Adoption

Is this odd?

CeCe8579CeCe8579 member
edited February 2014 in Adoption
We are doing a DIA or a no legal risk foster to adopt through our local DSS. Our adoption CW said that we may have a much faster placement if we search for and find potential BPs. I was kind of shocked when she said that so I froze up and didn't really ask questions. I never thought of asking a stranger if I could adopt their unborn child or infant. How would you even do that? Opinions, experiences and advice, please! Thank you so much!
Carly
(Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

Re: Is this odd?

• Yes, it's becoming increasingly common to independently network and look for expectant parents who are thinking of making an adoption plan. Some people use word of mouth at their doctor's office, their church, friends, and relatives. Others set up a FB page with their profile and a way for expectant parents to contact them. Some use facilitators or law firms on top of any agency involvement they may have.

So no, it's not odd.

• I know there are websites to connect PAP's and EM's. Can't remember the name but I found them by googling when I was expecting. So it must be fairly common. Also, I think the way they'd recommend it is through an avenue that connects you with EM's actively looking for PAP's so it's not awkward or potentially harmful to the EM that way. It seems several families on here have been matched by being open about their journey and a friend of a friend knowing someone looking for PAP's.
    Birthmom to A, 1/8- the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

A Journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. -Lao-Tzu

• Loading the player...
  • I believe what your cw means is not to approach people and ask them to adopt their child, however let friends and family know you are interested in adopting. You never know who knows or may come across a bm whom is thinking about placing a child for adoption. Many times it is comforting to the bm that the person they may place their child with has a connection through friends or family, the best type of recommendation.
  • Our agency encourages networking and even signing on with multiple agencies to increase chances and reduce the wait time.
    image   image   image
    TTC since 2010 | 3 miscarriages | Diagnosed with stage IV endo | Adopted our little girl Aug 25, 2014

image AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • We signed up with seven different agencies around the country and got potential profiles that we could present to on a fairly regular basis of a few each week. We were matched within about 6 months luckily.

We also met and talked with several other semi local places like pregnancy centers and church groups but had no luck with any of those but made a lot of life long friends and relationships there.
    Proud 40 year old, first time daddy!
  • Thank you so much for your advice everyone! We definitely won't be walking up to strangers asking to adopt their babies, hehe! We've found some good resources in our area. We are going through our local DSS and they only work wit one agency and we don't have the out of pocket for some of the others in the area. We have been in contact with a local non-profit teen pregnancy program as well that is on the next county over. My friend who has just moved from our county to another is helping as well. I do really appreciate all if the support here! Good luck to everyone :-)
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"