • We set the PNP up today and the padding seems very loose. I was expecting it to be nice and tight like a crib mattress. We got a PNP sheet and at was way too loose it freaked me out.
    I took some pictures tell me if I'm over reacting, or of the padding/cover is too loose for the baby to sleep safely!

BabyFetus Ticker

• Clothing size question: I know every brand is different, but some of these clothes seem WAY off. When something says 3 months, it is for up to 3 months old, correct? So it's the same as 0-3? But then what is newborn? Fits for a day? I'm just confused if 0-3 is more like newborn than 3 or if that is just the trend I'm seeing in some of the brands I have. It's really irritating me while I'm trying to organize!

Also, I washed most of the newborn clothes and probably half my 0-3 clothes. When do you guys start washing the rest of them? When you have time as the baby grows (I'm assuming) or ASAP after they are born so everything is washed? I know a million people have asked clothes/washing questions so I'm sorry for beating the dead horse.
    Why do my boobs look so good?image
    Then I peed on a stick...image
  • Roufi said:

So I'm sure there have been posts about this before but can't for the life of me find them - is bleeding after sex normal (in the way one might expect to bleed after an internal)? I really wasn't expecting the amount of blood since it's a total first for me :( especially since there was no real pain/ LO has been moving since.
    Again, hope I didn't completely skip over a recent post on this.

A bit of bleeding can be normal for many women during pregnancy because of the increased blood flow in the area and because of changes in the cervix. My midwife said that sometimes the cervix gets a bit more sensitive. I would mention it to your Dr/midwife the next time you see them. And if it's enough blood to need more than a panty liner I would call right away.
  • I plan on washing all but the smallest sizes ahead. I'm going to wash a few if the smaller sizes but will wait until I see how big baby is before doing all. If baby is too big there's no sense in even having the smaller sizes. Plus when DH does a home run while I'm in the hospital he can always throw a load of the smaller sizes in the wash so it's ready when we get home!
  • When my mom was here she was really in to helping me wash & organize baby clothing, so I'm washed & ready to go through all of my 9 month clothing. But, that's also because the clothing was so tiny compared to what I'm used to, I wouldn't have had full loads otherwise. since I was using a free & clear detergent for baby stuff, and still trying to get through my other detergent for my stuff, I just made full loads of baby clothing. It's amazing how much baby clothing you can fit in there!
  • How long does it take for swelling to go down in fingers? Just wondering when I get to wear my rings again :)

I think it depends on the person. My mom was swollen for awhile after birth. She had a csection though.

• Roufi said:
    So I'm sure there have been posts about this before but can't for the life of me find them - is bleeding after sex normal (in the way one might expect to bleed after an internal)? I really wasn't expecting the amount of blood since it's a total first for me :( especially since there was no real pain/ LO has been moving since. Again, hope I didn't completely skip over a recent post on this.
    I did in the last 4-6 weeks before my dd. It was never too much and wasn't still actively bleeding in the morning--my doctor here said its normal.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I was more swollen after labor. I was really puffy for about 2 weeks.
  • RoufiRoufi member
    Thanks for the reassurance/clarification @Joelle OK and @Airynn Chica! It's just brownish this am so I'll probably mention it to my OB at my next appt. and not worry more than that.
  • I guess I wasn't lucky enough to get those few good days. I did get the flu like symptoms. Even though I'm a nurse I was 100% convinced I had the real flu. Feel super stupid about that now. But no it never got better, and I was never able to be more active or productive.
  • embear22 said:

ST+M's Was it true for you that around the time you went into labor you had a few great days where you were extremely active and productive and then out of no where you got like really nausea's and flu like symptoms and then you went into labor within a day or two? I've read that a few different places and was just wondering how true it was. 

I gave birth on a Friday with DS. I know on Thursday I felt reasonably energetic. I was running errands that morning then I urgently needed to poop (unusual for that pregnancy). I had a very large BM that was kinda loose. I didn't feel nauseous but I was less hungry than usual.

I will say that I was surprised that I had such a surge of energy after labor. Well at least I felt very alert and didn't want to sleep for about 8 hours after, even though I'd had about three hours of sleep the night before.
  • @embear22 I didn't have the surge of energy either. I taught (kindergarten) on Thursday but went home at 12:30 due to contracting the whole day. I remember lying on the couch for the rest of the day, ordering pizza and not eating. I kept sleeping off and on that evening. I felt 'blah' so I guess flu like symptoms. DD was born Friday night at 10pm.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I didn't have flu like symptoms or have a sudden surge of energy. It was a pretty normal day and besides being in early labor, I felt normal.

April 2014 May Siggy Challenge: Funny Animals- Kangaroo Mating Ritual

• BiRL- yours or baby's?

For me- it sucked. I had a second degree tear so I took stool softners the moment I got home and continued to do so until my stitches healed. I used a spray bottle with some Epsom salts dissolved in warm water to help clean up and then patted dry- wiping wasn't an option, ouch! But really it reminded me of pooping when I'm constipated and have a big hemorrhoid.

Baby's first meconium is gross and sticky looking but not an issue- not sure why so many people freak about it.

April 2014 May Siggy Challenge: Funny Animals- Kangaroo Mating Ritual

• How bad is the first poop. . . Really?

Totally fine! I haas been so scared it would be like giving birth again, but I was on stool softner and it was not a problem. Peeing, however, burned like a MoFo for a day or so because of a tear- solution was to spray with the peri bottle while peeing.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • zoopsiedaisyzoopsiedaisy member
    edited March 2014
    My sister's wedding, yes it was planned in advance of my pregnancy will be 20 days after baby is born IF she comes on my EDD. I am the MOH (third wedding I will add) and she is starting to panic about my dress. I keep telling her that picking a dress will be more of a game time decision based on when she arrives, how she arrives, etc... Right?

Do y'all think I should look at a maternity dress now to calm her nerves? Will that be my best bet in your opinions either way? I keep seeing, plan on feeling 6 months pregnant after delivery. How long does that generally last? I know everyone is different but some experienced mom's thought would be really helpful about now!!! Thanks :-)

Edit spelling
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @Heidiman said:

My sister's wedding, yes it was planned in advance of my pregnancy will be 20 days after baby is born IF she comes on my EDD. I am the MOH (third wedding I will add) and she is starting to panic about my dress. I keep telling her that picking a dress will be more of a game time decision based on when she arrives, how she arrives, etc... Right?

Do y'all think I should look at a maternity dress now to calm her nerves? Will that be my best bet in your opinions either way? I keep seeing, plan on feeling 6 months pregnant after delivery. How long does that generally last? I know everyone is different but some experienced mom's thought would be really helpful about now!!! Thanks :-)

Edit spelling

I wouldn't get a maternity dress, but maybe something flowy with an empire waist so that it's forgiving. DD arrived 1 day late, and 3w later (so 21 days) I was still a little softer than before, but back in my fat jeans. I gained 40lbs, but was very much all belly. I think that's somewhat unusual.

I think generally the better shape you were in before hand, the faster you'll get back to it afterwards- especially if you gained healthy weight through the pregnancy.
    *Married 10.10.08*
  • @ksulli and @poru

Thanks!! I think I will start empire waist dress shopping. I honestly don't know how its going to be at the wedding. Tired for sure! And I have no idea about what to do with the baby. And hopefully I will be breastfeeding. So I have to think about pumping. And a whole day doing wedding stuff. Oh no!! This is gonna be rough!!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @Heidiman said:

And I have no idea about what to do with the baby. And hopefully I will be breastfeeding. So I have to think about pumping. And a whole day doing wedding stuff. Oh no!! This is gonna be rough!!

My thoughts on baby: can H be on site for all the prep with baby? Feed just before the cerimony since that can't be interrupted, and the rest of the day nurse as needed- way easier than pumping. I was a bridesmaid while dd was nursing and that's what worked for us. Keep the ease of boob access in mind while dress shopping too.
    *Married 10.10.08*
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"