Parenting
Options

s/o grocery budgets (savings tips?)

Since we're all talking about how much we spend and some of us would like to knock that down a little, what are some of the things you do to cut costs?  I'm talking about besides couponing and bulk buying.  What trade/substitution/trick have you found that saves you money?

Re: s/o grocery budgets (savings tips?)

• Options
    For instance, for me, one small change was buying whole melons (hehe) and pineapples and cutting them up myself.  I can get a pineapple for $1.98 and have it last the entire week (I eat some every morning with my breakfast.)  

The other thing is that the vinegar rinse totally works to make berries last longer.  I used to waste so much money on berries that went bad before we could finish them.
  • Options
    Soxgirl07Soxgirl07 member
    edited March 2014
    I buy spices in the small Mexican section. I forget what the brand is, but they have a white label. 2 aisles over, different packaging, same exact spices for way cheaper.

ETA: damn autocorrect
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I use the salad bar at the grocery store to get my toppings for homemade pizza. Then I can just get a few sliced of pepperoni and some prechopped veggies. Way cheaper than buying a bunch of whole things that I am not always good about using up.
    I also buy a tub of plain Greek yogurt. I use it on its own, but also as a substitute for a ton of other ingredients (sour cream, mayo, oil in baking, buttermilk, etc).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    i render my own lard.  saves so much butter money.

too far?

however long the night, dawn will break.

• Options
    Hay tampons.  My vagina just closed up.

I garden in the summer, buy generics (some generics are crap, but most are the exact same thing), only buy meat and produce on sale, and I don't buy a lot of junk food or drinks (except alcohol - that is necessary).  The most important thing is to meal plan so we actually eat everything we buy.  I hate wasting food.
    A: 3.07
    G: 6.10
    L: 11.13

• Options
    I need to start meal planning. I'll literally decide that day what I want for dinner and go to the store. I know we waste so much food which is annoying and I feel like I grocery shop 3-4x per week. Are there any websites or places you went to meal plan?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

For instance, for me, one small change was buying whole melons (hehe) and pineapples and cutting them up myself.  I can get a pineapple for $1.98 and have it last the entire week (I eat some every morning with my breakfast.)  

The other thing is that the vinegar rinse totally works to make berries last longer.  I used to waste so much money on berries that went bad before we could finish them.
    Haven't read the rest of the post so sorry if it's a repeat question. Does the vinegar rinse not make the berries taste like vinegar? I can so see my DD turning up her nose at vinegar berries.

• Options
    It really doesn't. You dilute it with water. I smell it during the rinse, but not after.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"