March 2014 Moms
Options

Flat on your back

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone else had any experience here. I know it's been discussed at length not to lay on your back while preggo for fear of compressing vessels. When I sleep in bed I'm always conscious of how I'm laying and try to always stay on my side. Twice now when on the couch, kind of on my back and kind of propped up I got very hot and flushed and felt like my BP was elevated. As soon as I got up and walked around I felt much better. I was just wondering for any of you out there what kind of symptoms you had gotten from lying on your back. I always thought it was lightheadedness from LOW BP but maybe I'm wrong.

Re: Flat on your back

• Options
    I feel squished, and like I can't breath, sometimes dizzy or neauseated... and when I try and get up alone, like a flailing hippo... (seriously)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I used to feel kind of out of breath and kind of weird, not very helpful, maybe a bit lightheaded. I have recently been waking up on my back and it feels awesome!!!! Like I can sleep forever...but I've no idea how long I have been like that. So because I know it is bad I flip over on my side, but I feel fine.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I could sleep a few hours on my back up until 35 weeks or so with no symptoms.  Now it's just too uncomfortable.
  • Options
    I have been trying to sleep on my side, but one day I woke up on my back totally short of breath and with a racing heartbeat. Will be so happy when I can sleep on my back again!
  • Options
    Your uterus presses on a major vein when you lay on your back.. That is the reason for the lightheadedness.. It's cutting off blood flow.
  • Options
    Recently, I accidentally fell asleep on my back while lying on the couch. I woke up cross-eyed and dizzy. I was a little scared -- not a great feeling!
  • Options
    I've gotten lightheaded and dizzy during my last three ultrasounds because they had me on my back for so long, as soon as I sat up I felt better.
  • Options
    Ummm this is why they tell you that you're not supposed to lay on your back when you're pregnancy--particularly this close to the end.  The weight of your uterus and its contents puts too much pressure on your major veins in your back and restricts blood flow.  Easy solution?  Don't lay on your back if it makes you uncomfortable.
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   image

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Kari~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    Every ultra sound after only 2-3 minutes I start to sweat and my hearing and vision start to fade out . Feels like I am going to pass out. I have to sit up at least twice per ultrasound. Crazy how fast it can come on
  • Options
    I will wake up on my back and feel fine but know I shouldn't be that way so I turn to my side. My dr explained it as follows: there are 2 main arteries that run down either side of your spine. The left side is a "high pressure" one so laying on your left side is fine bc it can still pump just fine and as long as you are completely on your left side then it isn't getting squished at all. The right side is a "low pressure" so it's harder for it to pump. If you lay on your back then both get squished. Left side will still work ok but the right side doesn't so that's why you feel weird and then symptoms go away when you get up. You can still lay on your right side as long as you are completely on your side so the artery isn't being squished. If I am laying slightly to my right then I get a lot of numbing in my right leg and arm. But once I move then it's fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"