Military Families

Can he be there when she's born.

So my bf is in the Airforce and he's 8 hours away from where I live. We both want him there when she's born but we're not sure how likely it is or if he can take leave if I go into labor. Any sugesstions or advice?
pregnant

Re: Can he be there when she's born.

• There are way too many factors.  It really depends on his command, what he's doing at the time, when you go into labor and all sorts of other things.  There is no way for us to know.  He needs to talk to his command and see what they have to say.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I feel like the one thing I have learned being a military spouse is that nothing is ever for sure! 

My husband is in a medical school right now.  Even though he will go right back to the command we were just at, we paid out of pocket to move me to the base he is currently at so that he would have the CHANCE to be at our daughter's birth.  We will head right back to CA from the school in NC once he is finished, which is why the military didn't pay for the move, but I felt it was worth it for the chance for him to be there.  Even though we live together here in NC, there is still a chance he won't be there and he doesn't get any time off after the birth.  I would be prepared for both scenarios, him being there and him not there.  I would also suggest, as the other posters did, that he speak with his command regarding the situation and see what they have to say.

Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • Bexx24Bexx24 member
    imageiluvmytxrgr:
    There are way too many factors.  It really depends on his command, what he's doing at the time, when you go into labor and all sorts of other things.  There is no way for us to know.  He needs to talk to his command and see what they have to say.  
    yeppers. could be yes, could be a big fat no.
  • He can take regular leave as long as there are no military obligations like training and deployment. I agree with others about his command, they may be generous enough to give him convalescent leave but might not because you are not his wife.

• I know this is months after the question was asked but one of your best things is when you go into labor send out a Red Cross message to your boyfriend/spouse and that is a way that they can come to you on emergency leave.  My husband and I are both Navy, but I have a friend where she and her spouse are Army.  Her husband was away at school, and she sent the Red Cross message and he was able to leave school and take his 10 days of Paternity leave.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"