August 2014 Moms
Options

New Room and Not?

Right now DD is in her yellow painted bedroom with all the nursery furniture--minus the crib. It all fit nicely in that room. DH wants to move her to a similar size room, paint it her color of choice (probably pink) and get her new furniture and keep the nursery furniture in the yellow room for the new baby. I don't want her to feel "kicked" out of her room for the baby. 

For those with toddlers or older kiddos--what did you do with this?

BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: New Room and Not?

• Options
    We moved my DS out of the nursery and into his own room. I wanted to do a new room for him anyway with a big boy theme, and our nursery is neutral so wanted to keep that intact.

We moved him before I was even pregnant. If you make the move soon, she will have plenty of time to adjust. A lot of it is attitude...don't act like she's getting kicked out, act like she's getting a special prize (the new room) and she can help decorate or whatever. FWIW, DS loves his new room and didn't have trouble with the transition.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Logan 10/20/2010 ~ Addison 8/26/2014
  • Options
    DS is staying in his room but we have ordered him a new bed. He loved his crib so we just converted it to a toddler bed at Christmas.

#2 is going in what is DS's playroom. AKA the toy storage room. He doesn't really play in there that so much hopefully he won't be too traumatized. We'd rather keep our guest room/DH's man room.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    DS is getting a new bed/furniture and new room a few months before new baby comes out.  Like a band-aid, all at once.  He's too little still to choose colors so we'll keep the room garnet.

>>>---FSU--->

• Options
    We moved DD to a new room.  She thought it was fun.  Then again she was only 16 months so she really didn't know what the heck was going on. 
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • Options
    DS was all for moving his room. I let him pick from two rooms and explained to him that one room will be for baby and one room for him. We moved his furniture over and he loves it. He even came up with rules for his room. He's ready and excited for the baby though so that may also be part of his willingness to move. 
    IAmPregnant Ticker}
  • Options
    We moved to a new house at the same time, so that helped our transition. But when we moved we put DD's old baby furniture in one room, and then got her a twin bed and furniture set and painted her new room in a Minnie theme. She is really into Minnie right now and was SO EXCITED about her new Minnie room. She still talks about it all the time. Just let her pick a theme she loves and tell her she gets all new things and a new room and do it soon. Then she will get used to her new room and think of it as "her room" and probably won't care about the old room at all anymore.

imageimage
  • Options
    We kept my DS in his room.  Luckily we deceided to escape his crib and therefore get a big boy bed about 6 month ago, when we moved the crib & changing table to another room, he started calling it the baby room before we were even pregnant.  We kept his same dresser and bought him a new cube organizer for his toys.  We will be a new dresser the babies room.

• Options
    I went back and forth about this then decided to keep DS in his current room.  He's already in the smaller room and the bigger room is the guest room right now.  My parents will be coming out in Aug and my mom will be staying for the entire month, so it will be nice to be able to keep it a spare room for a bit longer (the baby will be in our room for the first few weeks or months).  Plus, I didn't want DS to feel kicked-out, like you mentioned.  Now, that being said, DS is only 21 months and might not have the same comprehension when he comes to an exciting new big boy room with new furniture like an older child might so that was a factor for us as well. 
    Books.  Blogs.  Battlestar Galactica.  

Tiny Man 05/31/2012  I Tinier Man 07/28/2014
  • Options
    We're hoping to move before New Baby is born, so everyone will change bedrooms, but if we don't LO and DS will have to share. Still, we made sure to pack away the toys, bedding, and some furniture (like the crib) that we used for DS and will use for the new LO so DS won't feel like we're taking his stuff away when it's happening. (Actually, some boxes of baby stuff are still visible, and when DS sees them he says "that's for the baby!" So I think it's working.)
    BFP #1: EDD 8/29/11, MMC 1/14/11. BFP #2: Damien Isaac born 12/16/11. BFP #3: Rowen Cole born 7/28/14. BFP #4: EDD 9/16/16.

Anniversary

baby blog

• Options
    DD is getting a new room. We have been talking it up about her special big girl room and how pretty it is going to be. We will decorate it and move her over before the baby is born.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I don't think it's a big deal either way, though I'm all for minimum effort. I would probably leave everything I could the same and only buy the minimum I needed so both older sibling and baby would have a bed and place to store clothes.
  • Options
    Try to make everything seem like her choice. She'll feel like a big kid!

Baby Girl born 7/9/2014 at 34.5wks

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"