March 2014 Moms
Options

Posterior cervix + dropped baby? (warning - this will include discussion of dilation!)

Has anyone else had this? 

Apparently my cervix is "posterior" and now that the baby has dropped quite a bit, at my 40 week appointment when they checked me they couldn't even measure my cervix b/c the baby's head was so much in the way? (It was very painful when they tried to check! And two different doctors attempted!)
The interwebs tell me that this can happen b/c you aren't yet dilated, but when I was last checked, a couple weeks ago, I was 3 cm, and I'm pretty sure it's rare/impossible to regress? (Maybe it just means it will not be a problem once you get to be more dilated.) 
It was potentially going to be a problem b/c they were trying to decide if they needed to induce me right then for something (which turned out to be a false alarm, so I didn't take the time to ask my doctor exactly why it would be a problem other than just knowing my stats,) so I guess I'm more just wondering if anyone has experienced this... I'm kind of worried that I will get to the hospital in active labor and they won't admit me or something b/c they still can't get to my cervix and won't be able to say I'm dilated enough, lol!
imageimage

Re: Posterior cervix + dropped baby? (warning - this will include discussion of dilation!)

• Options

no personal experience, but the term posterior just means your cervix is tipped to the back as opposed to anterior (towards the front) Sorry you both had such uncomfortable checks, I've never had any discomfort with cervical checks... My understanding is your cervix will "straighten"/or should that be "forward face"  as you continue to dilate

• Options
    jh&khjh&kh member
    edited February 2014
    My cervix was posterior until I was in active labor and then it tilted on its own. Cervix checks were horribly painful but I was 2cm dilated at every check from 36 wks on.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had a posterior cervix when I was in labor with DS. My midwife doesn't do a lot of checks so I'd been in labor for awhile when we found out. She was able to bring it forward so my labor would progress and fwiw it didn't hurt at all so your doctor may have been too forceful in his examination. Also it's totally possible to go backwards in dilation. It happens a lot if you're stressed.
    imageimage 
  • Options
    I'm going to ask about this if they still can't get to it the next time they check, but I wonder if a different position (not on my back) would make it easier? I'm thinking hands and knees... (yup, SUPER awkward, but hey, if it works and doesn't hurt as much...)
    imageimage
  • Options
    With both of my pregnancies I have been told that my cervix is posterior. But my dr says it kind of more to herself and says "oh you are still very posterior" so I understand that as it is now posterior but will change. Apparently it wasnt an issue with my son bc I delivered him vaginally with no problems. I have another check on Monday so hopefully it will have started to move...? Not sure. And yes the checks are a million times worse bc they have to reach so far. Ask your dr if there is a different position to be in.. Otherwise I just grit my teeth and get through it.
  • Options
    Everyone's cervix starts out posterior during pregnancy and then gradually moves to being anterior. This can happen during labour, or in the weeks leading up to labour. It is totally normal and won't cause any complications.

When you are getting checked if you make fists and put them under your hips it tilts your pelvis and brings your cervix more forward. It will make it easier for people to reach it to check, and that will make it less uncomfortable for you.

Sorry you had such a crappy check!
  • Options
    I had my first check yesterday and holy crap was that painful!  She said my cervix was posterior and that it was softening but as of yet undilated.  Makes sense that the posterior-ness could be related to the lack of dilation.  

After yesterday, can I just say how happy I am that my doctor is a petite lady with small hands?  How does anyone have a male OB?
  • Options
    Jenstwins said:
    Everyone's cervix starts out posterior during pregnancy and then gradually moves to being anterior. This can happen during labour, or in the weeks leading up to labour. It is totally normal and won't cause any complications. When you are getting checked if you make fists and put them under your hips it tilts your pelvis and brings your cervix more forward. It will make it easier for people to reach it to check, and that will make it less uncomfortable for you. Sorry you had such a crappy check!
    yeah, I tried that both times but it didn't help...  :-q
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"