Working Moms
Options

Any vegetarians?

I am going back to work full time next week, and I am scared about keeping up with dinners. What easy vegetarian options do you use? I am not big into processed vegetarian food, so it has to be somewhat from scratch, thanks
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Any vegetarians?

• Options

I usually rely on pasta (with pesto and different veggies), veggie tacos (I like to use black beans, corn, onions, and peppers), soup +veggie or salad, veggie burgers with home maid fries. 

We tend to eat a lot of the same stuff for weeknight dinners, but I am all for it if it is healthy-ish and can be prepared in less than 30 minutes :)

• Options

I am not vegetarian but we eat vegetarian 3-4 times per week.  We do a lot of vegetarian soups.  I love soup because I can make a ton and freeze in batches. 

Giada on the foodnetwork has a really yummy butternut squash soup that we make often

I also do a broccoli soup.  Can't remember where I got the recipe.

HappyHealthymama also has tons of vegetarian meals on her website

There's also this really yummy greek spinach and feta quiche that I make often.  It also freezes really well.  I think I found the website on food.com

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    A lot of my regular veggie meals contain beans - Black bean and sweet potato tacos are a huge hit at my house (and they're quick and easy). Also black beans with pumpkin and coconut served over brown rice, lentil soup, black bean burgers, and vegetarian chili.  Some non-bean based meals: cheddar veg soup or butternut squash soup with salad, quiche or omelets. A lot of these I make in my slow cooker and then freeze. I always have black beans available because I can usually throw something together with them really quick.  
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    i cook about 75% vegetarian meals at home. i try to cook/prep as much as i can over the weekend. in the winter i tend to make a lot of soups- i make lentil soup, mushroom barley soup, and vegetarian chili regularly. i often make whole wheat pasta with greens- i saute a bunch of garlic in olive oil, then wilt in any kind of hearty green. sometimes i add chickpeas or cannellini beans. or i will make greens with eggs.

my favorite vegetarian cookbook is american wholefoods cuisine by nikki and david goldbeck. it's kinda vintage but all the recipes are simple and tasty. i'd also recommend any cookbooks by isa chandra moskowitz- they are vegan but everything i've made has been delicious. don't tell, but sometimes i sub in dairy ingredients because it's less labor intensive (like sour cream instead of making cashew cream or use an egg instead of ground flaxseed).

• Options
    We do black bean burritos, pasta with veggies, roasted squash with couscous or bulgar filling.  I usually try to make some slow cooker meals, like lentils and rice, on the weekends for early the workweek (I don't like the idea of leaving it on while I'm at work).  I know you said you only wanted stuff that is made from scratch but we used Trader Joe's pizza crust often.  You just have to roll and bake with your toppings.  It's vegan and doesn't appear to have any crap in it. 

• Options
    For meals that I can throw together in 20 mins or less, I'll do veggie burritos or tacos, tofu/veggie stir fry, pasta with pesto sauce.  

I sometimes make large batches of quiches, butternut squash chili, homemade soups, black bean veggie burgers and sweet potato fries as weekend meals that can be frozen and easily reheated during the work week.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  
  • Options
    Black beans, tomatoes and quinoa, couscous with garbanzo beans and pesto, pasta dishes, tacos made with Boca crumbles,vegetable pot pie. There's a handful of the dishes I make at home as a vegetarian.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm also limited by stuff my 3 and 5 year olds will eat, so stuff like main dish salads don't work for us anymore. We have black bean veggie tacos once a week. Soup or chili in the crockpot. I always make extra and freeze some. I love the Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home cookbook, and we'll prep veggies the night before or make stuff ahead and reheat. The kids really like the sweet potato quesadillas. Baked dishes like pot pie or lasagna are made on the weekend or days when one of us is working from home. Crock pots are great, but another useful tool is a programmable rice cooker. I add rice and water in the morning and set it to have the rice done at dinner time.
    Formerly known as ms.mittens Jude 12/31/2008 Ezra 2/10/2011 Nora 7/23/2013 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I've gone through vegetarian phases though I'm definitely not in one right now. Anyway - one of my fav recipes that's actually vegan is Rajma (red kidney bean curry) with veggie pulao. It takes less than half an hour to make - it's my go-to for potlucks because I can come home from work, make it in 20-25 minutes, and then be out the door and at a party by 7:30pm. It tastes good too. 

Also soups are great - any squash that's on sale soups up nicely. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I do lots of veggie/tofu stir fry, spinach salads, soup, bean burritos, white or brown rice, pasta, veggie burritos or tacos, etc.  DH is a meat eater, so full veggie meals are not an option. We have meat a few nights per week and I just don't eat it.

Veggies are quick and easy to make, as is rice.  These are my go-to meals. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"