July 2014 Moms

Warning about white nose machines.

Re: Warning about white nose machines.

• I liked our white noise machine. Not sure if we really needed it. I think my son has selective hearing inherited by his father, but I really don't think the sound machine has inhibited his hearing thus far.

And I've never had a bumper like that before (in the article picture) -- is that how thick all of them are?!

• Loading the player...
  • tourqeyes said:
    I liked our white noise machine. Not sure if we really needed it. I think my son has selective hearing inherited by his father, but I really don't think the sound machine has inhibited his hearing thus far.

And I've never had a bumper like that before (in the article picture) -- is that how thick all of them are?!

All the ones that I have seen included in the bedding packages are that thick.
     Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Eh, I would take studies like this with a grain of salt. I've never had a white noise machine, so I'm not familiar with them, but I do have a humidifier in my room that I cannot sleep without (I switch to a fan in the summer).

Our baby will be sleeping in our room, and I'm not concerned about a small hum or a fan. My friends baby has slept with a small fan in her nursery and she can hear just fine...

"Your truth is different from my truth, and we're both right."

TTC since March 2013. BFP 4/13/13, blighted ovum discovered 6/6/13, m/c 6/8/13.

BFP 11/10/13, EDD 7/25/13 - stick little owlet!

BabyFruit Ticker

View Full Size Image

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• kmawbkmawb member

I'm not giving up DDs sound machine (and this study is a bunch of crap)!! 

My DD sleeps with a sound machine at night and during naps (it's over 6 feet away from her and is never at more than half volume).  She loves it, it helps her sleep, so we love it too. 

My DH and I have an air purifier in our room that is running 24-7 (DH has bad allergies) and if it's off we notice immediately, so that provides a constant white noise in our room too (plus I've got DDs sound machine coming through the monitor on my side of the bed too).

We also use fans in DDs room and our room in the summer.

I have actually used a white noise app on my phone when I'm OOT to help me sleep better, because I found it too quiet for me now without the white noise I'm used to at home (plus it helps drown out the noises from the hallway in a hotel).

AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Holy bumper.

We'll probably have a fan in the room. I sleep with a fan or I CANT sleep.
    imageimage

BFP #1 11.10.13 EDD 07.22.14 Stick baby cake!
    image https://us.v-cdn.net/5020794/uploads/FileUpload/ee/d355aa73ed49767417acbbe29ed0e6.png  BabyFruit Ticker

• My 2.5 year old still uses a white noise machine. It's been a god send, but I think it's time we ween her off of it or she'll use it for her entire life. 

User Banned You have been banned from posting on the forums until 01-11-2165 8:18 AM. The reason for this ban is Inappropriate Links or Signature. Please return to participate in the forums after the ban has elapsed.
  • My 2 year old has slept with a sound machine for all naps pretty much since birth. I don't even want to read that article.
    One direction photo: One Direction gif onedirectiongifmacarenaey_zpsbdaf903f.gif
    DS born 3.12 
    DD born 7.14
  • If this kid is anything like me, the sounds of Skyrim and Call of Duty will become a lullaby and white noise won't be necessary, lol.

That being said without any proof to back it up, this article isn't much more then an opinion.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image
    BFP: 11.09.13   EDD: 07.21.14 
    Baby Sylvia born 07.20.14
    5 lbs 14.8 oz | 20 1/4 inches

• Uhhhh did you see the bumpers on the crib?! Lets talk about a suffocation factor before if a kid will having hearing issues for a dumb parent blaring a sound machine next to the baby's head.

BFP#1: 08/30/12 EDD 04/30/12 m/c 09/04/12 6wks
    BFP#2: 01/27/13 EDD 10/06/13 missed m/c 02/25/13 9wks
    BFP#3: 10/30/13 EDD 07/05/14 Our little dude was born on 07/10/14 @ 2:19p <3

• tourqeyes said:

I liked our white noise machine. Not sure if we really needed it. I think my son has selective hearing inherited by his father, but I really don't think the sound machine has inhibited his hearing thus far.

No, I have seen them much, much thinner than that. That is a little excessive IMO.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Reading the article, they clearly state they have not studied how parents actually use them... common sense people, you should be able to know what is too loud/too close! We have an air purifier and have our ceiling fan on 24/7 - I am used to sleeping with quiet noise and will probably do the same with baby regardless.I am not too worried about noise of our house, but I think the white noise can be a good trigger to let baby know, hey it is time to sleep. Who knows, FTM so I could be wrong!

• My DD who is almost 3 1/2 still sleeps with one.  She doesn't HAVE to have it.  She doesn't use one at daycare.  But our walls/doors here are super thin and it helps drown out noise.  This new baby will have one as well.  DH & I sleep with a fan, on high, for the sound only.  So I guess I hope this isn't true since I'm a sign language interpreter and depend on my hearing for my job! 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

BabyFetus Ticker
  • How I feel about this article…

Exactly, the ONLY thing the article "found" was that white noise machines were louder than hospital nurseries or workplaces have their long exposure sound thresholds: "https://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/03/03/white-noise-machines-may-harm-infants-hearing/'.

All the crap about hearing damage, risks and potential problems are conjectures, assumptions and complete hokum. Bad research/articles to scare parents and make the news.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I've used a fan while sleeping since I was 12. My kids, ages 13 and 15 use a fan at night now, too. The 21 month old uses a sound machine. Were all screwed!
    My iPad apologizes for it's lack of formatting.

image   image

• I agree with PPs. This article needs to be taken with a grain of salt. White noise helped SO much when DD was a newborn and we still use it. I don't think it's too loud and it's not right next to her head. The music we use is a bunch of ocean sounds, nothing crazy. It's the one thing everyone (nurses, doctors) has told me is okay to keep using as long as we want b/c many adults find white noise soothing (I was worried it was a crutch). Seriously use your own discretion as a mother and do what you think is best.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • This is one of the teaser stories for our 6 pm news.  Must be a slow night.  Ha.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • We have sound machine and a fan to hide DH's awful snoring.  There should be a PSA about snoring and how it damages hearing.   

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I'm taking it with a grain of salt

the only tested at the MAX the machines would go - I have never used mine that high

a low constant sound help dd sleep, I'll be buying a second one for this baby

it's kind of DUH not to put it on full blast, of course that could damage a baby's ears

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"