November 2014 Moms

False Positive?!?!! UPDATE!!

RobinandDJRobinandDJ member
edited March 2014 in November 2014 Moms
So I took a hpt on Monday after I missed my period and it said pregnant! I went to the doctor's yesterday for bloodwork and they called me this morning to tell me that my bloodwork came back NEGATIVE!!! So I just took another hpt and it said POSITIVE!!! I am sooooo confused!!!! I haven't had my period yet and I am 4 days late so far. The nurse said to come back next week for more bloodwork. How can this happen?! I am so confused! Bloodwork is obviously more accurate but nothing makes sense right now!

UPDATE: Went back to the doctors Wednesday (a week after initial blood test) and it came back POSITIVE!!! Ahhhh thank goodness! We are officially pregnant!! It's so crazy how the home tests were more accurate than the bloodwork! Now we just wait until April 7 for our first US!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: False Positive?!?!! UPDATE!!

• I have no experience or advice about something like this, but I wanted to say I am sorry you are going through such uncertainty.
    ~~Signature~~
    Me: 36, DH: 38, Together since: 2006, Married: 9/2011 
    **TW Living Child**

BFP 9/19/20 - EDD - 6/1/21

BFP 2/2014 - DS - 10/2014

• I am using digital tests so there are no lines or room for misinterpretation of the results. All I can so is wait until next week to get more bloodwork done. I hate this unknown! Obviously blood is very accurate but I can't deny how my body feels. Only time will tell. I guess I'll just keep taking tests until next week
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm really sorry you're going through this. That's really odd that their blood tests are coming back negative. Can you call the doctor's office and find out if they are doing qualitative or quantitative tests?
  • That's really bizarre. Hopefully the bloodwork next week comes back positive!
    BFP 2.22.14 | EDD 11.2.14 | DS 11.7.14
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm so sorry you're going through this.
    Bfp #1: 2/20/2014 Baby girl born on 11/3/2014
    Anniversary

nov 2014 

• I'm sorry :( I hope you get some answers soon.
    DD1 8.2008 | DD2 1.2010 | DD3 6.2012 | Baby #4 EDD 11.6.2014
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Oh my gosh, I am so sorry you are going through this.  I had a somewhat similar experience at the doc, but I didn't have bloodwork just a urine test.  But they told me it was too faint a result to give me a definite positive even after I'd taken a bunch of the at-home tests and they all came back positive (digital, line, store brand, name brand etc etc etc, tons of them!!).  I was so frustrated with them at the clinic.  I feel like if you are getting multiple positives with the digital hpts then that's a pretty good sign...  Also, the nurse at the dr office didn't give me a blood test when I had my extremely faint positive b/c she said the blood test would probably come back negative...  so I don't know if that helps any, but just wanted to share my experience.   

• the nurse at the dr office didn't give me a blood test when I had my extremely faint positive b/c she said the blood test would probably come back negative...  
    That doesn't make sense, unless they have a threshold for what they consider "positive". When I miscarried last year, I had to go in for weekly blood tests & they tracked my levels until they were in the single digits.

(Note: I'm questioning the nurse's info, not you.) 
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Yes, I thought it seemed strange too.  I think the whole process was a bit suspect because I thought any positive was a positive, right?  I guess the levels in the blood would have been low in her mind?  I am a grad student and go to the Student Health Center for most of my basic needs.  They're not used to someone actually wanting to be pregnant and weren't sure how to deal with me I think, haha.  Fortunately, I've been referred out to a good OB/GYN.

• Can you call the doctor's office and ask them to tell you what your beta count was?  I mean, some drs do have a threshold level of what they consider "positive."  Perhaps you did have a beta count higher than 0, but it lower than what they consider their threshold, so they told you it was negative.  
  • I'm like 99% sure false positives don't happen. Don't worry girl. I'm sure it will come back positive soon.
  • Thanks ladies! I'm going back for blood work again Monday morning. I'm going to assume I'm pregnant until I get my period. Just annoying not knowing for sure!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"