Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

UBV + second seat vs. double stroller

We are expecting our second baby this fall, our son will be just she of two when the new baby arrives. We currently have (and love!) an Uppababy Vista. The plan was always to but the second seat when we had a second baby, but I was just looking at it and the weight limit is 35lbs. My son is currently 33 lbs so I'm worried he would be way too big for it by the time the new baby is old enough to sit in that seat. I'm also a little concerned that he won't like riding below the main seat or won't be comfortable down there. (He's a big kid!)

We live in an urban area so I need a stroller that can fit through doorways and that I can take on public transit, as well as take in the car occasionally. Ideally I want something that I can snap my graco snugride in as well. We use the stroller daily now, so I imagine my son will still be using it frequently when the new baby comes.

So my question is if I should just get the second seat for my UBV or should I look at buying a double stroller? Has anyone been in a similar situation? Does anyone have a recommendation for a double stroller if that's the route we decide to go? I've been looking at the Valco Snap double and the City Mini GT double online but haven't seen them in person and am open to suggestions.

Sorry about the novel, and thanks in advance!

Re: UBV + second seat vs. double stroller

• Options

we're in this predicament.

I haven't bought the rumble seat yet based on the reviews of it..they're not stellar and it seems like an older child probably doesn't want to sit low and stare at the back of an infant seat. I'm not a huge fan of our UBV. I'm mostly lugging it in and out of the trunk. We tend to use the UC G Luxe more unless we're going to the bike path or walking around the neighborhood.

DD is 22 lbs and 15 months. #2 will be here when she is 19 months...so i'm still debating what to do and was thinking I could possibly get away with wearing #2 and using the UBV since on weekends DH is usually with me and we could use the G luxe as well. I'm not sure how unrealistic this is! Friends gave us a double maclaren umbrella, so I'm holding off on a double stroller just yet and seeing what we can get away with until #2 would be able to sit in an umbrella.

but..if your LO is already 33lbs..I don't know if I'd invest in the rumble seat..i know they're not expensive but the shelf life seems like it would be short for you unless you can find it at a consignment shop etc.

• Options
    hollygb22 said:

we're in this predicament.

I haven't bought the rumble seat yet based on the reviews of it..they're not stellar and it seems like an older child probably doesn't want to sit low and stare at the back of an infant seat. I'm not a huge fan of our UBV. I'm mostly lugging it in and out of the trunk. We tend to use the UC G Luxe more unless we're going to the bike path or walking around the neighborhood.

DD is 22 lbs and 15 months. #2 will be here when she is 19 months...so i'm still debating what to do and was thinking I could possibly get away with wearing #2 and using the UBV since on weekends DH is usually with me and we could use the G luxe as well. I'm not sure how unrealistic this is! Friends gave us a double maclaren umbrella, so I'm holding off on a double stroller just yet and seeing what we can get away with until #2 would be able to sit in an umbrella.

but..if your LO is already 33lbs..I don't know if I'd invest in the rumble seat..i know they're not expensive but the shelf life seems like it would be short for you unless you can find it at a consignment shop etc.

Thanks for your response, and congratulations on #2! I don't think I'd be very happy if I had to lug my stroller in and out of the car every day. We also have a GLuxe that we use in the car and on transit from time to time, but only use the Vista in the car once every few weeks. I've considered baby wearing also, but I don't want to rely on that for my only option. I think I want a seat for each kid, especially if I can snap my car seat in. I also don't really want to spend $600 on a third stroller that I'll have to find storage for. Tough decision!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mostly everyone hates the rumble seat on the UBV and end up getting something else like the Snap or City Mini GT.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Options
    I have the rumble seat and I love it but it's strictly for my car stroller and I only need the seat about half the time I'm using the stroller. I actually use it with my Versa because it fits on there.  I have a double BOB for walks and long outings that stays in our garage.  I adore having both and it covers me for about everything I ever want to do.  

That said, for city living, I would probably look at selling the Vista and getting a regular double.  The Valco Snap Duo is awesome.  Then you still have your G-Luxe as a single.  I just think it's a mistake to sell your only single, get a double and then not have a single to use but since you have 2 strollers already, you are in good shape. 
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • Options
    Thanks so much! I was actually considering getting a double and keeping all three. I feel like I'll want the vista if I only have one kid with me or for when my son is able to walk longer distances. The thought of spending so much money on strollers and needing to store all of them makes me feel a little sick though....

Does anyone have any opinions on the Snap vs the City Mini GT?
  • Options
    Have you considered the Baby Jogger City Select? It's a tandem double that people generally love with two kids close in age. Plus, you can use it as a single if you want. Pretty much does the job of the Vista and a double without having two strollers. Vistas have great resale value, BTW.
  • Options
    laurel22 said:

Have you considered the Baby Jogger City Select? It's a tandem double that people generally love with two kids close in age. Plus, you can use it as a single if you want. Pretty much does the job of the Vista and a double without having two strollers. Vistas have great resale value, BTW.

This is what we just got. I like that each seat is an actual full seat that can hold up to 45 pounds each. Baby #2 is not here yet so we've only used it as a single, but so far I really like it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My girls are 28 months apart and I owned a vista with my first. I love the vista but thought I'd need a double. I purchased the city select and hated it! I ended up purchasing the rumble seat for the vista (my old daughter is 32 lbs) and use it for quick trips and the mall. I purchased a city mini gt double which I love. I didn't think I'd love a double side by side but this one is great. I ended up selling my city select.
  • Options

laurel22 said:

This is what we just got. I like that each seat is an actual full seat that can hold up to 45 pounds each. Baby #2 is not here yet so we've only used it as a single, but so far I really like it.
    Thanks ladies. I did consider this one but I've heard some people say it's pretty cumbersome to push as a single. Did either of you find this was the case?
  • Options

this is a great thread!

I never thought about selling the UBV..but I just saw a local consginment store say they were looking for used ones. We have so many accessories for it as well.

Did any one use the Citi Mini with the infant seat adapter?

I guess my biggest concern would be what to do with #2 while she's a newborn. The most use we got out of the UBV was with the infant seat adapter while I was on maternity leave. I barely use it with my 15 month old just because it's heavy and bulky (to me) and just a big stroller to get in and out of the trunk. DD#1 will remain in daycare while I'm on maternity leave. Just wondering if it would wise to wait a little while if I were to sell the UBV until #2 is a little bigger and can tolerate sitting up in a stroller

• Options
    ebp913ebp913 member
    edited February 2014
    I would choose the Snap over the GT for several reasons.  It's much lighter, has a better basket and the car seat adapter is more better designed.  The GT double is nice but it's heavy and the basket is pretty much useless.  

The City Select is hard to push with 2 kids in it, especially when the older one is out front.  I wouldn't want it for long walks or any kind of terrain.  I think it's very overrated but I know some people really love it. I just highly value the ease of pushing the stroller and the City Select is just not that great in that area. 

Oh also, Brooklyn Baby World has the Snap duo online for $250.  ;)  I am self declared stroller snob... and I've owned like 12-15 stroller so far. 
    image   image
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • Options
    ebp913 said:
    I would choose the Snap over the GT for several reasons.  It's much lighter, has a better basket and the car seat adapter is more better designed.  The GT double is nice but it's heavy and the basket is pretty much useless.  

The City Select is hard to push with 2 kids in it, especially when the older one is out front.  I wouldn't want it for long walks or any kind of terrain.  I think it's very overrated but I know some people really love it. I just highly value the ease of pushing the stroller and the City Select is just not that great in that area. 

Oh also, Brooklyn Baby World has the Snap duo online for $250.  ;)  I am self declared stroller snob... and I've owned like 12-15 stroller so far. 
    Are you by chance in this Fb group? https://www.facebook.com/groups/300499813388650/
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Options
    ebp913 said:

Are you by chance in this Fb group? https://www.facebook.com/groups/300499813388650/
    Oh yes... :)
    image   image
  • Options
    ebp913 said:

Are you?
    image   image
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. I did consider this one but I've heard some people say it's pretty cumbersome to push as a single. Did either of you find this was the case?
    It is not nearly as easy as my City Mini to push, so I still use that one for the most part until #2 is here, but it is not horrible. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    hollygb22 said:

this is a great thread!

I never thought about selling the UBV..but I just saw a local consginment store say they were looking for used ones. We have so many accessories for it as well.

Did any one use the Citi Mini with the infant seat adapter?

I guess my biggest concern would be what to do with #2 while she's a newborn. The most use we got out of the UBV was with the infant seat adapter while I was on maternity leave. I barely use it with my 15 month old just because it's heavy and bulky (to me) and just a big stroller to get in and out of the trunk. DD#1 will remain in daycare while I'm on maternity leave. Just wondering if it would wise to wait a little while if I were to sell the UBV until #2 is a little bigger and can tolerate sitting up in a stroller

Yes, I used my City Mini with the car seat adapter for months and it worked great.  I really love my City Mini!
  • Options
    I saw the UBV fully assembled with the rumble seat and it did not look comfortable. If/when we add an second child, I am getting the city mini double GT. It looks really easy to handle. We will then sell our UBV.

DOR and AMA
    2/12-5/12: 4 IUI cycles = all BFN;
    7/12: DE IVF # 1 (with ICSI)- 20R, 16M, 14F, 5DT of 2 blasts; 6 frosties = BFN;
    Lupus anticoagulant initially high, then found to be normal on hematology consult;
    Follow up testing in September all clear;
    Started synthroid for "high normal" TSH;
    FET # 1- late October 2012- BFP on FRER; beta # 1- 21(low), beta # 2- 48 (still low), beta # 3- 132, beta # 4- 1,293; beta # 5- 5,606; last beta- over 100,000. First u/s 11/21- heard heartbeat
    12/12- Officially an OB patient!
    Level 2 ultrasound at 20 weeks shows vasa previa and VCI
    Referral to MFM and mandatory c section for delivery
    Beautiful baby girl born at 34 weeks
    Finally home after 15 day NICU stay!
    Trying for sibling: FET # 2- May 2014; beta 5/31, BFN
    FET #3, early July 2014; beta 7/14, BFN
    DE IVF # 2- August 2014; 14R, 13M, 11F, 5dt of 2 blasts (3 AA), 5 frosties = BFN
    FET #4- December 2014, yet another BFN

Dr. KK work up shows borderline uterine blood flow, elevated NK cells, and MTHFR mutation (homozygous for c677t)

Added baby aspirin, prednisone, supplements, Metanx, and intralipids

Switched to large clinic for final attempt; had endometrial receptivity testing in January; FET March 2015 = yet another BFN

Likely OAD- NBC

• Options
    Thank you all so much for you help! (And for the tip about the online deal. Unfortunately I'm in Canada so any stroller I buy will be expensive.... So expensive...) I think I'm going to try to find a place where I can try them both in person and decide from there.

One more question, how do both of these strollers handle in the snow? Not that I'm going to be trudging through the tundra, but I do use my stroller on snowy/icy sidewalks in the winter so it needs to handle reasonably well in bad weather.
  • Options
    We have the Vista and a 3 yr old. Baby due Friday. We got the piggyback for the older kid. But I really plan to wear the infant most of the time and so the 3 yr old will ride in the normal seat for awhile longer. We are also urban and use it pretty much daily. I also have a bike trailer (we bike a lot) that converts to a double stroller when needed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"