Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Not enough dairy?

Ds drinks 4 oz of milk in the morning and 4 oz before bed, they is if were lucky that he drinks that. Most days he won't drink milk at all. He's not into cheese or eggs. He'll eat yogurt every once and awhile but normally it's a no go. I'm wondering what to give him that might give him the dairy he needs.

Re: Not enough dairy?

• HennessyHennessy member
    edited February 2014
    We have a similar problem with DS in that he drinks very little milk.  He will ONLY have it in the morning and not one other time throughout the day.

He does however like cheese and cheese products as well as yogurt so we wind up getting him dairy in other forms.

When you say your DS isn't into cheese.. is this in every form?  We do a lot of grilled cheese, quesadillas, ravioli, tortellini, mac & cheese,  I even make chicken dinners baked with melted cheese.  I would try to incorporate different cheeses into different meals and you might see more success?  Also try a variety of cheeses: american, cheddar, swiss, jack etc...

Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My Relationship Humor Blog: The Hubby Diaries
  • i'd focus on healthy fats like pp mentioned and calcium rich foods veggies like spinach, broccoli etc

• Loading the player...
  • DS doesn't drink much WCM either. He has stopped eating yogurt (he was eating it daily from 6-12m then just refused the spoon, and refused to self-feed yogurt either). He also doesn't eat cheese as-is. I can get him to eat melted cheese on toast or if cooked into other foods, but you can't get that much cheese when it's offered that way (say, vs a piece or 2 of string cheese).

Well, I finally found a solution - he LOVES fruit smoothies.  So every day I make him one for snack. I put in anywhere between 1/2C - 1/3C of fruit (I change it around so he doesn't expect the same flavor), then I add in 1/3C WCM and 1/3C full fat plain yogurt.  Sometimes I add in a little bit of almond butter too depending on the fruits.   It usually comes out to 8-10 fluid oz total and he downs it most of it in 1 setting.  Sometimes we get maybe 2-3oz leftover and I offer it to him after dinner (he gets WCM at dinner).
    TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • How old is your son, Jordy? Is he getting any breastmilk or formula still, or have you dropped off to only WCM?
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • ah625 said:

How old is your son, Jordy? Is he getting any breastmilk or formula still, or have you dropped off to only WCM?

He's 14 months. He's fully on wcm. He's been good with drinking it up until recently
  • JackiemxoxoJackiemxoxo member
    edited February 2014
    I agree with the pp that it is more important to focus on healthy fats. Healthy fats are important for brain development and that is why they recommend WCM versus 2%. Dairy is an easy way to get fats in but there are other sources as well if lo is on a dairy hiatus. 

ETA- maybe try creamy pastas (fettuccine Alfredo, avocado pasta, buttered noodles, etc).

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Will your LO drink OJ? We do the Simply Juice that is fortified with calcium. DD drinks it gladly every morning. Will your LO drink a milk sub? DD won't drink cow's milk (she had a dairy allergy she outgrew but is still sensitive) so we do almond milk. It has more calcium than cow's milk.
    I think the recommendation of smoothies is a good one. Will your LO do grilled cheese or cheese on sandwiches? What about cheese, cracker and lunch meat "sandwiches". DD will eat almost anything if we put it on a cracker.
    imageimage
  • Another thought would be pizza or english muffin "pizzas" with pizza sauce, cheese and whatever veggie/meat combos your LO will eat. We also do tacos, quesadillas, burritos, breakfast burritos and throw some shredded cheese in to sneak some extra calcium and fat into DD's diet.
    imageimage
  • DD had to be dairy free until 18 months because of food intolerance.  She ate tons of other healthy foods, as suggested by PPs.  When I introduced dairy, she was not keen on it, probably because it was foreign.  She first started off liking only shredded cheese.  After a few weeks, she tried other forms of cheese, foods with cheese, etc.  Now, she loves cheese, but she still doesn't drink milk or eat yogurt.  Your LO is only 14 months, keep offering new foods and ones he's rejected previously.  It takes time to learn to like food.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Would he drink a little more milk in the afternoon, maybe another 4 oz. if you offer it?

I would try mixing different things into the yogurt, you can make so many flavors that you might hit on something he loves. You can also put some in a ziplock, snip the corner and squeeze little yogurt "drops" onto a cookie sheet and freeze. My kids have always loves those, it's almost like little ice cream drops.

Eggs really aren't dairy so I wouldn't worry about those (they are a great thing for them to eat and very nutritious, but wouldn't count toward dairy).

Also, cream cheese spread on toast or a bagel or even crackers.
    DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • Cottage cheese with pureed fruit, cream cheese on bagels, tofu and some cereals have added calcium, add milk to soups, etc.  I heard people will sometimes add dry milk to baked goods and in cooking to boost the calcium.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"