One & Done: Only child
Options

I am totally obsessed with this house

If you take the time to read the back story, this is only their temporary house until they can save up again to purchase land and a house. But for now, this family of 5 is living in a 665 sq ft house and making it look comfortable. This house looks so amazing, I would totally do this.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: I am totally obsessed with this house

• Options
    @lildis09 I might if there were 5 of us. But since we're only 3, we could totally all be in different rooms.

The mother, who apparently designed the cabin almost entirely herself, is almost done making plans for a 900 sq ft cabin for purchase. I am seriously considering asking DH to look into it. We both want a small house, and I'm thinking this could be the way to do it with minimal debt/mortgage.
  • Options
    This has actually always been my dream - minimalist living and microhousing.  May do this for retirement.
    University of Kansas alum Geoff Folker applies food coloring to his snow sculpture at his home on Park Street in Olathe, Kan., on Sunday, March 24, 2013.  A storm that dumped up to 15 inches of snow on parts of Colorado and Kansas is making its way east, with winter storm warnings and advisories issued for today and tomorrow as far east as Pennsylvania. (AP Photo/The Kansas City Star, John Sleezer)

January OAD Siggy Challenge: Creative Snow Sculptures

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @2013mommy, here's the post where she talks about the plans of the 900 sq ft house. Her email is at the end if you want to do like me and request to be notified when the plans are available ;)

https://www.assortmentblog.com/assortment/2014/02/about-those-cabin-plans.html

• Options
    KatieB19KatieB19 member
    edited February 2014
    Does she actually sell them? How much are they?
    M&MHaveMyHeart she doesn't sell the actual cabins, no. I don't think she realized how many people might want to recreate what she did. She's in the process of finishing up plans for a similar house, and she's going to sell the plans. According to her, they will be complete plans, so you can just hand them over to a builder.

The house they are in was designed to be portable, so there were restrictions on size, height, etc. The one she's designing is intended to be permanent, so it's a bit larger and takes into consideration things that more people might want (I'm imagining a dishwasher for one, lol).

ETA: No prices yet, not that I've seen. She does have a post about how much it cost *her* but like she said, that's really variable.
    https://www.assortmentblog.com/assortment/2013/10/becoming-home-the-cost.html

• Options
    KatieB19 said:
    Does she actually sell them? How much are they?
    M&MHaveMyHeart she doesn't sell the actual cabins, no. I don't think she realized how many people might want to recreate what she did. She's in the process of finishing up plans for a similar house, and she's going to sell the plans. According to her, they will be complete plans, so you can just hand them over to a builder.

The house they are in was designed to be portable, so there were restrictions on size, height, etc. The one she's designing is intended to be permanent, so it's a bit larger and takes into consideration things that more people might want (I'm imagining a dishwasher for one, lol).

ETA: No prices yet, not that I've seen. She does have a post about how much it cost *her* but like she said, that's really variable.
    https://www.assortmentblog.com/assortment/2013/10/becoming-home-the-cost.html

Oh wow, that's a lot for theirs! 
    There was a bunch of other stories about these small houses that was going around a while ago on Yahoo. I think some of those were in the 10-20K range, depending on how small you can really go. 

Yeah, it was higher than I expected too. I'm wondering if part of her expense was the transport, though. There was another post somewhere, and they had the cabin built in one place and then shipped to another.
  • Options
    KatieB19KatieB19 member
    edited February 2014
    This was one a saw before. I don't know if I could do it.
    Oh wow those are tiny!

ETA: I just realized I was only looking at the houses on the go models, lol. I found the cottages, those look much more reasonable in terms of size. Still small! But potentially doable.
  • Options
    It's amazing how creative she was with such a small space. Love it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"