Breastfeeding

APNO to prevent thrush?

I'm on my 2nd round of antibiotics for mastitis, after having a needle aspiration done almost a week ago. I'm taking a probiotic, but I'm so paranoid about getting thrush, since I got it with my first and it was a nightmare! It occurred to me, I have APNO from early on when my nipples were sore, could I use it short-term until I'm done with the antibiotic to prevent thrush? Or any other suggestions on things to do to prevent me from getting thrush? I just put coconut oil on my nips. Haven't yet had a chance to call my Dr to ask about the APNO. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this?

Re: APNO to prevent thrush?

• You and I have been exchanging messages on the boards about our abscesses this past week. I agree on being a bit paranoid about Thrush. I had Mastitis in January and never developed Thrush and so far haven't gotten Thrush this round of Mastitis either. I'm on APNO for awhile that was prescribed due to DD chewing my nipple raw (which explains why I'm probably prone to Mastitis) and trying to get that nipple to heal. I'll ask my sister your question and let you know what she says--my sister is a Midwife and she is the one who prescribed the APNO for me. Be advised though that the APNO expires about 5 weeks from the date it was made--at least that is what the Pharmacist told me. So you may want to ask your doctor about getting another batch made.

If you're paranoid enough then I agree with PP to put baby on Probiotic. We are using Gerber Soothe Colic Drops which is available at Walgreens in the baby aisle for about $25-30. It says "Probiotic" in the lower left corner of the box. It's a tiny bottle so it's annoying how expensive it is. I'm not on a Probiotic vitamin, but I'm drinking Kefir (the yogurt drink) everyday as I was told that it would be just as effective as taking a probiotic pill. Have you had Kefir? So yummy!

TTC since April 2011. DH Dx MFI in February 2012. BFP #1: 7.16.12. MMC dx: 8.22.12, D&C 8.28.12, TTC Again November 2012. DH Varicocele repair November 2012; Repeat SA showed "dramatic" improvement February 2013 (awesome!)
    BFP #2: 3.26.13, EDC: 12.7.13. Anya born December 9th, 2013!
  • I asked my sister and she said APNO can help prevent Thrush.

TTC since April 2011. DH Dx MFI in February 2012. BFP #1: 7.16.12. MMC dx: 8.22.12, D&C 8.28.12, TTC Again November 2012. DH Varicocele repair November 2012; Repeat SA showed "dramatic" improvement February 2013 (awesome!)
  • Loading the player...
  • Other things you might try:
    Garlic Pills or Raw Garlic
    Echinacea 
    Drinking Green Tea
    Grapefruit Seed Extract (either oral or making a solution to rinse your nipples)
    Putting vinegar in the rinse cycle with your bras
  • You and I have been exchanging messages on the boards about our abscesses this past week. I agree on being a bit paranoid about Thrush. I had Mastitis in January and never developed Thrush and so far haven't gotten Thrush this round of Mastitis either. I'm on APNO for awhile that was prescribed due to DD chewing my nipple raw (which explains why I'm probably prone to Mastitis) and trying to get that nipple to heal. I'll ask my sister your question and let you know what she says--my sister is a Midwife and she is the one who prescribed the APNO for me. Be advised though that the APNO expires about 5 weeks from the date it was made--at least that is what the Pharmacist told me. So you may want to ask your doctor about getting another batch made.

If you're paranoid enough then I agree with PP to put baby on Probiotic. We are using Gerber Soothe Colic Drops which is available at Walgreens in the baby aisle for about $25-30. It says "Probiotic" in the lower left corner of the box. It's a tiny bottle so it's annoying how expensive it is. I'm not on a Probiotic vitamin, but I'm drinking Kefir (the yogurt drink) everyday as I was told that it would be just as effective as taking a probiotic pill. Have you had Kefir? So yummy!

Ah, I guess my jar is long expired then! Great other ideas, thanks everyone! :)

@eggmankate You were interested in ultrasound, right? Any luck finding someone to do it?
  • Oh shoot, I forgot to ask the Midwife about it yesterday. I was going to ask her what she thought about it first since there is abscess in the way that is healing. I'll let you know.

• kujess1kujess1 member
    edited March 2014
    Oh, I don't think I had realized it's actually an abscess you were wanting to ultrasound. I haven't read anything about its use for abscesses, but more for plugged ducts. If you're prone to plugged ducts like me, you might look into a clinic that does ultrasound, just so you have that info. Then if you get a stubborn one, you can get in and try to get it taken care of quickly before it turns into mastitis. The Dr Newman website says 2 treatments should help (2 days in a row), and if the 2 don't help, it's not going to work for you so it's pointless to do more treatments. 

• kujess1 said:
    Oh, I don't think I had realized it's actually an abscess you were wanting to ultrasound. I haven't read anything about its use for abscesses, but more for plugged ducts. If you're prone to plugged ducts like me, you might look into a clinic that does ultrasound, just so you have that info. Then if you get a stubborn one, you can get in and try to get it taken care of quickly before it turns into mastitis. The Dr Newman website says 2 treatments should help (2 days in a row), and if the 2 don't help, it's not going to work for you so it's pointless to do more treatments. 

Your thought process is correct. I just meant that nothing is going to get the plugged ducts out until the abscess is cleared. So yeah, I do want to consider it, but not sure at what point I can because I need the abscess to clear out first (maybe it has). I'm going to talk to Midwife tomorrow when clinic opens and see what her thoughts are. I'll let you know!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"