October 2013 Moms

CDing - wool at night?

I'm finally ready to take the plunge from sposies at night and I've found some good wool covers on etsy but I'm getting nervous about making the investment. LO is a pretty heavy wetter at night, rarely poos but hates to be changed in the MOTN so I need it to last 10-12 hours. Also a little intimidated by the lanolizing process. Any advice? Should I make the leap into wool? TIA!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: CDing - wool at night?

• Wool scares me too. I have a pair of wool pants and I have yet to even try them. The feel of them drives me crazy, so I can't imagine the baby liking then either.

DD#1~Emma Dawn 12/19/00 7lb 10 oz 21"
    DD#2~Daphney Mae 04/17/03 7lb 13oz 21"
    DD#3~Grace Deonea 05/20/10 8lb 2oz 21"
        DS#1~Brody Maxwell born 10/16/13 8lb 10oz 21"

• I just keep DS in his BG 4.0.  He's a heavy wetter and we've had no problems with it at night.  As he gets older, I plan to just put one of my Green Mountain prefold in it for extra absorbency.  I'm with @Hfrizzle, wool scares me.
    photo 2465-1_zps83b1ff09.jpg
    Married 6/26/10  TTC 1/13  BFP 1/31/13   Wills born 10/9/13
  • Loading the player...
  • Right now I'm double stuffing rumparooz with bamboo inserts, and she goes 12 hours in that. I have fitteds (ecoposh) and covers for after she really starts peeing more. I also wasn't terribly excited about wool, so I chose regular covers instead. Some people on the CD board swear by the Twinkie Tush Nightie Nights. I think those are still fitteds, so you'd still need a cover--wool or otherwise.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic   image
  • Hmm maybe I'll try my Alva baby covers with bamboo inserts tripled up and go from there. I don't know why I was convinced that wouldn't work. I'm also worried she'll be uncomfortable with the bulkiness and wetness since the sposies really wick it away. I guess I need to just give it a try. Thanks for the help!
  • calibr8tecalibr8te member
    edited February 2014
    Let wooly wooly momma tell you how amazing wool is! 

I find the best ones for night time are the Disana soakers. They are a knit wool cover (vs an upcycled cover which can be a bit bulkier). Put your night time diaper of choice and then this on top. I find that a fleece sleeper over top is best, but if you are in a warm climate you can go without. 

The trick to your wool cover is to get a good wool wash and lanolin. To wash your covers and lanolize them: 

Step 1: fill bucket with lukewarm/cool water and add a small amount of wool wash. Soak your covers in them for about 15 minutes. Do not rinse them or squeeze them out. 

Step 2: Take a small jar and put a dab of lanolin in with hot hot water. Shake it up, pour that with a bit of wool wash into your bucket (filling with fresh lukewarm/cool water). Soak your cover for 20 minutes, then turn over the cover and let the other side soak for 20  minutes. 

Step 3: Lay cover flat into a towel, and roll up the towel. Press on the towel, or step on it to wring out the water. This is the only way you should be wringing out your wool so as not to destroy the fibres. 

Step 4: Lay flat to dry away from direct sunlight.

You only need to wash them every few weeks unless they get poop on them. Urine actually saponifies on wool for some reason, so as long as you make sure you dry it out after each use, you are good to go.

I LOVE wool and have converted to full time wool cover use. LO is super sensitive and prone to diaper rash in the PUL covers, and the wool allows his bum to breathe. 

eta: @crunchymama11: jinx lol

• Wool isn't scratchy at all! I have a Disana and a kissas cover. I had to lanolize twice to really get it (user error) but it's seriously just like hand washing with lanolin in the water, and with no scrubbing. Let it sit in the lanolin water, then dry it out!
  • My only worry was the wetness of a fitted ON. I wouldn't wanna sit in a wet diaper. It'd get cold I would think. So I put a stay dry doubler in it, and it's great! I have to forego it if I do the Merlin sleep suit though. Too bulky I think
  • We use a (homemade) fleece cover as an alternative to wool. We double stuff her regular diapers with cbi and use the fleece on top. With my little guy we are still on single stuffed cbi.

• @Heather6789:  There are fitted overnight diapers that work really well. You will definitely have to to put a doubler in there. I am currently using the Sandy's fitteds with a doubler and then my wool cover on top for overnight. The nice thing about the wool is that it helps the wetness evaporate away from baby. 

Are they bulky? Hell yea, he looks like this:

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"