March 2014 Moms
Options

Anyone familiar with FMLA?

I live in PA and my employer does offer FMLA for up to 12 weeks.  I reviewed the paperwork and it appears that my doctor determines how long I get FMLA for.  My HR person told me to have him document the full 12 weeks.  But I just found out today that he won't sign off on any more than 6 weeks for a vaginal delivery and 8 for CS.  Has anyone else encountered this or are most docs willing to sign off on 12 weeks?  This is an unpaid leave (which I understand) so I don't get why my doc cares - it's not like I'm asking him to sign off on getting short term disability for longer than necessary.  I thought part of the reason for FMLA was for the birth and care of a child.  Does anyone know of any way to get around this or if there is something else I should be saying to him?  TIA for any help you can provide.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker      

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Anyone familiar with FMLA?

• Options
    Maybe your doc is thinking it's short term disability? I'd def ask for clarification as to why he'll only approve 6-8wks. Good luck!

• Options
    Yeah the Fmla duration shouldn't be determined by the doctor, just short term disability- 6 weeks is standard for a vaginal delivery.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am in PA (Philadelphia) My OB's office asks for the paperwork for your employer and the amount of time you want to take off and fills out the paperwork accordingly.

I know for STD vaginal its 6 weeks, and 8 weeks c-section but I was still able to get the Dr. to sign off on 12 weeks with no issue. Maybe ask why?
    imageimageimage
    BabyFruit Ticker

Anniversary
  • Options
    Thank you for your feedback ladies.  I don't get why he's being so difficult about this.  I'm an emotional mess in general right now and this isn't helping  - so I appreciate your responses and help.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    FMLA allows 12 weeks for birth and bonding - birth and bonding is different than other medial leaves and it's up to you. Your doctor will only do 6 weeks for delivery (8 CS) for disability pay or even salary continuation. Your HR department should understand that birth and bonding is your choice, not the doctors. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Your OB signs off 6 weeks for vaginal delivery or 8 weeks for c section.  Regardless of how you deliver, you can take up to 12 weeks off with your job protected by FMLA.  You make the decision on those 12 weeks, not your OB.
  • Options
    I'm also in pa. I was told the dr signs off on the std portion even if std isn't available (ie, 6 weeks vaginal, 8 weeks c/s) then HR handles documenting the remaining 4-6 weeks based on company policy. So if it's that you use sick and vaca days after std then unpaid, they handle that, not the dr.
  • Options
    My OB had no say so in the length of my FMLA, they just had to verify my pregnancy
  • Options
    fish8412 said:

Your OB signs off 6 weeks for vaginal delivery or 8 weeks for c section.  Regardless of how you deliver, you can take up to 12 weeks off with your job protected by FMLA.  You make the decision on those 12 weeks, not your OB.

This
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"