2nd Trimester
Options

Glucose test… FAIL

So, all the other tests and genetic screening passed thus far. Hoorah! But just got the initial glucose test back (1 hour) and failed, so I/m going in next week for the 3 hour, fasted test. Anyone else go through this? Diabetes runs in my family, I'm likely at my higher weight since getting pregnant and didn't shave off the last 10 pounds from baby #1. Should I be super concerned? I'm trying to eat healthy and stay active but have had my moments thus far!

Re: Glucose test… FAIL

• Options
    So sorry. I just got the drink that you have to guzzle down. I have my test in a month. I am a bit worries since diabetes is in my family and I am a bit heavier than I should have been before I became pregnant.

I am not sure what happens next keep us posted. This has been on my mind Hope all goes well.

Me (40) DH (42).......Married 7/1/11......TTC 12/2013.......BFP #1 12/30/12........EDD 9/8/13
    Spotting,clot 2/15/13 all ok......2/21/13 no heartbeat 11 w 4 d missed miscarriage........2/22/13 DnC :(
    BFP # 2 10.10.13...........EDD 6.19.14

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    I failed both the 1 and 3 hr and was diagnost with GD. I was heart broken at first. It's been over a month so far and I've been ok. I just stick to my diet that the nutritionist gave me and test when I'm supposed to, and my numbers have been awesome. My doctors have been pleased. And they have been keeping an eye on the baby and so far he's looking great. Don't worry tho people can fail the 1 hr and pass the 3 hour :-)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Well if I fail the 3 hour as well.. what does that ultimately mean for baby? What are the big complications?
  • Options
    I just took my one hour test last week! Yuck that drink was gross!

I gave my mother GD when she was pregnant with me, or well she blames me for it!

BabyFruit Ticker
    *~*Landon Robert Montoya*~*
  • Options
    tnd1218tnd1218 member
    edited March 2014
    I meet with my nutritionist/high risk ob on Monday. I'm on day 3 of my new diet. I cried my eyes out when they called and told me I had GD and not going to lie cried after meeting with her Monday. It's not bad. I check my levels 4 times a day and have a food/levels log I keep and we go over when I meet with her. I've had several people tell me they failed the 1 hour but passed the 3 hour. I skipped the 1 hour due to increased fluid around baby at my anatomy scan and was told I would just do the 3 hour.

BabyFetus Tickerphoto 2ceebf02-c89c-48f9-aa15-cf2562600e12.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Failing the 1 hour is VERY common and many people who fail the one hour pass the three hour.  When I was pregnant with DD it seemed like every other person on my BMB failed the 1 hour and very few of them ended up with GD, myself included.  From what I understand, having a family history of type 1 or 2 diabetes has nothing to do with gestational diabetes, it is due to hormonal changes during pregnancy.

ETA: Also, according to WebMD (which I know is not the most reliable source) being overweight by 20% or more of your ideal body weight can be a factor, but many woman who develop GD have no known risk factors.  A friend of mine had it and she was very small.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @Erin0303 the only thing they said to me was women with GD the babies tend to be bigger. That was there only concern with me bc I'm small. But so far the baby is measuring normal. As long as you stick to the diet plan an watch your carb intake you should be fine.
  • Options
    I took it to see if I was insulin resistant due to PCOS. The big things is to NOT cut down on carbs a few days before the test because it can suddenly spike your blood sugar when you are given that glucose drink (which is pure sugar). 

My doctor told me to make sure I didn't limit them (since I was eating low carb) otherwise it will skew the test. 

Its long…boring…and tastes disgusting (I had the lime drink) but at least you'll find out what you need to do after. 
    BFP 7/13 ended 9/13 MMC BFP 1/14 BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I always fail my 1 hour, but pass my 3 hour test.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Agree with PP, many people pass the 3-hour after failing the 1-hour.  Also, anyone can be diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes regardless of weight. 

I didn't pass my 1-hour & only failed 1 portion of the 3-hour test.  The diagnosed me as "Glucose Intolerant" & told me to follow a diabetic diet.  I don't have to do prick tests or anything, but it scared me into following the nutritionist's plan to the T.  The upside is the baby looks "marvelously" healthy at almost 20 weeks, and I've lost 8 pounds from not eating a lick of sweets for the past 7 weeks.  Obviously weight loss was NOT my goal, but I am considered significantly overweight, and I found this diagnosis was the jump-start I needed to make healthier choices. 

Good luck with your test & know that the doctors & nutritionists will be there to guide you, if needed.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Im hoping Im in the same boat as the fail the one hour and pass the 3 hour, but we will see. Thanks for all the words of encouragement and information! I have my test Tuesday.
  • Options
    I just had a pregnant woman tell me she won't be taking any GD tests because "her friends" told her that they only got GD because they drank the thing they give you to drink!!!!

Good luck I hope you pass both tests and I hope I do too cause I will be doing it in 3 weeks time.

nelleebelle your shakes siggy is killing me...it's 9 am here and I already want one
    imageimage
    God Bless You my Little One
    Farida, our first child, born on the 19th of July 2014
    Farida, at 8 weeks
  • Options
    I failed my one hour and passed my fasting and 2 hour, but I have GD! I'm overweight and having twins and my mom's diabetic. It sucks. I have no energy to eat super healthy (have a nasty cold, too), but my sugars were pretty good after seeing the dietician, so I'm only gonna be monitored every 3 weeks, but my sugars the last few days have been crap. :(

Anyways, don't be concerned, just wait to see what happens and go from there. Your doctor will tell you what to do.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"