Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Miscarriage and thyroid antibodies, anyone else?

I had a mc and d&c yesterday. I have been on medication for hypothyroidism for over 20 years so as part of my prenatal testing, my thyroid levels were checked and my tsh levels had jumped 8+ points since my last blood tests in June 2013. My dosage was changed this week the genetic counselor decided to run thyroid antibody test to see if there are/were any autoimmune issues going on. The test came back positive and I am now being referred to an endocrinologist. I have done some research on thyroid antibodies and it turns out that women with hypothyroidism that test positive for antibodies have a hard time maintaining a pregnancy. It is hard enough to go through this loss but to learn that my own body could have potentially been part of the reason for this miscarriage is very hard to take. I have not been diagnosed with hashimoto's or graves but I do have and have had some autoimmune issues in the past that are symptoms of hashimotos - I have had vitiligo since birth and a few yrs ago had an alopecia spot appear on my head - the hair grew back with the help of cortisone injections and I have not had any other issues until now. DH and I do want to TTC again but I just don't know if my body will accept another pregnancy. Has anyone else had these kinds of issues with thyroid?

Re: Miscarriage and thyroid antibodies, anyone else?

• Lurking (still new to TB and decided to creep other boards)

I am so sorry for your loss.

I just started TTC. I also have been hypothyroid since I was young and recently tested positive for antibodies. I have been going to an endocrinologist since September and he just recently gave me the go ahead to TTGP.

This is what he told me: If your thyroid is properly medicated, the risk for MC is only mildly elevated, if at all. Thyroid levels can change quickly during pregnancy so I will have to have tests done every 4 weeks, possibly more often depending on the results. (The increase risk of MC is if the thyroid level changes more erratically and isn't monitored as closely.) I am instructed to contact my endocrinologist as soon as I get a BFP and I will probably see him before I even see a OB/GYN.

Everything my endocrinologist told me is consistent with the research I have done online, so I expect your endocrinologist will give you similar advice.

Not sure what you plans are at this time, but if your TSH or T4 levels are off, your endocrinologist may recommend that you put off TTGP until things get straightened out. It sucks, but it is the best in the long run to increase the chances of a healthy pregnancy.

• Thank you for your response, it is good to know that there are others with the same issues. My TSH has been regulate for quite some time before the BFP then whamo it elevated. The T3 and T4 levels were both fine, it was just the TSH that went wonky. Now that I know my body could reject another pregnancy we will definitely wait for the go ahead before trying again.
  • Loading the player...
  • I do not have any advice but just wanted to say that I am very sorry for your loss and welcome to the board.
    Married my best friend 7/2/11 - Furbaby born 7/9/11 and brought into our home 9/1/11

BFP#1:   2/2/13 ~ exact m/c date unknown but around 3/20 at 10 weeks ~ diagnosed with PMP ~ D&C on 4/5 ~ TTA for at least 1 year due to PMP ~ cleared to TTC 1/14

BFP#2:   2/7/14 ~ m/c 2/20/14 ~ possibly due to chemical pregnancy ~ TG no D&C is needed 

Surprise BFP#3:  4/4/14 ~ super duper extra happy (and nervous) about this one - EDD 12/9/14!!!

John Joseph was born on 12/12/14 at 7 lbs. 11 oz.  He is the most beautiful rainbow baby we could have wished for!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"