December 2013 Moms

Vent: Product parties

Does anyone else have friends/relatives who do these product type parties? Scrapbooking supplies or pampered chef or mary kay stuff or jewellery or whatever? Like, every now and then there's one that is kind of interesting, a friend had a sex toy party and that was at least entertaining (though I still didn't buy anything) but mostly I don't have much interest in going and if I do end up going because it's at least vaguely social, I feel obligated to buy something. Is it rude to just say 'i'm not really interested, thanks though!'. I don't want to let my friends down but really, not how I want to spend my free time. :-/
**Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

Re: Vent: Product parties

• Ugh. I hate these parties. I'm supposed to go to an Arbonne (or whatever it's called) party tonight.

My dad's girlfriend sells Partylite and is constantly trying to get me to buy stuff. I don't need any overpriced candles.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I know right? How many personalized lunch totes do you think I need, 31 salesperson on my FB feed? I only but stuff from kid fundraisers usually. I'm not into the other stuff.
    image  image

Lilypie - (Xzno)
    Lilypie - (WIG0)
  • NYMama1 said:

If I go I feel obligated to buy something so if I don't like the products or don't have the extra spending money then I don't go.

This. I RSVP no to these kinds of things unless I know I like the product.
    imageimageimageimage
  • When I was pregnant with DD1, a work friend threw me a shower at her house and turned it into a 31 sales pitch after I opened all my gifts. It was super awkward and tacky.
    imageimageimageimage

• When I was pregnant with DD1, a work friend threw me a shower at her house and turned it into a 31 sales pitch after I opened all my gifts. It was super awkward and tacky.

That's totally rude!

I guess she figured she had a captive audience, so it was time to bust out the product samples. I don't think anyone bought anything, so the plan backfired.
    imageimageimageimage
  • A high school acquaintance asked me to host a pure romance party... I was 37 weeks pregnant. Wtf?? Umm sorry chick I haven't spoken to in a decade.
  • The latest is all this Rodan and Fields stuff. It's all over my FB feed and more and more friends are selling it and trying to recruit. It irritates the fuck out of me. Friends and business should be kept separate IMHO. And for the love of Peter, keep it off FB.
  • I have to say I'm a sucker for scentsy but nothing else. This girl I was friends with was selling lia Sophia and I was looking at a catalog and commented on a couple things beig cute. She up and ordered the shit then when it came gave it to me and said I owe her 119$. Uhhhh no. But thanks for the jewelry. Yes I did keep it. She initially made it seem like a gift. It was like a week later she told me I needed to pay her. I haven't gone to a party for anything since.
  • If I know I like a product or something and know someone whose having a party I'll give whoever the money to buy what I want. I don't want to go sit in a room full of people I don't know and talk about products I could careless about, that are way over priced anyways. K does have a 31 diaper bag though.
  • I agree! So annoying! I get an invitation to those types of parties on FB all the time, although I get more annoyed when people invite me to join exercise groups or gyms, etc. I get those invitations way more often, and anyone who knows me knows I don't exercise.
    Daisypath - (d3qY)
    Lilypie - (ATx7)

• I went to an Origami Owl party a few months ago. I ate all the snacks, didn't buy anything, and didn't feel bad about it! (To be fair, I liked some stuff, but it didn't come in the color I wanted, and I wasn't about to drop $75 on something I didn't love.)

P.S. I also love Tastefully Simple. I have to stop myself from buying all the dip mixes because we never have people over and I do NOT need to be eating all that shiz myself! I will eat ALL the beer bread though!! :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My bachelorette party was a sex toy party. It was a lot of fun.
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Parent of Baby Boy M, born December 2013 Angels: Miscarriage @ 9 weeks, May 2015, Chemical Pregnancy November 2015

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I have a friend who sells visalus (some diet/supplement/whatever), every freaking 15 minutes she is posting something about it and excessively using hash tags. I like her and I am happy that she is happy but I am glad I don't live nearby where I would constantly be invited to the parties.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Im having a 31 party next month. H's cousin is a seller and said she would bring the snacks all I had to do was evite ppl...deal
  • The parties were popular with my friends when we were settling into our own homes, getting married, and starting careers. Now that we are mostly out of that stage, the parties are rare. Some are ready for another sex toy party. Married long enough to be bored maybe?
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Parent of Baby Boy M, born December 2013 Angels: Miscarriage @ 9 weeks, May 2015, Chemical Pregnancy November 2015

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I "sell" Scentsy and Origami Owl, but really I only signed up to get things at a discount for myself and my family members that like the products. I never post anything on Facebook and have never hosted anything more than a catalog party and I hate when people are pushy about a product.
    photo 3b8889a2-29d1-4e36-a8c8-89262b6154a2_zps44ee5850.png
  • I have to say I'm a sucker for scentsy but nothing else. This girl I was friends with was selling lia Sophia and I was looking at a catalog and commented on a couple things beig cute. She up and ordered the shit then when it came gave it to me and said I owe her 119$. Uhhhh no. But thanks for the jewelry. Yes I did keep it. She initially made it seem like a gift. It was like a week later she told me I needed to pay her. I haven't gone to a party for anything since.

Wow.
    image  image

Lilypie - (Xzno)
    Lilypie - (WIG0)
  • I have a friend that is doing body wraps. She posted a before and after pic (crappy bathroom selfies by the way) on her FB page and I do not see a difference. So not only would I prefer to stay home with my family, now I think your product sucks.
    Half of my female high school class starting selling wraps. They took over my newsfeed so I hid most of them. I agree that the before and after pictures were not very convincing. There are plenty of other things I would rather waste my money on.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The only ones I like are Stampin' Up (I like making homemade cards and I use some products for scrapbooking) and I like partylite for their tea lights. They smell so yummy! But I maybe need to buy candles once a year. And same with stampin up. A coworker is a seller for stampin up so I just order online and select her as my "dealer". No parties needed! And at least with those parties you get to make a couple cards! And she doesn't care if you buy. Lots of girls from my work go and just make cards and eat food! But ya a lot of those "home stuff" ones you end up buying shit you don't need. Oh wait. One more I like. Epicure. Their lemon dilly dip mix is yummy! But again - I just order that online!
  • I've gone and not bought anything. I tell them before hand and they still say come and hang out, so I go. I did go to a Tupperware party last spring and that was fun!
  • I hate them. I hate them all!
  • I sell Jamberry, but really just to friends and family. I haven't hosted a party and I mostly post to my Facebook business page and try to keep it off my personal page.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"