August 2014 Moms

Swelling Already...

When getting ready for the gym last night, I found that all of my yoga pants were dirty, so I pulled on a pair of capris. As I put on my shoes to go, I realized that both of  my ankles were swollen (left more so than the right). I got EXTREMELY swollen with DS (if you've seen Shallow Hal, where Gwyneth Paltrow's giant leg steps out of bed...yep, that's what my legs looked like), but I don't recall it happening this early, and he was a December baby -- so covering up my legs was perfectly normal. I'm in a bit of a panic now -- for my health (I know doctors can put you on bedrest if the swelling gets too bad) but, admittedly, mostly for vanity.

I've read that hydrating, exercising, elevating and lowering sodium intake can help. What about compression stockings? Anyone have any other good tips?

Re: Swelling Already...

• compression stockings should help! I had a blood clot in my leg after a surgery a few years ago, so I wear them often when I know I'll be at my desk all day. they really do help!
  • My doctor told me it wasn't abnormal to already be experiencing lines from socks. Not sure about severe swelling. But talk to your doctor about it. Elevate and hydrate!
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes to all the things you listed to help. Mine have started to swell some too and I find exercise is helping and increasing water intake.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  •  

stoofewok said:
    I've had issues with swelling due to my kidney problems for more than a decade. The things I've found to help are walking (which I wish I could do outside, but am bound to a treadmill until it decides to warm up here in WI...), drinking a LOT of water and (decaf) tea, and elevating in the evenings. Honestly, decreasing sodium has never been something I really found helped because I drink so much water as it is that I think I flush out any extra salt my body doesn't need pretty easily. Plus, I have more of a sweet tooth than salty anyway.

I'm in Wisco too (SE)! Maybe summer will never get here, so I won't have to worry about exposing my ugly ankles! Sure seems that way these days...

Downing my first bottle of water now with my legs on a box under my desk!! I will defeat the swell!!

• My feet are already swelling. They did this last time, too. I'm just telling myself I have to deal with it until baby gets here. After I had DS, I remember literally saying to my husband, "Look how thin my feet are! Were they this thin before?!"
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• chickinNH said:

. I'm in a bit of a panic now -- for my health (I know doctors can put you on bedrest if the swelling gets too bad) but, admittedly, mostly for vanity.

So you are more concerned about the way it looks than about having adverse health effects from it? 

Okay.

Yes...that's pretty much what I said. Does it really matter though? If I'm addressing the issue because I don't like looking at my cankles, I'm still addressing the issue.

@stoofewok we're neighbors (kinda) I work in Tosa, live in Racine.

• My feet are already swelling. They did this last time, too. I'm just telling myself I have to deal with it until baby gets here. After I had DS, I remember literally saying to my husband, "Look how thin my feet are! Were they this thin before?!"
    Me too!!! I said, "Oooohhh...my ankle bones are back!" LOL

I am already swelling too, but my bp is wonderful (I work at a school so the school nurse checks it for me) and it goes down every night. I think it is because I am on my feet all day. I bought a small fold up stepstool to put under the table that I teach at most of the time. I am going to try putting my feet up on that when I can to see if it will help. I also just figure it is going to happen since my ankles were awful with dd. Oh well....as long as my health is ok, I will put up with it.

• So far my bp has been in check, too. I had H check it yesterday after I noticed the swelling. I drank a lot of water yesterday and that seemed to help
  • Oh, yeah, and my BP is amazing when I'm pregnant, so thankfully that's not a concern. I think it was Iike 110/65 at my last appointment.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"