Breastfeeding

~*~*MSPI Moms Weekly Check-In*~*~ 3/3

~*~*MSPI Moms Weekly Check-In*~*~

Welcome! This is a check-in for moms who are/were on a dairy free and/or soy free diet due to their LO's intolerance. The check-ins will be posted every Monday morning on the Breastfeeding board and XP'd to the Food Allergy board. If you'd like to join the group, just post an intro here and dive in! To check out the archive of our previous check-ins, please see the MSPI Moms Blog (www.mspimoms.blogspot.com).

1. How are you doing? How is your LO doing?

2. What have you been surprised to learn has hidden dairy and/or soy in it?

3. Any other burning questions you'd like answered or experiences to share?

Re: ~*~*MSPI Moms Weekly Check-In*~*~ 3/3

• 1. How are you doing? How is your LO doing? Well, DS is still intolerant of cabbage. Holy moly! I had maybe 1/4 cup of shredded cabbage Wed night and on Thursday he had the biggest grossest runniest poop ever. I haven't had any since his 1st bday party and he hasn't had a poop like that since then. So, with all that going on (he had a pretty gross poop Sat too) I did not get to try giving him soy.

2. What have you been surprised to learn has hidden dairy and/or soy in it? I was kicking myself when I realized the DiViSol I'd been giving him had Vit E, likely derived from soy. And my PNVs. I'd been "soy free" for a few weeks at that point, argh!

3. Any other burning questions you'd like answered or experiences to share? Nope.

• 1. How are you doing? How is your LO doing?

I am doing good. The only thing i miss is my coffee creamer. I tried the So Delicious coconut creamer and it wasn't so delicious. :(
    After 2 weeks of my dairy free diet I can happily say I have a new baby. We had a couple if episodes last week but overall she is doing so much better. :)

My "dairy free" coffee creamer had hidden dairy. That made me mad.

Eating out sucks now. What restaurants have a good selection of dairy free choices?
  • Loading the player...

We were doing good until I decided to cycle through my freezer stash of milk more quickly last week and give DD 5 bottles of frozen milk during the week instead of her usual 2. I'm using milk that was frozen when I'd been dairy-free for 3 weeks, so I thought it'd be ok, but she has her trademark red cheek today and had mucousy diapers all weekend. She's done ok in previous weeks with just the 2 bottles, so I guess getting one each day was just too much. 

Seasonings and spice mixes. I've started making my own taco seasoning, but I still need to find a dairy-free Ranch dressing mix and Italian dressing mix. I make a lot of crock-pot recipes that use these mixes and was really surprised (not so much about the Ranch, but tacos?). But I guess it is healthier this way....

For everyone last week who was craving pizza, I made calzones this weekend that satisfied my craving better than anything else has! I was inspired by this recipe https://www.mspimama.com/2009/07/green-calzones.html but I went more traditional and used Italian spiced ground turkey, pepperoni, roasted red bell peppers, and onions. I also brushed the crust with olive oil, garlic, and Italian seasonings. I still missed the greasy cheese component of pizza, but at least it had the rest of the flavors!

Burning question: how do you know when your previously frozen milk is "clean"? I went by the standard of 2-3 weeks for milk protein to get out of my system, but apparently that wasn't long enough. I'm wondering if I just return to giving her 2 bottles/week and keep giving the milk from those dates, or if I need to jump ahead and use milk that was pumped even later.

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Sarelnad said:
     3. Any other burning questions you'd like answered or experiences to share? Eating out sucks now. What restaurants have a good selection of dairy free choices?
    Chipotle and Pita Pit are the only places I've found. Just skip the cheese and sour cream. As far as sit-down restaurants, I'm still looking....I've had failed attempts at Olive Garden and Red Robin using their "dairy-free" menu items.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I love chipotle! Good to know. Never been to pita pit. Might try that out soon. TY

• Burning question: how do you know when your previously frozen milk is "clean"? I went by the standard of 2-3 weeks for milk protein to get out of my system, but apparently that wasn't long enough. I'm wondering if I just return to giving her 2 bottles/week and keep giving the milk from those dates, or if I need to jump ahead and use milk that was pumped even later.

It can take 3 to 5 weeks for the proteins to clear, perhaps longer if you've accidentally messed up here and there. Maybe stick to the later pumped milk.

I've had to toss pre-dairy/soy free milk and it sucks. :(

• @Charlie1178
    I've tried the Daiya cheddar wedge and the jalapeno havarti wedge. They were ok. The havarti was definitely better than the cheddar, probably because it had some spice to it. My mom uses the shredded cheese in casseroles and likes them. I think if you want to eat it plain, like spread on crackers, it's not great, but could be ok mixed in foods where cheese is not the star ingredient. It does melt and stretch like real cheese. Kind of reminds me of Cheese Whiz in the can :/

I haven't tried their cream cheeses but would like to.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I am joining this week. I started eliminating dairy and soy last Wednesday.

1. How are you doing? How is your LO doing? I'm doing well. I am learning to bake from scratch and relying less on convenience foods when cooking. My contribution to the spring food drive is growing as I clean out the pantry. LO is less gassy, has better BMs, and is sleeping better.
    2. Hidden soy/dairy: Most of the bread at Whole Foods and all of the granola-type bars I had have soy and/or dairy.
    3. I really like Daiya brand cheese. I usually use it on pizza. I actually prefer it to store brand mozzarella. (I followed a dairy free diet before pregnancy(. I dislike vegan gourmet, but have a friend who likes it and hates daiya.
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Parent of Baby Boy M, born December 2013 Angels: Miscarriage @ 9 weeks, May 2015, Chemical Pregnancy November 2015

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Thank you!
    Parent of Baby Boy M, born December 2013 Angels: Miscarriage @ 9 weeks, May 2015, Chemical Pregnancy November 2015

• 1. How are you doing? How is your LO doing?  We are doing really well.  LO has had picture perfect stools for a while now which makes me super happy.  Her face has cleared up so much.  I have the follow up appt with our GI next week, and I am looking forward to having her stools tested again.  I want to make sure we are in the clear. 

2. What have you been surprised to learn has hidden dairy and/or soy in it? Like PP said all of the seasonings. 

3. Any other burning questions you'd like answered or experiences to share?  The GI told me that he thought I should try to add wheat back in when I felt up to it.  He thinks my pedi asked me to eliminate wheat too soon, and since I saw the most progress after eliminating eggs he thinks I should try to add wheat back in to check.  What would you do?  I feel like we are in such a good place I am nervous to try.  If she has a reaction I am wondering how many days it will last. 

• @camedowncrushing Maybe wait until after you have her stool tested for blood again? Then if those are clear, you could try wheat and look for symptoms. With my DS, once he was clear and I messed up, his reaction only lasted a couple of days.
  • @camedowncrushing Maybe wait until after you have her stool tested for blood again? Then if those are clear, you could try wheat and look for symptoms. With my DS, once he was clear and I messed up, his reaction only lasted a couple of days.
    I am at least waiting until then!  I am so nervous about it.  DD is so happy now, and sleeping great.  I am nervous to change anything.  A couple of days wouldn't be awful.  When you messed up was it just one meal? 
  • 1. Lo is doing better- her face (acne) has cleared up, her poops are getting less green, and she is a lot less fussy. I'm still working at the diet, it's only been 2 weeks tomorrow for dairy. And Friday for soy. I'm also cutting out soybean oil and soy lecithin-it seemed like she is super mucusy when I eat it. I hit the jackpot Friday night in the gluten free section of Wegmans. I hadn't been looking there ( only the nature made area) and found bread, enjoy life cookies and a pizza crust!
    2. I still can't believe how much soy is in! Who knew?
    3. I've been trying to find out- milk/soy in beer or wine?? And where can I find out???
    This check in has been super helpful! Thanks so much for the suggestions and help!

We're alright, for the most part. The store we shop at changed their rotisserie chicken, and I didn't catch it until after I'd eaten it twice. So we had a couple of rough days, and a speck of blood in a diaper, but other than that we seem to be coming out of it alright.

Bread, for one. Why does bread need to have soy in it? Not that it matters now that I'm wheat-free, but it irritated me when I wasn't. Also, spaghetti sauce, chicken stock, and DH brought home a can of green beans that had whey in them.

What kind of milk is everyone using? I had been using almond, but we're nut-free now. I'm in a semi-rural area, so it's been kind of a pain to keep from running out.

Also, I'm considering using Amazon's auto-shipments once I find a good alternative, so shelf-stable would be a bonus.
    TTC with MFI, PCOS, and endometriosis since February 2010
    BFP January 20,2012, Loss confirmed January 22,2012
    March-August 2012: Various medicated/IUI cycles, all BFN
    Laparoscopy/Hysteroscopy October 2012: Fall Cleaning, Uterus Edition
    BFP 2-17-12 @12DPO Beta#1: 256 Beta#2: 1061
    EDD:10-27-13
  • lovelainielovelainie member
    edited March 2014

Sarelnad said:

Eating out sucks now. What restaurants have a good selection of dairy free choices?

Chipotle and Pita Pit are the only places I've found. Just skip the cheese and sour cream. As far as sit-down restaurants, I'm still looking....I've had failed attempts at Olive Garden and Red Robin using their "dairy-free" menu items.
  • We're both doing well :) Spices/seasonings, pasta sauce I'm also wondering what restaurants people are eating at. I eat chipotle at least once a week and would love some other options. I miss going out to eat!
  • 1. Lo is doing better- her face (acne) has cleared up, her poops are getting less green, and she is a lot less fussy. I'm still working at the diet, it's only been 2 weeks tomorrow for dairy. And Friday for soy. I'm also cutting out soybean oil and soy lecithin-it seemed like she is super mucusy when I eat it. I hit the jackpot Friday night in the gluten free section of Wegmans. I hadn't been looking there ( only the nature made area) and found bread, enjoy life cookies and a pizza crust! 2. I still can't believe how much soy is in! Who knew? 3. I've been trying to find out- milk/soy in beer or wine?? And where can I find out??? This check in has been super helpful! Thanks so much for the suggestions and help!

You can look up safe beer and wine on barnivore.com
  • @lovelainie Can you do coconut milk? I like it better than rice milk. I haven't tried hemp yet.

• I can do coconut milk, and I like it, but it's harder to get around here. We have to drive to the next town over and stock up, which kind of sucks. And I don't like that it has less calcium than almond milk, although I guess I could make up for that pretty easily with the rest of my diet.

I bought rice milk this time, but I don't really like the flavor of it. I haven't tried hemp or oat yet, they're on my list for next time, though.

I'm going to have to spend some time researching.
    TTC with MFI, PCOS, and endometriosis since February 2010
    BFP January 20,2012, Loss confirmed January 22,2012
  • @camedowncrushing Yes whenever I messed up it was just one small thing. I started keeping a food diary and it was easy to pinpoint the culprit, usually.
    @lovelainie I use rice milk for baking and make my own almond milk. It is super easy, I'll post a link when I'm on a PC later. But you can buy a pound of raw almonds and keep them in the fridge for weeks, then make batches of the milk as you consume it. It won't have the added calcium of store bought, though.
  • Oh duh you said you're nut free. Sorry. I vote rice milk! Didn't like hemp or oat.
  • Hey all! I guess this will be my intro! Sorry I'm on iPad so I don't think this will format. My DS is 16 weeks and we EBF. I am gluten free and mostly dairy free for me, but LO was having some major fussiness, gas, and poop issues so as of last Thursday I cut out all hidden dairy as well. LO also can not tolerate chocolate (even dairy free) boooooooooooo! On to the questions! 1) He is doing better but still very fussy and it seems like he is having some pretty painful gas, poops have gotten better but are still very runny. Do I need to wait until all dairy is out of our systems or cut something else out? I eat loads of peanut butter, bread that does have egg whites in it, soy, and fruit and nut bars. 2) I bought these perfect food bars that I thought were just nut proteins but they have whey in them. Sucks! Oh well DH gets to eat them. 3) I guess do I need to cut more out? I just want my guy happy and sleep is just not happening right now. Oh yes I also do drink coffee with coconut milk in it once a day. Any suggestions are welcome! So sorry if this is a big ole wall of text!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • @tmgs2013 Welcome! I would wait at least a couple of weeks before cutting anything out, since you just eliminated hidden dairy. It can take 3 to 5 weeks for the milk protein to clear out of both yours and LOs systems. If he's still not better at that point, I would cut obvious and hidden soy. Keep us posted on how it's going!
  • Well, it's official...my first MSPI check in here and on my BMB. :(

1. How are you doing? How is your LO doing? Today at DD2's 1M appointment (she's really 6w today), we discussed her symptoms: reflux, mucousy green poop, extreme fussiness, arching/stiffness after feedings, bumpy rash on face/neck/chest, and now....blood in her diaper. Today was the first time for blood and although it freaked me out, I'm actually relieved it happened while at the doctor. I've been advised to remove all dairy, soy, egg and nuts from my diet. Yesterday I had a bit of all of that and today had blood. After 2 weeks, I will introduce nuts or eggs to rule those out. Pedi wants to hold off on reflux meds for now to see if the diet change will be enough but we plan to incline her naps and bed time now.

2. What have you been surprised to learn has hidden dairy and/or soy in it? Well, I start today but I can see it's going to be in everything. I used to be Paleo pre-pregnancy so I plan to go back to my old recipes, although they included a lot of eggs and nuts. Fingers crossed that I can rule those out after a couple weeks. If we do, I LOVE this Paleo site: www.paleomg.com, if anyone is interested.

3. Any other burning questions you'd like answered or experiences to share? I'm sure I'll definitely have some next week since I'm just starting. So far, I'm reading everyone else's experiences and welcome any advice!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• @RingOfFire11 Welcome! That is a lot to eliminate at once. Be extra careful about getting enough calories! You might want to see a dietician to help meal plan. GL!
  • 1. How are you doing? Yesterday I was feeling deprived, but today (Fat Tuesday) I'm feeling better. We had Chipotle tonight, so it was nice not to have to cook. And the Enjoy Life Double Chocolate Crunch granola saved the day!

How is your LO doing? DS's eczema is still flaring. For the past couple of days he has developed hives off and on during meals. Poops are fine. Mood -- the days he has hives he's fussy too. Today was a good day, though.

2. What have you been surprised to learn has hidden dairy and/or soy in it? My multivitamin. I was also surprised that many brands of canned tuna has soy. Sprouts brand does not.

3. Any other burning questions you'd like answered or experiences to share? At my library I checked out the Learning to Bake Allergen-Free: A Crash Course for Busy Parents on Baking without Wheat, Gluten, Dairy, Eggs, Soy or Nuts cookbook and am very excited to try some of the recipes. If anyone else has cookbook or recipe websites they like, please let me know.

photo 9acca2d2-3800-4433-bb71-c445948b76cf_zpsd9667865.jpg

Anniversary

• @lovelainie We are using Rice Dream and Tempt (hemp milk). Rice Dream tastes better, but Tempt has better nutrition. I'm slowly getting used to the taste of it.

photo 9acca2d2-3800-4433-bb71-c445948b76cf_zpsd9667865.jpg

Anniversary

• @RingOfFire11 Welcome! That is a lot to eliminate at once. Be extra careful about getting enough calories! You might want to see a dietician to help meal plan. GL!

Thanks for the welcome!

I was kind of wondering if I was going to be eliminating too much and if that would make it harder/longer to pinpoint the specific issue(s). I want to do make her as comfortable as I can, as fast as I can. I'm nervous about the calories too and my supply suffering because of that.

Thanks for the welcome! I was kind of wondering if I was going to be eliminating too much and if that would make it harder/longer to pinpoint the specific issue(s). I want to do make her as comfortable as I can, as fast as I can. I'm nervous about the calories too and my supply suffering because of that.
    Well, there are 2 basic approaches, one being to cut things out one at a time, the other to cut out a lot all at once then add back in one at a time. The second approach is usually taken for more severe cases, where the baby just needs relief right away.
    I am a little surprised by the plan to re-intro nuts or eggs after 2 weeks. It can take 3 to 5 weeks for milk and soy proteins to clear out of both your systems, and I do think the same is true for other foods as well. You might seek a second opinion, or ask for a referral to a pedi GE. I suppose if her symptoms have cleared after 2 weeks that time frame is just fine, and maybe you'd hold off if she's still having symptoms.
  • RingOfFire11RingOfFire11 member
    edited March 2014
    @RingOfFire11 Welcome! That is a lot to eliminate at once. Be extra careful about getting enough calories! You might want to see a dietician to help meal plan. GL!
    Thanks for the welcome! I was kind of wondering if I was going to be eliminating too much and if that would make it harder/longer to pinpoint the specific issue(s). I want to do make her as comfortable as I can, as fast as I can. I'm nervous about the calories too and my supply suffering because of that.
    Well, there are 2 basic approaches, one being to cut things out one at a time, the other to cut out a lot all at once then add back in one at a time. The second approach is usually taken for more severe cases, where the baby just needs relief right away.
    I am a little surprised by the plan to re-intro nuts or eggs after 2 weeks. It can take 3 to 5 weeks for milk and soy proteins to clear out of both your systems, and I do think the same is true for other foods as well. You might seek a second opinion, or ask for a referral to a pedi GE. I suppose if her symptoms have cleared after 2 weeks that time frame is just fine, and maybe you'd hold off if she's still having symptoms.
    I REALLY appreciate the feedback. The pedi seemed to believe it was a milk/soy issue but I had mentioned that her worst days are after I have eggs (but come to think of it, maybe it's because I have milk and cheese in them) and that I had peanuts the night before the noticeably bloody diaper. The doctor mentioned that both of those things could be issues too so I may have to cut those out. She told me not to be worried if her symptoms didn't improve right away as it could take a couple weeks, rather than days. I assumed it meant to cut them all out because she said once we have improvement, I could add something back, in an attempt to pinpoint the issue. After hearing your advice, I definitely don't want to add anything back too early because it breaks my heart how miserable DD2 is. Now I'm second guessing if she intended me to just start with milk/soy but was drawing my attention to eggs and nuts since I told her how much they are in my current diet.

• @RingOfFire11 It sounds like it's up to you. Either way, I would wait until her symptoms clear to add anything back to your diet, whether that's 2 weeks or 5 weeks.
    With my DS we took the gradual approach. First dairy, then soy, then eggs and peanuts (same as you, I was eating a lot of those so I just cut them out at the same time), then wheat. Most of his discomfort dissipated when I cut dairy, so he wasn't too bad off, and the gradual approach seemed fine for us.
    Maybe you could give your pedi a call to clarify. She might just be intending the 2 week appt to be a check in. GL!
  • 1. How are you doing? How is your LO doing? Hi- new here to this board-- my dd2 is 11 wks and I've been dairy and soy free since she was 3 days old- my DD1 had diary/soy issues when I nursed her and at 1 yr those allergies where confirmed as well as eggs and nuts/peanuts. So I just started off without dairy(well I cheated those first few days, I was dying for ice cream(I was GD during pregnancy). I did take out eggs when she was about a month old- I had some And she didn't respond well- I'm assuming it was from that.

2. What have you been surprised to learn has hidden dairy and/or soy in it? There's dairy/soy in just about everything

3. Any other burning questions you'd like answered or experiences to share? Sooooo- does nuts and eggs go through breast milk? I did have eggs but I'm wondering if they put milk or butter on them or if the eggs go through the milk?
  • @Julesfly17 Welcome! It is nice to have another MSPI veteran. Yes, your baby will get the egg and nut proteins through your milk if you eat them. Any of the top allergens, and even other foods, can be potential culprits for upsetting your LOs system. A lot of us in this check in have had to eliminate multiple foods. So you are in good company!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"