October 2014 Moms
Options

Down Syndrome and Testing?

My husband's sister had down syndrome, she was the first born. His parent's didn't keep her saying costs were too much. It made me really sad to hear this. I was also concerned it might be in his genes, but after a lot of research I realize it is not necessarily a hereditary trait, its very rare if it is. I am not sure if they know which it was. Honestly to me it doesn't matter. Of course, I want a healthy baby but that doesn't influence whether I would keep my child or not.
My issue is he told his parent's the other day that I'm pregnant and their first comment was about me getting tested because I am at higher risk (Which now I know isn't necessarily true). It really bugs me that they are so judgmental! I had a sonogram and checkup on Tuesday and I denied the screening for things like downs. To me, I really don't need to know and the screenings aren't the most accurate.
I guess I'm not really asking a question here, more like ranting about my in laws!
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Down Syndrome and Testing?

• Options
    They aborted her or gave her up for adoption? Just wondering...
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Adoption. I think they expect me to abort if I found out I had a high risk. Some of their opinions really aren't welcome!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    kibylou said:
    They aborted her or gave her up for adoption? Just wondering...

She said she was the first born, so I'd assume adoption. So sad.

*January Siggy Challenge - Snow Fails*

imageimageimage

• Options
    Even though you wouldn't do anything differently if the baby had Downs and you're probably not at higher risk, I would at least consider getting the testing. Babies who have Downs can have more complicated births and can need extra help becoming stable once born (for heart reasons, lung reasons, etc.) and it's just a lot safer if the medical team is aware before the baby is born so that they can take the best care of the baby. Just something to think about!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    I will think about screening. I denied with my normal OB but I'm being sent to a high risk Dr. hopefully within the next week or two and my original OB said the high risk Dr. would probably offer it again so something to think about. (High risk for blood clotting/Factor II). Thanks everyone :) I definitely want to do the best for my child. Unfortunately my husbands mindset has been warped by his parents but I know its because he doesn't understand options. I'm in the early childhood field so I have a better understanding to begin with.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    At my 10 week appointment the nurse and I had this discussion. She said really if I am young and healthy there is no reason to test. She also said that the test isn't as accurate as you would think and it can be wrong either way. So even if everything comes back ok it may not be and vice versa.

So knowing the testing isn't overly true I opted out. For us it wouldn't matter if we kept our baby or not even if he or she was born with down syndrome.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think the testing just gives you the opportunity to plan appropriately.  I would think there are so very many things that change with a special needs child, and you would be doing a disservice to the child if you did not give yourself the most time possible to prepare.  Understandably people's opinions are going to vary and its always disappointing when family is not supportive.  But if the idea is that this child is welcome and loved no matter what, then I think you should prepare as best possible for them. 

Native NYC-ers living in Switzerland - First time parents - 36 + 37

TTC: 8 Months / BFP: 2/8/2014 / EDD: 10/20/2014  

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    With my first pregnancy, I has the testing done. Didn't come back with good news..however I too read about how the testing was always wrong and how you shouldn't rely on just one test. I even had people here on TB say that the tests were sometimes in accurate. But with mine, it wasn't just one test. They did the screening, drew blood and it didn't come back good. They referred me to a maternal fetal medicine doctor at the hospital where I had 2-D ultrasounds, and an amino done to confirm, and it wasn't good. My doctor just didn't suggest termination based on the first screening. I agree with others on here, knowledge is power and the more you know the more you and your doctors can prepare. Whether that preparation is getting yourself ready to have a baby with special needs or making the decision to let your baby go. Also, I was 28 with absolutely NO risk factors for any genetic abnormalities, so even at low risk I would always suggest the screening.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My husband's brother has Down Syndrome. He's a lovely person who gets along in the world, incredibly charming. However, this fact and several other "red flags" in my husbands family tree are enough that the midwife is recommending a consult with a Geneticist who can help us sort out what's inherited and what's just the luck of the draw, and who can explain our testing options.

I see zero problem with this.

Having spoken at length with my MIL over the challenges of raising a special needs child (plus my own experiences on the medical side), I understand the value of appropriate planning.

OP - your in laws are coming from a perspective you don't yet (and may never) truly understand, although since you say you have experience in early childhood I would hope you can at least empathize. What you consider judgmental may be their expression of their own fears, based on experience. Framing it that way might help you tolerate their concerns more easily.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    There was a story on NPR about a "new genetic screening" but they didn't actually name the test.  I assumed they were talking about this test though?

BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    femailfemail member
    edited February 2014
    We were offered this test at our appointment yesterday, but turned it down. If you had the test and it was positive, would you do anything different? We wouldn't have, so it didn't make sense for us to test.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    LEP424 said:
    Knowledge is power. I view screening as a opportunity to research everything necessary (ahead of time) if we were to have a child with a cognitive or physical impairment. I would want to have interviewed therapists (OT, PT, SLP) ahead of time to ensure my LO had all the possibilities the world had to offer them. Agreeing to screening doesn't mean a person would change anything about her pregnancy.
    I don't think that I could agree with this any more.  

For us, we chose to go through with the IPS (integrated prenatal screening, includes both the NT scan and 2 rounds of blood work several weeks apart) so that we could be fully prepared for anything we might have to face. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @femail I was offered it today to make an appt. I would do a lot different. I would read books on raising a downs baby, I would find a recommended pediatrician, I would set up early intervention professionals etc.

I completely understand not wanting to test, but I can also see why people with no plan to terminate would test also. A riskier pregnancy and more challenging parenting lifestyle is something I would want to prepare for.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    LEP424 said:

Knowledge is power. I view screening as a opportunity to research everything necessary (ahead of time) if we were to have a child with a cognitive or physical impairment. I would want to have interviewed therapists (OT, PT, SLP) ahead of time to ensure my LO had all the possibilities the world had to offer them. Agreeing to screening doesn't mean a person would change anything about her pregnancy.

Totally agree with you here. We opted for the 11-13 week u/s that measures the neck but in no possible scenario would we abort/put up for adoption. We also denied further screening/amino for risk factors fyi

Lil Pumpkin Caffrey ~ 10/3/14

• Options
    Can we save this conversation for when more people hit the 12 week mark? This will be asked approximately 1 million times and I think all the viewpoints were covered nicely in this thread.
  • Options
    Wow, I'm so sorry you had to deal with this! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Options
    LEP424 said:

I agree. Many people also forget the test screens for other conditions far more serious than Down Syndrome.
    O14 May Siggy Challenge: Cinco de Mayo
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    LEP424 said:
    Agreed absolutely.

imageSoon to be San Diego Mommy! 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

We declined the Downs screening for our first two.

But with our first, we ended up finding out at 20 weeks that his left arm didn't fully develop. It was very stressful and the doctors put a lot of fear into me and pressured me to switch from my midwife to an OB. I almost wish I didn't know because they then considered me high risk and I had so many extra appointments. He was a healthy baby and did not need surgery (they were concerned his bone would be exposed, which it wasn't).

On the other hand (ha! Excuse the pun) it gave us a chance to adjust to his difference which might have been difficult finding out at birth. Although there was no name for it and we weren't able to get much support during pregnancy until I found an online support group. Until then, trying to research it myself just made me even more anxious.

The worst part was when the doctor asked me if I wanted to discontinue the pregnancy. I was horrified! How could I end my baby's life just because he didn't have a hand????

So my son was born without a left hand and his left arm is amputated below the elbow but it hasn't held him back in any way. He is so active and determined, plays hockey etc and has proved everyone wrong who has doubted his abilities! He is just amazing and I feel so blessed to be his Mommy.

ETA:
    Btw I wrote a blog about our journey and to encourage other parents who find out similar news during pregnancy.
    Http://Onelittlefin.blogspot.com

Hi Megs, does your son have symbrachydactyly? Have you checked out the Lucky Fin Project? A friend of mine started it and I know a lot of parents of kids with limb differences have gained from it. Just throwing it out there! :)

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    My BLOG: www.ivfbabyquest.wordpress.com -Update - old blog.

PAIF/SAIF Welcome!
    Me: 42, Hubby: 35, TTC since Jan 2010. Dx: DOR due to advanced maternal age. Also: Hypothyroidism (100mcg Levothyroxin). Positive for MTHFR (hetero-C677T), Factor V Leiden, and Fragile X (on DH side). Taking pre-natal vitamins
    First natural PG 9/27/11; mc: 1/20/12

First RE visit: 8/8/12, Saline Sonogram: 8/28/12, IVF injection class: 10/11/12, add FaBB Tab for FVL, +Vitamin D.
    IVF #1: 10/17/12 Baseline: FSH- 9.4, E2- 24, LH- 3.7, Prog- 0.3 The u/s showed 6 follicles in my right  & 9 in my left. Rx: 150 Bravelle & 150 Menopur SQ nightly. 10/21/12: Add Ganirelix SQ every morning.
    ER 10/28/12: 13 Retreived. 7 Mature. 6 Fertilized. 5 Made it to PGS. ET 11/2/12: CANCELED. All 5 came back from PGS as having "severe abnormalities."
    IVF #2: 1/7/13 Baseline: FSH- 8.8, 4 follicles in my right & 6 in my left. Rx: 150 Bravelle & 150 Menopur SQ nightly. 1/11/13: Add Ganirelix SQ every morning. hCG Trigger 1/16/13

ER 1/18/13: 9 Retrieved. 5 Mature. 5 Fertilized. 2 Made it to PGS. ET 1/23/13: CANCELED. All embryos (he even sent the ones not growing) came back from PGS as having "multiple severe abnormalities."
    IVF #3:
    NEW RE! 3/1/13 Baseline: FSH- 9.6, E2- 61, Prog- 0.94, 3 follicles in my right & 4 in my left. Rx: 150 Bravelle& 150 Menopur SQ in PM. 3/7/13: Add Ganirelix SQ in AM. hCG Trigger 3/9/13 SQ.
    ER 3/11/13: 6R, 2M, 2F. Day 3: one 8 cell, grade 0.  Five day ET 3/16/13: one early blast, grade Fair. 3/24/13 AF came a day before beta. BFN

IVF #4: 
    (Added acupuncture to this cycle.) 3/25/13 WTF & Baseline: FSH-11.8, E2- 56, Prog- 0.84 3/26/13 Start stims. 3/30/13 u/s: 5 follicles in my right & 4 in my left. Rx: 225 Bravelle& 225 Menopur SQ in PM. 3/31/13 Add Ganirelix SQ in AM.hCG Trigger 4/3/13 SQ.
    ER 4/5/13: 5R, 3M, 3F naturally. Day 3: two 8 cell, grade 0, one 8 cell, grade 2 (Scale 0-best to 3-worst). Five day ET 4/10/13: two blastocysts (the 3rd stopped growing.) Beta 4/18/13: 2.5 BFFN. RE recommends we stop trying and focus on living childless, due to the extremely poor quality of my eggs.
    ***Decided to stop trying and live CFNBC. I couldn't adjust. So, six months later...

IVF #5: Changed RE. Going to one of the big name clinics now. OWDU: 10/29/13. Update: HORRIBLE experience. Disgusted and distraught at their complete unprofessionalism and how much money and precious time they cost us. Sickening. Have now changed RE again. New Patient appt. 1/30/14.
    BFP! Out of nowhere, I got KU the old fashioned way! POAS 1/26/14 - Positive! FDLM 12/30/13. Beta #1 16dpo= 373. Beta #2 18dpo= 801. EDD 10/6/14
    2/4/14 1st U/S revealed a 5wk2day sac but no fetal pole. Started 200mgs of progesterone suppositories daily
    2/11/14 2nd U/S revealed a perfect 6wk1day "diamond ring" embryo with a beating heart! 138bpm! Add 1mg folic acid and 40mg Lovenox
    2/25/14 3rd U/S: perfect 8w1d embryo, 178bpm. 3/6 start spotting. 3/11 10w1d U/S shows no heartbeat. Scheduling D&C. The Stork has forsaken me again.
    IVF #5.2: New in-state RE. Supplement priming for 1.5 cycles prior to start of cycle, including DHEA 50mg (stopped 5/15), CoQ10 200mg 2x/day, L-Arginine- 1000mg 2x/day (stopped 6/5 due to cold sore!), myo-inositol- 2g 2x/day, melatonin- 3mg, and Neevo (prenatal for MTHFR).
    5/16/14 Day 2 bw cycle prior: FSH- 12.22, E2- 38.37, Prog- 1.35, LH- 9.46. 6/2/14 Day 19 bw: Prog- 23
    6/12/14 Baseline: E2- 122.7, Prog- 0.4. 5 follicles in left, 4 follicles in right. Start stims: 375IU Follistim & 150IU Menopur. 6/19 Increase Follistim to 425IU, Menopur still 150IU. 6/18 add Ganirelix. 6/23 Ovidrel trigger SQ. 6/25 ER: 8R, 8M, 5F naturally. Start Medrol & Doxy. 6/26 Start Endometrin. 7/2 Start Lovenox.
    7/8/14 Beta= 137.4 BFP!!! (My first from IVF!) E2- 1109, Prog- >60. Stop CoQ10, myo-inositol, and melatonin. 7/9 2nd Beta= 281.4. TSH- 2.70. Increasing Synthroid to 100mcg daily. 7/24 6w3d u/s measured 6w3d, hb: 121bmp! 8/5 8w1d u/s measured 8w3d, hb: 164bpm! Graduated from RE to OB. Now I just need to find an OB!
    EDD 3/18/15!

• Options
    femail said:

We were offered this test at our appointment yesterday, but turned it down. If you had the test and it was positive, would you do anything different? We wouldn't have, so it didn't make sense for us to test.

I couldn't handle the false positives!!!! Pregnancy is hard. Even harder when you think there's something wrong with your child. My DS had a cyst on his brain between 19-26 weeks in utero - it was hell! He's fine now and it's completely gone, but I can't imagine a test telling me that my child "might" have something. My sister had the test for her first and again, a false positive for DS. Obviously she opted out the second time.

Also, maybe I'm a little biased because I'm a speech pathologist that works with special needs individuals and my husband is a social worker - we know pretty much all there is to know about services.

Fall 2013: Fertility treatments = first BFP!!
    07/23/2013 Drew Steven born at 5lb 12oz

02/10/14: Surprise, spontaneous BFP!
    EDD: 10/11/2014 Stick, baby, stick!!

• Options

There was a story on NPR about a "new genetic screening" but they didn't actually name the test.  I assumed they were talking about this test though?

This is a follow up:
    https://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2014/02/26/282095202/blood-test-provides-more-accurate-prenatal-testing-for-down-syndrome

Quote: (CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TEACH ME HOW TO USE FORUM CODE TO QUOTE FROM ARTICLES?)
    "The test's "positive predictive value," which is its ability to accurately predict whether the fetus has Down syndrome, was 10 times greater than standard testing, the researchers reported (45.5 percent compared with 4.2 percent). The standard testing produced 69 false positives for Down syndrome. The test was similarly more reliable for a related condition known as Edwards syndrome."

PG#1 - 3rd cycle BFP. Team Green. HELLP syndrome @ 34 weeks.
    Later diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, possible link to HELLP.

PG#2 M/C 3/14 - Surprise BFP 2/13. Beta's doubled every 52 hours from 3w5d-5w5d
    Viable pregnancy scan at 5w5d; 2nd u/s showed 2 days of growth in 7 but a HB of 120
    3rd u/s on 3/10/14 had no HB and baby had only grown 7 days over 14
    D&C 3/17/14 - complications - DX Retroflexed uterus, multiple tears to cervix

All Welcome

Chart

• Options

Hi Megs, does your son have symbrachydactyly? Have you checked out the Lucky Fin Project? A friend of mine started it and I know a lot of parents of kids with limb differences have gained from it. Just throwing it out there! :)

Nope it's not symbrachydactyly. Just a random limb difference that doctors are unable to explain. It wasn't caused by Amniotic Band Syndrome either.

But thankfully, I'm very familiar with the Lucky Fin Project! Our whole family has a lucky fin bracelet and Molly even made a tiny little pink one for my daughter when she was born :) Thanks for mentioning it!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Nope it's not symbrachydactyly. Just a random limb difference that doctors are unable to explain. It wasn't caused by Amniotic Band Syndrome either. But thankfully, I'm very familiar with the Lucky Fin Project! Our whole family has a lucky fin bracelet and Molly even made a tiny little pink one for my daughter when she was born :) Thanks for mentioning it!
    Yay! It makes me so happy that she has touched so many people's lives in such a positive manner. I marvel at her determination. I'm so happy you found the LFP. I also wear my Lucky Fin bracelet-- in my university's colors, green and white! :)

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    My BLOG: www.ivfbabyquest.wordpress.com -Update - old blog.

PAIF/SAIF Welcome!
    Me: 42, Hubby: 35, TTC since Jan 2010. Dx: DOR due to advanced maternal age. Also: Hypothyroidism (100mcg Levothyroxin). Positive for MTHFR (hetero-C677T), Factor V Leiden, and Fragile X (on DH side). Taking pre-natal vitamins
    First natural PG 9/27/11; mc: 1/20/12

First RE visit: 8/8/12, Saline Sonogram: 8/28/12, IVF injection class: 10/11/12, add FaBB Tab for FVL, +Vitamin D.
    IVF #1: 10/17/12 Baseline: FSH- 9.4, E2- 24, LH- 3.7, Prog- 0.3 The u/s showed 6 follicles in my right  & 9 in my left. Rx: 150 Bravelle & 150 Menopur SQ nightly. 10/21/12: Add Ganirelix SQ every morning.
    ER 10/28/12: 13 Retreived. 7 Mature. 6 Fertilized. 5 Made it to PGS. ET 11/2/12: CANCELED. All 5 came back from PGS as having "severe abnormalities."
    IVF #2: 1/7/13 Baseline: FSH- 8.8, 4 follicles in my right & 6 in my left. Rx: 150 Bravelle & 150 Menopur SQ nightly. 1/11/13: Add Ganirelix SQ every morning. hCG Trigger 1/16/13

ER 1/18/13: 9 Retrieved. 5 Mature. 5 Fertilized. 2 Made it to PGS. ET 1/23/13: CANCELED. All embryos (he even sent the ones not growing) came back from PGS as having "multiple severe abnormalities."
    IVF #3:
    NEW RE! 3/1/13 Baseline: FSH- 9.6, E2- 61, Prog- 0.94, 3 follicles in my right & 4 in my left. Rx: 150 Bravelle& 150 Menopur SQ in PM. 3/7/13: Add Ganirelix SQ in AM. hCG Trigger 3/9/13 SQ.
    ER 3/11/13: 6R, 2M, 2F. Day 3: one 8 cell, grade 0.  Five day ET 3/16/13: one early blast, grade Fair. 3/24/13 AF came a day before beta. BFN

IVF #4: 
    (Added acupuncture to this cycle.) 3/25/13 WTF & Baseline: FSH-11.8, E2- 56, Prog- 0.84 3/26/13 Start stims. 3/30/13 u/s: 5 follicles in my right & 4 in my left. Rx: 225 Bravelle& 225 Menopur SQ in PM. 3/31/13 Add Ganirelix SQ in AM.hCG Trigger 4/3/13 SQ.
    ER 4/5/13: 5R, 3M, 3F naturally. Day 3: two 8 cell, grade 0, one 8 cell, grade 2 (Scale 0-best to 3-worst). Five day ET 4/10/13: two blastocysts (the 3rd stopped growing.) Beta 4/18/13: 2.5 BFFN. RE recommends we stop trying and focus on living childless, due to the extremely poor quality of my eggs.
    ***Decided to stop trying and live CFNBC. I couldn't adjust. So, six months later...

IVF #5: Changed RE. Going to one of the big name clinics now. OWDU: 10/29/13. Update: HORRIBLE experience. Disgusted and distraught at their complete unprofessionalism and how much money and precious time they cost us. Sickening. Have now changed RE again. New Patient appt. 1/30/14.
    BFP! Out of nowhere, I got KU the old fashioned way! POAS 1/26/14 - Positive! FDLM 12/30/13. Beta #1 16dpo= 373. Beta #2 18dpo= 801. EDD 10/6/14
    2/4/14 1st U/S revealed a 5wk2day sac but no fetal pole. Started 200mgs of progesterone suppositories daily
    2/11/14 2nd U/S revealed a perfect 6wk1day "diamond ring" embryo with a beating heart! 138bpm! Add 1mg folic acid and 40mg Lovenox
    2/25/14 3rd U/S: perfect 8w1d embryo, 178bpm. 3/6 start spotting. 3/11 10w1d U/S shows no heartbeat. Scheduling D&C. The Stork has forsaken me again.
    IVF #5.2: New in-state RE. Supplement priming for 1.5 cycles prior to start of cycle, including DHEA 50mg (stopped 5/15), CoQ10 200mg 2x/day, L-Arginine- 1000mg 2x/day (stopped 6/5 due to cold sore!), myo-inositol- 2g 2x/day, melatonin- 3mg, and Neevo (prenatal for MTHFR).
    5/16/14 Day 2 bw cycle prior: FSH- 12.22, E2- 38.37, Prog- 1.35, LH- 9.46. 6/2/14 Day 19 bw: Prog- 23
    6/12/14 Baseline: E2- 122.7, Prog- 0.4. 5 follicles in left, 4 follicles in right. Start stims: 375IU Follistim & 150IU Menopur. 6/19 Increase Follistim to 425IU, Menopur still 150IU. 6/18 add Ganirelix. 6/23 Ovidrel trigger SQ. 6/25 ER: 8R, 8M, 5F naturally. Start Medrol & Doxy. 6/26 Start Endometrin. 7/2 Start Lovenox.
    7/8/14 Beta= 137.4 BFP!!! (My first from IVF!) E2- 1109, Prog- >60. Stop CoQ10, myo-inositol, and melatonin. 7/9 2nd Beta= 281.4. TSH- 2.70. Increasing Synthroid to 100mcg daily. 7/24 6w3d u/s measured 6w3d, hb: 121bmp! 8/5 8w1d u/s measured 8w3d, hb: 164bpm! Graduated from RE to OB. Now I just need to find an OB!
    EDD 3/18/15!

• Options
    flyinmommyflyinmommy member
    edited March 2014
    I didn't in my first three pregnancies but the tests are better now and knowledge can be power for some and anxiety for others. It's a tough personal choice.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"