September 2014 Moms

Shoulder pain - wwyd?

So I swore off of all meds when finding out I'm pregnant. Previous losses, nerves, whatever. And you have to understand - I miss my Alleve, etc more than some of you miss wine or sushi! I'm generally an achey person - I drive a lot for work and just get tightened up. So I did a number on my shoulder recently and finally got permission from doc to get a massage. Went yesterday and I was in heaven. She totally got all the knots working and I felt like jelly afterwards. Problem is - a few hours later my shoulder and arm started throbbing in pain. I spent all night alternating between heat pad and a cold pack and the minute I remove its- the pain is back immediately. And - the kicker - I am on my way to a 4 day conference for work. 2 hour drive and then meetings, booth, dinners. I need to function and this is killing me. Question - would you take a little Tylenol? And for those with a higher tolerance for meds - does Tylenol eve make a dent??

Re: Shoulder pain - wwyd?

• Sorry you're in pain,  I try to stay away from meds personally, so i would suggest trying regular massages and stretching/other exercises to loosen up the area.  But you have to do it regularly for the results to last.  I'd ask your doc about meds that are safe or even topical treatments, such as bengay and icy hot that might help with minimal effects on you and your baby.

Good luck!  I hope you can find some relief soon :-)
    September '14 June Siggy Challenege: Dad Eye Candy
    imageimage

IAmPregnant Ticker
    Whoa! Look at you grow!
    BabyFruit Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hi there! I've been told Tylenol is safe to take. However, I also have some non-med advice. I had a similar reaction to a massage once, and eventually ended up on muscle relaxers (not good here though!). I echo the advice about stretching. and drink lots of water, especially immediately after a massage - the pain is related to the release of built up lactic acid in the muscles. lots of water and light activity will flush it out and get rid of the pain. Of course, I'm not a doctor! I'm just passing on what I learned in a similar situation. Good luck!
    TTC since 8/13 
    BFP #1 - 1/15/14  MMC/D&C 3/6/14
    BFP #2 - 6/29/14 - on our first wedding anniversary! NMC 7/8/14
    BFP #3 - 2/11/15 - Also found out I have MTHFR deficiency - taking Foltx for more folic acid!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks ladies. Yeah - I have been drinking and stretching and heating and chilling. This has happened a few times before where I feel worse before better after a massage. I wouldn't worry so much but I can't be twisting in pain during this conference. I may try a small amount of Tylenol and see what happens. My attitude is that once in a blue moon for emergencies is ok - it is repeated usage that would worry me.
  • Try soaking with some Epsom salts.  My SIL is a massage therapist, and she recommends it to all her patients after deep tissue or any intensive massage work.
    BFP 11/24/2012  MMC 1/21/2013 - BFP 3/29/2013  MC 4/8/2013 - BFP 4/25/2013 MC 5/6/2013 - 5/17/2013 Diagnosed with LPD - BFP 8/24/13  MC 9/6/2013
    BFP: 12/19/13  - Beta 1@11dpo: 26.8 - Beta 6@23dpo: 3,672
    Our Rainbow Son Born August 26, 2014
    Lilypie - (nueR)
    All ALers welcome!
  • Sorry you're suffering. :(  I have osteoarthritis in both of my knees, so I sympathize with being a generally achy person. Before this pregnancy I was taking meds on a regular basis to cope.  I also swore off meds - for the most part. 

If I am suffering, I take a Tylenol. One extra strength. It does help.  And I used to think that taking 2 barely did a thing - now just taking one really does provide relief.  My OB has approved Tylenol, so I don't feel bad doing so, but I do it in moderation when I feel like I need to. 

Feel better!!
    Rainbow baby due in September!
    .image
    May Siggy Challenge - Favorite Onscreen Mom
    image  image
  • chardonnay24chardonnay24 member
    edited March 2014
    I have terrible shoulder pain in my right shoulder from a previous sports injury. When it gets back, the pain radiates up my neck and turns into a headache. I neglected it for years, ignoring the pain or taking pain killers, but it's been horrible this pregnancy.

I've been seeing a chiropractor, acupuncturist, and getting semi regular massages throughout this pregnancy, and it's only a temporary fix. Today, my midwife suggested trying a few sessions in a sensory deprivation tank. I've heard of them before, but it always seemed a little out there to me. Basically, you float in a closed tank of body temp salt water in the dark. The idea is total body relaxation. Apparently, it's really good for relieving pain from muscle tension. I'm going to try it, because I am pretty desperate to try anything that might possibly help.

ETA: Clearly I didn't read your post well. Tylenol doesn't make a dent, but taking the tension headache version with caffeine seems to work to take the edge off. Obviously, any other alternative treatment will take longer and won't help you for your trip. I hope you do find some relief soon!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"