Breastfeeding

Scalding question.

I've gotten great advice from this board about my excess lipase problem, and I have another question. I have been scalding my milk before freezing or refrigerating, but have not really been able to find any guidelines online as far as cooling before storing goes. I have just been heating on the stovetop and then removing from the burner for and leaving it at room temp for 15 minutes or so and then putting it straight in the fridge. Is this okay?

Seems to be working so far, but the reason I am asking is, I heated like 20 oz last night and after taking it off the heat before i bottled it and put it away, baby woke and I was called to duty and fell asleep for about 3 hours after feeding him... Is that milk okay or should I toss it? Usually, Id just err on the side of caution and throw it out, but it was a significant amount and it was alllll the milk I pumped yesterday and I need it for tomorrow's bottles.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>

Re: Scalding question.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • What's the reason for scalding the milk? I've never heard of this before.
  • Loading the player...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I guess it's a somewhat common issue, but not everyone's milk requires this. I have an excess of a particular enzyme that begins breaking down the fats in the milk over time. It makes the milk I've expressed taste odd (most people call it a "soapy" taste, i guess that describes it) and my baby won't accept it. The scalding "deactivates" the enzyme somehow.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>

• kmc84kmc84 member
    edited March 2014
    Everything I read about scalding said to cool as fast as possible after scalding. I always put it in an ice bath after scalding and in 5-10 minutes it was as cold or colder than the fridge, so I transferred it then.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TTC# 1 since 5/10
    Me:34 Type 1 Diabetes, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Hypothyroid DH:35 Perfect
    DX: Unexplained IF
    Many IUI's with various meds all BFFN
    IVF #1 11/11 canceled due to OHSS
    IVF #2 Feb/March 2012 ET of 2 on day 3 4/7 BFP! 5/1 u/s blighted ovum
    IVF #3 July 2012 ET of 3 on day 3 7/24 BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w4d on 3/9/13

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2
    IVF #4 May/June 2014 ER 6/4 18R 8M 8F ET 6/9 1 blast, 2 frosties
    Beta 6/18 BFFN

FET of 2 blasts 7/24...BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w3d on 3/17/15

TTC#3
    IVF #5 June 2018- PGS planned, no surviving embryos
    IVF #6 August 2018- ET of 2 on day 3 - Chemical pregnancy
    IVF #7 August 2019-....?
This discussion has been closed.