1st Trimester

Mirena removed-pregnant 1 week later

Ok. So I got the Mirena removed on 01/20 and conceived either that week or the next. I thought that was wild, but then I started researching it and apparently it's common. So, during my research, I also discovered that having twins is common, BUT everything that I've read is women saying that they are going in for their first ultra sounds, and hope they have twins, then there isn't an update. Has anyone found out they were having twins soon after having the mirena removed? Just curious, my first visit and ultrasound is scheduled for 03/11.

Re: Mirena removed-pregnant 1 week later

• I have not heard this at all. Honestly, I would think it's all chance.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• edited February 2014

Research should be done by researchers. If you're "quoting sources" from other blogs or public forums then that isn't research, thats browsing the useless internet. Research would be browsing those mundane university published data reports, which I am almost 95% sure there are no credible studies on the correlation between an IUD removal and twins. 

Browsing the useless internet is just called boredom.

BFP 01/05/2013. EDD 09/18/2013. Low Progesterone. Gestational Diabetes. Rh Negative. Baby Ky-Mani born 100% healthy 09/17/2013. TTC#2 12/2013. BFP 02/01/2014! "Baby RaggaMuffin" due 10/07/2014.

• Loading the player...
  • I would think your chances are the same as any other person.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Research should be done by researchers. If you're "quoting sources" from other blogs or public forums than that isn't research, thats browsing the useless internet. Research would be browsing those mundane university published data reports, which I am almost 95% sure there are no credible studies on the correlation between an IUD removal and twins. 

I'm sorry if I have offended you by using the word "research", but maybe you should look the word up before you try to make someone feel silly for being curious of others experiences. If you would, then you would see that it says "investigation into a subject in order to discover or revise facts, THEORIES, applications, etc"

I'm sorry that you feel so bad about yourself that you get joy out of hiding behind a screen name, and trying to act like you're smarter than everyone else. Come on, it was a question on a forum. No big deal. I'm not 100% sure, but I would guess you are not a doctor. And I would also guess that of the question I asked, you have no correlation in answering it. So thanks for your opinion, but I didn't ask for it.
  • This is ridiculous. All I did was ask if anyone has been told they were having twins soon after getting the mirena removed. Not to argue with people over something petty. Just forget it.
  • Ok. So I got the Mirena removed on 01/20 and conceived either that week or the next. I thought that was wild, but then I started researching it and apparently it's common. So, during my research, I also discovered that having twins is common, BUT everything that I've read is women saying that they are going in for their first ultra sounds, and hope they have twins, then there isn't an update. Has anyone found out they were having twins soon after having the mirena removed? Just curious, my first visit and ultrasound is scheduled for 03/11.

If you're seeing women post about hoping/thinking it's twins with no update, I think it's safe to assume they were probably wrong. It happens here. All the time.

Mirena doesn't have a link to higher occurance of twins nor would a link make sense. If it did have a link I definitely would've picked a different method of BC...I'm not interested in having a second set.
    J13 May Siggy Challenge: People lacking in common sense raise my blood pressure.

imageimage
    DD 8/11 | DS1 7/13 | DS2 7/13
  • Oh, yeah. And she did it in a polite way too. Why wouldn't you just say "hey, I would just look into real medical research"
    Besides, I looked and didn't see anything. I was JUST CURIOUS.

I'm not angry, just confused as to why people feel the need to express themselves in this way.
  • Oh, yeah. And she did it in a polite way too. Why wouldn't you just say "hey, I would just look into real medical research" Besides, I looked and didn't see anything. I was JUST CURIOUS. I'm not angry, just confused as to why people feel the need to express themselves in this way.

First, sweet pea, I am not hiding behind a screen name. If you didn't notice I am one of those goof balls who used my real name... so actually I am not hiding at all.

I would like to take a bet on how our IQs pan out... but that's a different conversation all together. Who was it, Socrates that said "I am wiser than this man, for neither of us appears to know anything great and good; but he fancies he knows something, although he knows nothing; whereas I, as I do not know anything, so I do not fancy I do. In this trifling particular, then, I appear to be wiser than he, because I do not fancy I know what I do not know."

And like @dorothybornak97 stated, stay off Google and all other frilly forums. It will do you zero good. If you are concerned about something, ask your doctor or use credible sources.

BFP 01/05/2013. EDD 09/18/2013. Low Progesterone. Gestational Diabetes. Rh Negative. Baby Ky-Mani born 100% healthy 09/17/2013. TTC#2 12/2013. BFP 02/01/2014! "Baby RaggaMuffin" due 10/07/2014.

• Thanks for the advice "mermaidsmagic", but I'm pretty sure I'll still sleep tonight, and maybe you'll make some real friends one day.

• Thanks for the advice "mermaidsmagic", but I'm pretty sure I'll still sleep tonight, and maybe you'll make some real friends one day.

Well, you sure showed me. I will change my ways. Thank you. Thank you. THANK YOU!

GTFO.

Oh golly, you're so welcome! :)
  • Mirena's primary method of action in preventing pregnancy is creating a hostile environment for sperm in the uterus and tubes with a sterile inflammatory reaction, not suppressing ovulation (like most oral contraceptives). Since it doesn't "mess with egg release", it's unlikely that recent removal would increase your risk of a twin pregnancy.... that being said, I searched the medical literature (Pubmed, UpToDate, briefly) and couldn't find a study that looked at your question. Congrats on the pregnancy: only 4 more days until you find out if it's a singleton vs multiples!!!!

As an aside: I love the debate re. the use of the word "research"! There's totally a spectrum.... some people mean that they've read some information "somewhere", while others mean they've read some information from a "credible scientific source". I'd take it one further and say that if you've "researched" something, you've done the study yourself (or been part of it) and have your name as an author on a scientific paper. But I would hazard that VERY FEW people would agree with my definition... 

• mirizzi&A said:

Mirena's primary method of action in preventing pregnancy is creating a hostile environment for sperm in the uterus and tubes with a sterile inflammatory reaction, not suppressing ovulation (like most oral contraceptives). Since it doesn't "mess with egg release", it's unlikely that recent removal would increase your risk of a twin pregnancy.... that being said, I searched the medical literature (Pubmed, UpToDate, briefly) and couldn't find a study that looked at your question. Congrats on the pregnancy: only 4 more days until you find out if it's a singleton vs multiples!!!!

As an aside: I love the debate re. the use of the word "research"! There's totally a spectrum.... some people mean that they've read some information "somewhere", while others mean they've read some information from a "credible scientific source". I'd take it one further and say that if you've "researched" something, you've done the study yourself (or been part of it) and have your name as an author on a scientific paper. But I would hazard that VERY FEW people would agree with my definition... 

Thank you so much; I am really excited!

I did read on the mirena website that it sometimes stops the release of your egg from the ovary, but this is not most cases.

I will give you that I could have thought of a better word than "research", but I wasn't putting much thought into it. No, obviously, I didn't do any scientific research. I was just looking on the Internet, and saw something that sparked my interest. I looked for more information and couldn't find anything else, it's easy to get caught in the moment of googling something, and as I said before, it made me curious (I sound like a broken record) and just wanted to know if this was possibly the case for anyone else. Other people were saying their doctors said that having multiples is more likely immediately after having the mirena removed bc if mirena did stop the release of an egg, then it's kind of like opening a gate and more than one will come out. This very well could be a load of crap, and I'm not gong to the dr for a few more days so it just made me wonder. Thanks again for the congratulations!

• Haha there you go
  • Mirena's primary method of action in preventing pregnancy is creating a hostile environment for sperm in the uterus and tubes with a sterile inflammatory reaction, not suppressing ovulation (like most oral contraceptives). Since it doesn't "mess with egg release", it's unlikely that recent removal would increase your risk of a twin pregnancy.... that being said, I searched the medical literature (Pubmed, UpToDate, briefly) and couldn't find a study that looked at your question. Congrats on the pregnancy: only 4 more days until you find out if it's a singleton vs multiples!!!!

Thank you so much; I am really excited! I did read on the mirena website that it sometimes stops the release of your egg from the ovary, but this is not most cases. I will give you that I could have thought of a better word than "research", but I wasn't putting much thought into it. No, obviously, I didn't do any scientific research. I was just looking on the Internet, and saw something that sparked my interest. I looked for more information and couldn't find anything else, it's easy to get caught in the moment of googling something, and as I said before, it made me curious (I sound like a broken record) and just wanted to know if this was possibly the case for anyone else. Other people were saying their doctors said that having multiples is more likely immediately after having the mirena removed bc if mirena did stop the release of an egg, then it's kind of like opening a gate and more than one will come out. This very well could be a load of crap, and I'm not gong to the dr for a few more days so it just made me wonder. Thanks again for the congratulations!
    Ovulation doesn't really work like a floodgate so yes...it sounds pretty much like a load of crap. If there was truth to that hypothesis (causation vs correlation or coincidence) I think multiples would be a heck of a lot more common than 3%, given how many women use a BC method that suppresses ovulation. 
    J13 May Siggy Challenge: People lacking in common sense raise my blood pressure.

imageimage
    DD 8/11 | DS1 7/13 | DS2 7/13
  • yeah. said:

OMG, you twit. I'm kidding.

causation =/= correlation
    I figured you were, and that is why I said "haha" before that. It was pretty obvious, but I guess it made yourself feel better to call me a twit
  • gingerkid9989gingerkid9989 member
    edited February 2014
    I love waking up to posts like this!

Lol @yeah. For using the word twit! You have made my morning.

BFP#1 4/17/2013 EDD 12/25/2013, MC 5/17/2013 8 weeks 3 days D&C 5/18/2013

BFP#2 1/20/2014 EDD 9/28/2014, Baby Evie born on 9/23/2014 at 8:50pm.  6 lbs 15 oz!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• I got pregnant 6 weeks after removal and I'm having one. My neighbor got pregnant soon after removal and is pregnant with twins, but she is a twin and her twin sister just gave birth to twins. Twins obviously run in her family.

I asked my OB if there was an increased chance of this and he told me no. I haven't done any research into this topic, other than asking my OB.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Research should be done by researchers. If you're "quoting sources" from other blogs or public forums than that isn't research, thats browsing the useless internet. Research would be browsing those mundane university published data reports, which I am almost 95% sure there are no credible studies on the correlation between an IUD removal and twins. 

I'm sorry if I have offended you by using the word "research", but maybe you should look the word up before you try to make someone feel silly for being curious of others experiences. If you would, then you would see that it says "investigation into a subject in order to discover or revise facts, THEORIES, applications, etc"

I'm sorry that you feel so bad about yourself that you get joy out of hiding behind a screen name, and trying to act like you're smarter than everyone else. Come on, it was a question on a forum. No big deal. I'm not 100% sure, but I would guess you are not a doctor. And I would also guess that of the question I asked, you have no correlation in answering it. So thanks for your opinion, but I didn't ask for it.
    Wah Wah wah

• @Brittainycaldwell - You should probably try the "Multiples" board if you'd really like an answer, this isn't the best place for your quesiton. My ultimate suggestion would be for your to lurk for another 3-4 weeks, possibly until the date of your first appt. then, once you've caught up to speed a little, try a re-introduction. It might go off a little smoother for you.

• No. No. Nope.

It's a BOY

• Oh, yeah. And she did it in a polite way too. Why wouldn't you just say "hey, I would just look into real medical research" Besides, I looked and didn't see anything. I was JUST CURIOUS. I'm not angry, just confused as to why people feel the need to express themselves in this way.
    I really don't think she was rude at all, she just didn't sugarcoat anything, which is how most people on the Bump are. We get a LOT of questions around here from people who are freaking out because they found some cockamamie "study" or article on the internet with false information and believed it. False information creates unnecessary stress, so she was actually doing you a solid by telling you to be wary of things you find on the internet (including anecdotal evidence from people in forums). 

Can I say how much I like you for using 'cockamamie'? I love that word.

"Your truth is different from my truth, and we're both right."

TTC since March 2013. BFP 4/13/13, blighted ovum discovered 6/6/13, m/c 6/8/13.

BFP 11/10/13, EDD 7/25/13 - stick little owlet!

BabyFruit Ticker

View Full Size Image

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Oh, OP - I had my Mirena taken out in 2010, I've been pregnant twice, and no twins.

"Your truth is different from my truth, and we're both right."

TTC since March 2013. BFP 4/13/13, blighted ovum discovered 6/6/13, m/c 6/8/13.

BFP 11/10/13, EDD 7/25/13 - stick little owlet!

BabyFruit Ticker

View Full Size Image

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Unfortunately I've heard of several people on here that have miscarriages when they conceive right after getting their IUD taken out. I haven't heard of people having twins. Anything is possible. 
  • Oh, yeah. And she did it in a polite way too. Why wouldn't you just say "hey, I would just look into real medical research"
    Besides, I looked and didn't see anything. I was JUST CURIOUS.

I'm not angry, just confused as to why people feel the need to express themselves in this way.

No one was being rude to you in the first place. If anything, you're the one who's coming off as rude, and a little BSC. You're going to need a longer fuse if you're going to last around here...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"