October 2014 Moms

PSA: Could of is not a thing.

2»

Re: PSA: Could of is not a thing.

• Then and than. I go crazy seeing these misused!

Pregnancy Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

• Preach it, sisters!

Seriously.  I hate when people over correct and use "I" in place of "me" all the time, for example "He gave it to Shelly and I."  "Me" is a perfectly good word and is the correct choice sometimes!

This! My best friend only uses "I" and it drives me nuts. I told her she was using the incorrect subject one day and she attributed it to what her brother had thought her. Well, your brother is wrong. I couldn't reason with her, even after explaining that my grandmother, mother, and sister were all English majors and probably know better than her brother. If you drop the other subject and the "I" doesn't make sense then you're using the wrong one! 10 years later and she still uses "I" exclusively... and no, it doesn't make you sound proper.

Although not a grammatical issue, I can't stand the word WHELP. Is it an interjection or are you going to give birth to a puppy before you continue your thought?

• Loading the player...
  • Admittedly I didn't read through all of these but I agree with all that I have seen thus far. Another one that bothers me that my BIL is guilty of is the improper use of "myself". For example, he will say "Dad and myself are going to the game." "Mom and myself picked up the suits". He is always mass texting these types of statements and next time I am going to go off!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

4 losses- MC in 2006, MMC in February 2012 at 12 weeks and MMC (twins) August 2016 at 12 weeks. Pregnant again- 11/7/16. Another loss on December 28, 2016.

BFP April 23, 2017.  Our triple rainbow baby! EDD: January 2, 2018. It's a boy!
  • --snip--
    -When people use quotation marks (especially on signs) for emphasis. I see this all the time! For all you grammar nerds, there's a hilarious blog on this very thing: https://www.unnecessaryquotes.com/

Crap, I'm totally guilty of the quotes.  I do it all the time.  I also way overuse ... 

I apologize in advance

:-S
    Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

• Let me learn you something.

No. Just no. This is so painfully common around here.
    Son: Jackson, 11/02/06, stillborn due to PPROM and IUGR. Over the next ten years we had 9 miscarriages from 8-14 weeks. On May 18, 2016 my daughter, Ridley, was born. We're OADNBC.
  • EllyD14 said:

Ex-specially. What the hell is that?

I also hate, "a whole nother..." Nother is not a word.

YES!  I had a coworker that did this and it drives me insane. 

This is the only one that doesn't bother me. It's called and infix or integrated adjective. Very common in English (same as abso-fucking-lately). Most just used for emphasis.

Dang, I wonder if that's the only thing I remember from my undergrad degree in linguistics? Lol.

Fall 2013: Fertility treatments = first BFP!!
    07/23/2013 Drew Steven born at 5lb 12oz

02/10/14: Surprise, spontaneous BFP!
    EDD: 10/11/2014 Stick, baby, stick!!

• Maybe I'm just hormonal, but I wanted to throw my hot tea through my monitor in reading some of these posts because some of these things really grate on my nerves.

• I have two..

"Ima" instead of "I'm going to." I mostly see this in text or chat, but it just makes me cringe. 

And this one is new, yet I hear intelligent people say it all the time, and I don't understand it...here we go.... 

What it should be - "I've been going to jazz class since I was 12"
    What the new "cool" way to say it is - I've been going to jazz class since I'm 12." 

I have heard talk show hosts say this, news reporters, and it's just WRONG!!! 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• One that really bugs me because I see it in a lot of images and even a username on here is when people use hay instead of hey. 

They are very very different things.
    Son: Jackson, 11/02/06, stillborn due to PPROM and IUGR. Over the next ten years we had 9 miscarriages from 8-14 weeks. On May 18, 2016 my daughter, Ridley, was born. We're OADNBC.
  • I teach middle school Language Arts...what doesn't piss me off grammatically? HAHA

No, one of my biggest pet peeves is writing using text acronyms. R u ok w/this? Grrr...on a formal essay?! I ALSO HATE WHEN PEOPLE TYPE IN ALL CAPS.

• 1. "Awe" instead of "aww" - sorry, are you in awe, or is something totally cute? (I guess it could be both, but...)

2. "To" instead of "too." ARGH!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • I hate when people say "You can't have your cake and eat it too" because, yes, you CAN have your cake and eat it too. The proper phrase is "You can't eat your cake and have it too."
    photo DSC_7607-Version2_zps4129cb9d.jpg funny gifs

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• vrj0522 said:
    This is more spelling but I hate it when people mix up breathe and breath. It seems getting it right is more the exception than the rule. 

Ha! Terrible story about that...I got a tattoo on my wrist and came home to show DH. I was like "Look, it says breathe!" and he's like, "No, it says breath. Breathe has an "e" on the end." I had to go back and get it fixed. I was so embarrassed because not only did I sign off on the spelling, I had about 4 friends with me and NO ONE noticed. Now my tattoo is off center but I guess I deserve it!
    photo DSC_7607-Version2_zps4129cb9d.jpg funny gifs

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• I HATE double negatives, incorrect use of your/you're, their/they're/there, and two/to/too. Really a lot of errors get under my skin. I am a speech language pathologist and incorrect pronunciation of words are just as bad. My MIL says "fustrated" instead of "frustrated", and the word comes up a lot! Haha

• squeenut said:
    Using "Ya" instead of "Yeah" as a response. Why do I know so many people that do this??? 
    I seem to know a lot of people who write "yeah" when they mean "yay." When someone writes "yeah, that's great," it conveys a completely different meaning to me than "yay, that's great."
  • MrsL2B said:
    squeenut said:
    Using "Ya" instead of "Yeah" as a response. Why do I know so many people that do this??? 
    I seem to know a lot of people who write "yeah" when they mean "yay." When someone writes "yeah, that's great," it conveys a completely different meaning to me than "yay, that's great."
    My sister does this, but she doesn't use the h in yeah.  It drives me mad.  I correct her every time and she just says I care too much.  No, I care at all and clearly she doesn't. 
  • People spell ridiculous wrong all the time... As rediculous. Ahhh.

I did medical mission work in Haiti and MIL always pluralizes it and calls it Haitis. Drives me bonkers. She also calls Costco "Costcas."

BabyFruit Ticker
    imageimage

Winston is ready to have a little sister!

• Drive safe!
    Argh!

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    My BLOG: www.ivfbabyquest.wordpress.com -Update - old blog.

PAIF/SAIF Welcome!
    Me: 42, Hubby: 35, TTC since Jan 2010. Dx: DOR due to advanced maternal age. Also: Hypothyroidism (100mcg Levothyroxin). Positive for MTHFR (hetero-C677T), Factor V Leiden, and Fragile X (on DH side). Taking pre-natal vitamins
    First natural PG 9/27/11; mc: 1/20/12

First RE visit: 8/8/12, Saline Sonogram: 8/28/12, IVF injection class: 10/11/12, add FaBB Tab for FVL, +Vitamin D.
    IVF #1: 10/17/12 Baseline: FSH- 9.4, E2- 24, LH- 3.7, Prog- 0.3 The u/s showed 6 follicles in my right  & 9 in my left. Rx: 150 Bravelle & 150 Menopur SQ nightly. 10/21/12: Add Ganirelix SQ every morning.
    ER 10/28/12: 13 Retreived. 7 Mature. 6 Fertilized. 5 Made it to PGS. ET 11/2/12: CANCELED. All 5 came back from PGS as having "severe abnormalities."
    IVF #2: 1/7/13 Baseline: FSH- 8.8, 4 follicles in my right & 6 in my left. Rx: 150 Bravelle & 150 Menopur SQ nightly. 1/11/13: Add Ganirelix SQ every morning. hCG Trigger 1/16/13

ER 1/18/13: 9 Retrieved. 5 Mature. 5 Fertilized. 2 Made it to PGS. ET 1/23/13: CANCELED. All embryos (he even sent the ones not growing) came back from PGS as having "multiple severe abnormalities."
    IVF #3:
    NEW RE! 3/1/13 Baseline: FSH- 9.6, E2- 61, Prog- 0.94, 3 follicles in my right & 4 in my left. Rx: 150 Bravelle& 150 Menopur SQ in PM. 3/7/13: Add Ganirelix SQ in AM. hCG Trigger 3/9/13 SQ.
    ER 3/11/13: 6R, 2M, 2F. Day 3: one 8 cell, grade 0.  Five day ET 3/16/13: one early blast, grade Fair. 3/24/13 AF came a day before beta. BFN

IVF #4: 
    (Added acupuncture to this cycle.) 3/25/13 WTF & Baseline: FSH-11.8, E2- 56, Prog- 0.84 3/26/13 Start stims. 3/30/13 u/s: 5 follicles in my right & 4 in my left. Rx: 225 Bravelle& 225 Menopur SQ in PM. 3/31/13 Add Ganirelix SQ in AM.hCG Trigger 4/3/13 SQ.
    ER 4/5/13: 5R, 3M, 3F naturally. Day 3: two 8 cell, grade 0, one 8 cell, grade 2 (Scale 0-best to 3-worst). Five day ET 4/10/13: two blastocysts (the 3rd stopped growing.) Beta 4/18/13: 2.5 BFFN. RE recommends we stop trying and focus on living childless, due to the extremely poor quality of my eggs.
    ***Decided to stop trying and live CFNBC. I couldn't adjust. So, six months later...

IVF #5: Changed RE. Going to one of the big name clinics now. OWDU: 10/29/13. Update: HORRIBLE experience. Disgusted and distraught at their complete unprofessionalism and how much money and precious time they cost us. Sickening. Have now changed RE again. New Patient appt. 1/30/14.
    BFP! Out of nowhere, I got KU the old fashioned way! POAS 1/26/14 - Positive! FDLM 12/30/13. Beta #1 16dpo= 373. Beta #2 18dpo= 801. EDD 10/6/14
    2/4/14 1st U/S revealed a 5wk2day sac but no fetal pole. Started 200mgs of progesterone suppositories daily
    2/11/14 2nd U/S revealed a perfect 6wk1day "diamond ring" embryo with a beating heart! 138bpm! Add 1mg folic acid and 40mg Lovenox
    2/25/14 3rd U/S: perfect 8w1d embryo, 178bpm. 3/6 start spotting. 3/11 10w1d U/S shows no heartbeat. Scheduling D&C. The Stork has forsaken me again.
    IVF #5.2: New in-state RE. Supplement priming for 1.5 cycles prior to start of cycle, including DHEA 50mg (stopped 5/15), CoQ10 200mg 2x/day, L-Arginine- 1000mg 2x/day (stopped 6/5 due to cold sore!), myo-inositol- 2g 2x/day, melatonin- 3mg, and Neevo (prenatal for MTHFR).
    5/16/14 Day 2 bw cycle prior: FSH- 12.22, E2- 38.37, Prog- 1.35, LH- 9.46. 6/2/14 Day 19 bw: Prog- 23
    6/12/14 Baseline: E2- 122.7, Prog- 0.4. 5 follicles in left, 4 follicles in right. Start stims: 375IU Follistim & 150IU Menopur. 6/19 Increase Follistim to 425IU, Menopur still 150IU. 6/18 add Ganirelix. 6/23 Ovidrel trigger SQ. 6/25 ER: 8R, 8M, 5F naturally. Start Medrol & Doxy. 6/26 Start Endometrin. 7/2 Start Lovenox.
    7/8/14 Beta= 137.4 BFP!!! (My first from IVF!) E2- 1109, Prog- >60. Stop CoQ10, myo-inositol, and melatonin. 7/9 2nd Beta= 281.4. TSH- 2.70. Increasing Synthroid to 100mcg daily. 7/24 6w3d u/s measured 6w3d, hb: 121bmp! 8/5 8w1d u/s measured 8w3d, hb: 164bpm! Graduated from RE to OB. Now I just need to find an OB!
    EDD 3/18/15!

• savagek7 said:
    I did not "ax" you a question.  I asked you.
    Fun fact that I learned last year, some African American people literally CANNOT pronounce "ask" without it coming out as "ax". I have a family friend who had an African American teenager living with them, and they tried to get him to pronounce it correctly, and he physically could not no matter how hard he tried. That being said, it drives me crazy, too!
    I really doubt it has to do with race.  Correlation =/= causation.
  • I have a friend who says "Valentimes Day" and "liberry". It drives me crazy! I also despise totes. What is so hard about saying totally???

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

BFP#1: 11/20/11, EDD 7/25/12, Emily Iris arrived 7/29/12 at 7 lb., 3.5 oz.

BFP#2: 8/25/13, EDD 5/4/14, MMC confirmed on 9/23/13, D&C on 9/26/13

BFP#3: 2/3/14, EDD 10/15/14, fraternal TWINS confirmed 2/21/14, two BOYS confirmed on 4/15/14!

• DubsgirlieDubsgirlie member
    edited March 2014
    squeenut said:

Using "Ya" instead of "Yeah" as a response. Why do I know so many people that do this??? Also, regional slang words that just sound dumb: crick for creek. Ky-dotee for coyote. Cashuh for cache. Perch-er-ony for Percheron. OMG, I cant keep going. 

These aren't slang just dialectal/regional differences.

• I am clearly the only person who enjoys these mishaps. I studied Linguistics and would like to consider myself a descriptivist. When someone uses grammar in a way that is not 'correct,' it can tell me about the area he is from, educational background, and even social groups. As a teacher, I do enforce the correct usages, but as a person it doesn't bother me.

EXCEPT that my MIL uses 'him' in the nominative. "Him so cute." She does it as part of her baby talk, and not because of how she grew up speaking. The reason it bothers me so much is that DD was talking like that and writing it on her school papers until she was 8 because she thought it was correct.

I got my BA in Linguistics! I don't meet many other linguists! And I'm with you - much more of a descriptist. This thread is starting to drive me nuts because a lot of posts are mocking dialectal differences - NOT the same as grammatical errors!!!

• EllyD14 said:

savagek7 said:

I did not "ax" you a question.  I asked you.

Fun fact that I learned last year, some African American people literally CANNOT pronounce "ask" without it coming out as "ax". I have a family friend who had an African American teenager living with them, and they tried to get him to pronounce it correctly, and he physically could not no matter how hard he tried.
    That being said, it drives me crazy, too!

I really doubt it has to do with race.  Correlation =/= causation.
    This.

Most Japanese people cannot tell the difference between "l" and "r". This is because English uses different phonemes than Japanese, and the brain loses the ability to pronounce phonemes if not exposed within the first few years of life - there are many other phonemes in Japanese that most of us would never be able to say correctly, either. It has nothing to do with race. If you expose a Japanese baby to English from birth (or, actually, just 10 hours of native speaking during some particular developmental window), he or she will have no problems with "l" and "r" later.

I'm guessing the kid was just never exposed to the sound during the important developmental window.

Actually, "Ask" and "ax" have the exact same sounds. It's not about being exposed to different sounds, it's just a different pattern in African American Vernacular English.

• When people say/write "use to" instead of "used to".
    CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
    O14 January Signature Challenge: Snow Fails
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"