April 2014 Moms

Stupid Questions Thread

Re: Stupid Questions Thread

• DD hated all Velcro swaddles. We swaddled with a+a muslin swaddle blankets instead. But a lot of our friends swear by them!
    DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
  • Anyone in love with halo sleepsacks or are they just a gimmicky blanket? I received one at my shower and wondering if I should buy more.
    I loved them and so did DD. :) We used the swaddles until about 6 months when she started rolling, then we switched to the non-swaddle sacks that leave their arms free. 
    March 2017 September Siggy Challenge: Favorite Fall Things

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Anyone in love with halo sleepsacks or are they just a gimmicky blanket? I received one at my shower and wondering if I should buy more.
    We loved them too. The hospital gave us a couple to take home.  When he was old enough to not need to be swaddled we we started leaving one then both arms free and just velcroed them underneath his arms so it was just a sleep sac then. 
    We had one called "HALO Sleepsack Wearable Blanket Deluxe Velboa" but the inside got rough after a few washes. 

• Heidiman said:
    Question about newborn clothes... I freaked out and bought a bunch of newborn onsies from the Carter's sale the other day. They just came in and look super tiny. Even my mom was surprised. It says 5-8 lbs. I know there is no telling how big my baby will be, but is this size necessary? Does the 0-3 fit a newborn? Maybe I'm just freaked out at how tiny she might be!!! I know this is annoying!! But please help a FTM out! You can make fun of me too ;-)
    All of my kids have been 7+ lbs at birth, so I've never had a need for newborn clothes. The 0-3 month may be a little big, but not for long. You'll be amazed how fast they outgrow things!
  • Heidiman said:
    Question about newborn clothes... I freaked out and bought a bunch of newborn onsies from the Carter's sale the other day. They just came in and look super tiny. Even my mom was surprised. It says 5-8 lbs. I know there is no telling how big my baby will be, but is this size necessary? Does the 0-3 fit a newborn? Maybe I'm just freaked out at how tiny she might be!!! I know this is annoying!! But please help a FTM out! You can make fun of me too ;-)
    I am a FTM too, and am thinking that I will probably have at least an 8lb baby (No one in my family or DH's family has ever had a baby smaller than 8lbs) so I didn't buy and newborn sizes but have it worked out with my mom that if we end up having a teeny tiny LO she is going to purchase (of course we will pay her back, she will just be doing the leg work) and wash some newborn sized clothes for us while we are still in the hospital so we have something to put baby in right when we get home.
    Together Since 9/14/2008 
    Married since 08/19/2011 
    Audrey born 5/9/2014 

A14 August Siggy Challange: This time Last Year

Me DH
    image image

• MrsZ0811 said:

Heidiman said:

Question about newborn clothes...

I freaked out and bought a bunch of newborn onsies from the Carter's sale the other day. They just came in and look super tiny. Even my mom was surprised. It says 5-8 lbs. I know there is no telling how big my baby will be, but is this size necessary? Does the 0-3 fit a newborn? Maybe I'm just freaked out at how tiny she might be!!! I know this is annoying!! But please help a FTM out! You can make fun of me too ;-)

I am a FTM too, and am thinking that I will probably have at least an 8lb baby (No one in my family or DH's family has ever had a baby smaller than 8lbs) so I didn't buy and newborn sizes but have it worked out with my mom that if we end up having a teeny tiny LO she is going to purchase (of course we will pay her back, she will just be doing the leg work) and wash some newborn sized clothes for us while we are still in the hospital so we have something to put baby in right when we get home.

I was 5lb2oz and DH was 7 something but they keep telling me I'm having a big baby. She's measured in the 91st percentile and most recently the 49th (which sounds average to me by the way and not huge). I think that's a great idea to enlist your mom in the event you need smaller sizes. I'm returning one pack of 5 and keeping the rest, but now I need to get some 0-3. Its so tough!!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• DS was a preemie, no idea when this one's going to come but at risk for PTL and he's average size, so I have a bunch of newborn stuff and will only wash a couple of things and then keep the tags on the rest. On thing though, sizes vary greatly. Carters and Gerber definitely run small in NB (fit DS once he was about 5lbs) but Gap was long and skinny and lots of other designer brands run much bigger. I think having some variety on hand is good, but consider not washing it all as others have said!
    BFP#1 9/14/10 (EDD 5/21/11); no fetal pole 6w6d, 7w4d, d&c 10/8
    BFP#2 3/16/11, beta 138; 4/12 Baby/HB DS born 9/10/11 at 29w4d due to partial abruption and PTL
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BFP#3 8/19/13 Another boy! 17P, modified bedrest and Nifedipine helped us have a termie! DS2 born 4/19/14 at 38w5d.
  • I have a small hemorrhoid :( should I tell my midwife? Is it something you should treat? And am I going to be stuck with it forever?

I really haven't had a lot of constipation...and it's quite small. But it grosses me out.
  • I have a small hemorrhoid :( should I tell my midwife? Is it something you should treat? And am I going to be stuck with it forever?

I really haven't had a lot of constipation...and it's quite small. But it grosses me out.

I'd tell her. She might be able to suggest something to help it go away. Witch Hazel is good for any discomfort it causes, and up your fiber intake. Sometimes they will go away on their own!
    DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
  • I have been really hesitant about buying NB clothes because both my husband and I were big babies and all of my siblings were as well. I decided the most guilt-free way of doing it was buying a handful of onesies from goodwill just in case. NB stuff especially is still in excellent shape from the thrift stores since it gets little to no use before going there.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've got one. Does anyone else getting a weird popping sound coming from your belly? It sounds wet, almost like when you click your tongue.

It happened a few weeks ago for the 1st time & OB said it was my rib being kicked or hit. She also said if LO pops my rib out of place that I can just pop it back into place!?!?

I hear this popping sound atleast twice a day. I'm in fear for my ribs. Anyone else?

Baby Boy #2 is on the way!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I've got one. Does anyone else getting a weird popping sound coming from your belly? It sounds wet, almost like when you click your tongue.

It happened a few weeks ago for the 1st time & OB said it was my rib being kicked or hit. She also said if LO pops my rib out of place that I can just pop it back into place!?!?

I hear this popping sound atleast twice a day. I'm in fear for my ribs. Anyone else?

I actually heard this sound lastnight. If you would have asked me this yesterday I would have said your crazy but it happened. I was laying in bed and she gave a huge kick and I heard a pop. I was afraid my water might have broken for a second. Freaked me out a little.

You might mention it if it makes you uncomfortable in any way. She can give you tips or even meds to help it. They will probably ask you if you have any after you give birth. If you do they can give you a suppository. It at least they did me.

As for going away. It probably will if it's small but you might be more likely to get them in the future. I've had them off and on since my first pregnancy. I'm just prone to them. I keep hemorrhoid wipes and creams in my bathroom all the time.
  • Does anyone know the coupon policy at Buy Buy Baby? I couldn't find it on their site.
    Why do my boobs look so good?image
    Then I peed on a stick...image
  • My nephew was 8lbs10oz and he was in NB clothes for a while, so fuck it. I'm washing the NB stuff and crossing my fingers that this baby isn't an 11 pounder. 

You might mention it if it makes you uncomfortable in any way. She can give you tips or even meds to help it. They will probably ask you if you have any after you give birth. If you do they can give you a suppository. It at least they did me.

As for going away. It probably will if it's small but you might be more likely to get them in the future. I've had them off and on since my first pregnancy. I'm just prone to them. I keep hemorrhoid wipes and creams in my bathroom all the time.
    Thanks.

I had an even smaller one before that had gone away... But this one bled quite a bit last night. I'll let my midwife know.
  • @beautifulstr13 I totally thought it was my water breaking the 1st time!

I was scared to sound like a nutcase about this popping but I'm glad I'm not alone.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • So this is probably a stupid question that was answered elsewhere, but for STMs... did any of you notice or experience the "early labor sign," of flu-like symptoms (nausea, diarrhea, etc.)?  I know I read somewhere that it's a potential symptom of early labor or a sign that you might soon be going into labor, and I know I'm super paranoid right now and probably just caught a stomach bug buuut... the dangers of over-research and all that.  Pretty sure I'm just sick from one of my students, since I'm only 34 weeks, but I've been having tons of dreams lately about the delivery and I'm so paranoid it'll happen any day now.

Eep!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • TMI....maybe. but I have what I would call nervous bowel syndrome. Everytime I have to go somewhere or do public speaking I have to go to poop like 3 times before leaving the house. I told my MW this and she said that I should expect to have serious diarrhea before I go into labor then. Something else lovely to look forward to!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

#1 BFP 26/May/2013 EDD 27/Jan/2014 MC at 5 weeks, 2 days 
    #2 BFP 04/Aug/2013 EDD April 18th, 2014. Baby M born May 2, 2014.

• I thought I had food poisoning. I insisted my DH take me in because I was convinced I was dehydrated. I have nervous stomach too and so he didn't want to take me in because he thought I was just starting to freak out that my c section was 2 days away and that my family was flying in that day. We were both shocked to find out I was in labor.
  • I too thought I had the flu. We had been camping that mothers day weekend and my 8 year old godson had some goobers and a cough, so naturally I just thought I had caught his germs earlier in the week. Didn't have the diarrhea until midday on mothers day followed shortly by my melting mucus plug. It wasn't til I texted the midwife and told her about the plug and she asked about contractions that I realized it was labour.
  • When people say they are 30 weeks pregnant but measuring 32 weeks, how do they know that? My OB has never told me what I am measuring (other than from my ultrasound). Is that something that I need to ask them to do?
  • Thanks for the responses ladies.  I've been keeping an eye out for any other symptoms (mucus plug, lightening, contractions), but nothing so far.  Another question, I've never really felt like he's riding super high - i.e., he's not under my ribs or anything, he tends to have his butt to either side of my belly button and my doctor confirmed he's head down right now - but I do get out of breath really easily because of the pressure from him/my uterus.  How obvious is the "lightening," effect?  Do you really notice a change in positioning, such as suddenly feeling kicks in your pelvic/bikini line area, or was it more that there was a let up of discomfort from squished lungs?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Also, just made the connection that I had my TDAP shot on Tuesday... did anyone have stomach issues as a side effect of the shot itself?  Could it potentially be a side effect, just three days later?
    Pregnancy Ticker

• When people say they are 30 weeks pregnant but measuring 32 weeks, how do they know that? My OB has never told me what I am measuring (other than from my ultrasound). Is that something that I need to ask them to do?
    Starting around 24w (that's when it started for me anyway), they measure your fundal height. This is the distance from your public bone to the top of your belly. That measurement is "normal" when it's within +/- 2 weeks of your current gestational age. So measuring 32w or 28w at 30w, is normal. I don't know what I'm measuring specifically, and it's not a big deal. If you're curious you can certainly ask, but it doesn't necessarily mean anything at all.
    My dr takes out the measuring tape every visit now and measures but never tells me the results. I figure if it was work mentioning she would so I don't ask
    June Siggy Challenge

imageMy little Princess
    BFP#2 7/28/13 EDD 4/9/14 Birthday : 4/10/14 Adalyn Nanette :)
    BFP#1 6/29/12 LTMC 10/20/12 (20 weeks) induced delivery 10/22/12
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Sorry if this has already been asked...

For those of you ladies who have or are planning on cosleeping/having a co sleeper/side carring their crib, are you going to get up and change your baby at their changing pad in the middle of the night, or do you plan on just doing it in their crib? It seems like a huge PITA to get up every time he poops. I was thinking of putting down a plastic changing pad and using that in the crib for middle of the night changes.
    I used one of those little waterproof changing pad covers on one end of the pnp. It wasn't an issue for the 5-6 weeks that DS1 was in our room.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I think if you have a similar pregnancy as your mother then it's more likely related to body build and such rather than just because pregnancy experiences are genetic. I didn't have similar pregnancies or deliveries as my mother.

Married 3.14.09
    DS born 8.20.10
    MC 7.11.11
    DD born 5.24.12
    #3 EDD 4.02.14
  • Is there a correlation between yours and your husband's birth weight to your own child's weight? I see a lot of people using that as a comparison on here. I didn't find DD's to be similar to either of us. I was 5lbs DH was over 10 lbs and DD was 6.10 lbs.

Genuine question.
  • Is there a correlation between yours and your husband's birth weight to your own child's weight? I see a lot of people using that as a comparison on here. I didn't find DD's to be similar to either of us. I was 5lbs DH was over 10 lbs and DD was 6.10 lbs.

Genuine question.

I was always taught that baby's birth weight would have more to do with mom's size (assuming no other complications) than anything else, but I suppose theoretically baby should be similarly sized as mom and/or dad. I'm not sure. DH and I were both about 7 lbs and we've had a 7 lb 13 oz baby at term with GD and a 7 lb baby at 39 weeks.

Married 3.14.09
    DS born 8.20.10
    MC 7.11.11
    DD born 5.24.12
    #3 EDD 4.02.14
  • My mom was 2 weeks late to the day with all 3 of us, I was 7.8lbs, middle sister was 8.9lbs, and little sister 6.9lbs all vag deliveries. DD was 40wks2days by ovulation, 2weeks late by LMP and 8.2lbs by ECS. My paternal grandmother had 5 kids, her first as over 10lbs! My dad's other siblings were all 5lbs or less. DH was a 6lb baby born by C/S to a 55 year old mother with severe pre-E who claims to have gained over 60lbs in pregnancy. So no I don't think there's any correlation between birth weights. I do believe there is a correlation between due dates. I'd ask my maternal grandmother about her births as she also had 5 kids, but she's no longer with it.
  • aronie82 said:

What is that breast feeding website/blog everyone e was saying was so helpful?

Kellymom?

Married 3.14.09
    DS born 8.20.10
    MC 7.11.11
    DD born 5.24.12
    #3 EDD 4.02.14
  • My mom and I both have the same sort of build, tall and lanky with slimmer hips than shoulders.  My MIL keeps saying "women tend to have birth experiences like their own mom did".  I keep thinking, "I certainly hope not, I had to be shoved back up inside my mom twice in an attempt to turn me around from breech!"  Not looking forward to that experience, if that's really the case, and I think my little stinker is either breech or transverse at the moment, so... *cringe*

A14 Siggy Challenge (November): Favorite Fall Smell
  • aviola329 said:
    snmetz7 said:

When people say they are 30 weeks pregnant but measuring 32 weeks, how do they know that? My OB has never told me what I am measuring (other than from my ultrasound). Is that something that I need to ask them to do?
    Starting around 24w (that's when it started for me anyway), they measure your fundal height. This is the distance from your public bone to the top of your belly. That measurement is "normal" when it's within +/- 2 weeks of your current gestational age. So measuring 32w or 28w at 30w, is normal. I don't know what I'm measuring specifically, and it's not a big deal. If you're curious you can certainly ask, but it doesn't necessarily mean anything at all.
    My dr takes out the measuring tape every visit now and measures but never tells me the results. I figure if it was work mentioning she would so I don't ask
    Mine does the same but then tells the number to the nurse in the room who records the number, usually loud enough for me to hear it too LOL
    With DD1 he did measure at the end for every visit and would just say everything looks good. This pregnancy I've had USs every visit because the images haven't been great and doing a scan is easy for him--the us machine is opposite his office door.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Sorry if this has already been asked...

For those of you ladies who have or are planning on cosleeping/having a co sleeper/side carring their crib, are you going to get up and change your baby at their changing pad in the middle of the night, or do you plan on just doing it in their crib? It seems like a huge PITA to get up every time he poops. I was thinking of putting down a plastic changing pad and using that in the crib for middle of the night changes.
    I took DD from the bassinet to the chair in our room to bf and then I would change her on the bed if needed.
  • amhah09 said:
    Is there a correlation between yours and your husband's birth weight to your own child's weight? I see a lot of people using that as a comparison on here. I didn't find DD's to be similar to either of us. I was 5lbs DH was over 10 lbs and DD was 6.10 lbs. Genuine question.
    I was always taught that baby's birth weight would have more to do with mom's size (assuming no other complications) than anything else, but I suppose theoretically baby should be similarly sized as mom and/or dad. I'm not sure. DH and I were both about 7 lbs and we've had a 7 lb 13 oz baby at term with GD and a 7 lb baby at 39 weeks.
    I was around 8lbs at birth and born on my dd :) DD was only 6.6lbs at 38w5d. I am not sure what DH weighed and he doesn't know.
  • My mom and I both have the same sort of build, tall and lanky with slimmer hips than shoulders.  My MIL keeps saying "women tend to have birth experiences like their own mom did".  I keep thinking, "I certainly hope not, I had to be shoved back up inside my mom twice in an attempt to turn me around from breech!"  Not looking forward to that experience, if that's really the case, and I think my little stinker is either breech or transverse at the moment, so... *cringe*
    I wish I had a birthing experience like my mom and grandma...1-2 pushes and babies come out! Both of them! Me--getting to 5cm and DD decided to disengage her head and go all the way back up my uterus and would not come down at all for the next 7 hours--I would have loved to go natural :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"