May 2014 Moms
Options

Doula Interview

Decided to take the plunge and hire a doula. I found someone online who is still available and looks like she'd be a good fit so we're meeting her tonight. Those that have hired doulas - how did you decide on one? What do you think are the most important questions to ask and qualities to look for?

Re: Doula Interview

• Options
    Ask how long she's been doing this. Ask what her philosophy/belief about birth is. That will bring out the crazy usually if it's there. Who she did her training through. Honestly when we hired ours I hired who we clicked with the best. I found them all through doula match and only called the ones who met my "requirements" based on their profiles. The one we hired last time (and who will be with us this time) had a ton of nifty handouts and worksheets. How many prenatal appointments does she do? What does it entail? How many postpartum visits? What do those entail? Ask for a copy of her contract.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    How long has she been practicing?  How many other women is she currently helping/working for? Will she be available at all hours? How far is she from your birthing center/hospital?  Does she seem strict? or more flexible and will work with you? 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Make sure she is about helping you have your experience not projecting hers or her birth beliefs on you. She should be supportive of your choices even if they include getting an epidural.
  • Options
    Honestly, I hired the first one we met with.  She came to our house (big deal for me!) and had my dates opened and came highly recommended.  I had tried to make a few other appointments that resulted in a couple of debacles - i.e. me driving across town in the rain only to have her call and say she was in a birth after I had already gotten to her location, me driving 2 hours and not being able to find the place, etc. - and I was just so DONE with the whole process that she seemed good so I hired her.

I think everything has pretty well been covered...make sure she will support your birthing preferences and not just promote her own; make sure she has a back-up in case she has another birth;  ask her how many births she schedules in a given time; fees; etc.

IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
    2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
    BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
    Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
    BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:
  • Options

Best thing is personality---you are inviting her into one of the most intimate and important moments of her life. Make sure you like her but also that DH/partner really, really likes her too...since they will be a team. It doesn't really matter what her birth philosophy is as long as she supports your plan. ya know?

Also-ask how many births she takes per month 3-4 is considered full-time and if she has a back-up and if you can meet her back up just in case...also ask how many times she has had to call on her backup.

• Options
    I think everyone has covered it so far for what I asked. We were going to interview another one but we both liked her right away and so I called her the next day. You defiantly want to be comfortable with that person! :-) good luck!
    image Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I'm going to piggyback on this thread instead of creating another one. What do y'all suggest if DH feels threatened by her? He made the comment "then why do I need to be there?" Regarding the birth.
    In memory of the angel babies that were too perfect for Earth.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions! The interview went awesome, pretty sure she's The One so now we just need to look over the contract and put in our deposit. :)

@sopsongbird One of the reasons I decided I wanted a doula is to help support DH so you could present that angle to him. Obviously there's a lot of focus on the mother and baby during birth so it sounds like fathers can get lost in the shuffle and forget to eat, drink, rest etc. until they're physically spent and passing out. The doula is there to support us as a couple through the process so that we both have an amazing birthing experience. Not replace him, help support him. Hopefully some BTDT moms will have some experience to share on that but that's how I presented it as a FTM.
  • Options
    I also asked my doula about her own birth experiences; I figured that would give me the best indication of what her personal viewpoint was.
    @sopsongbird, my husband was not totally sold at first, but now he sings her praises to everyone. She really helped him stay focused on me, and not freak out about the process.
  • Options
    Luckyu317Luckyu317 member
    edited February 2014
    We didn't have a doula when DS was born, but I have a Random question just out of curiosity: how much are doulas? Is it something that you can put through to insurance? This thread just made me wonder.

*eta: I googled them in our area. Just wondering if rates are similar, or if it varies in what services they provide.
  • Options
    Our doula helped my husband have a role in the birth. She would offer him suggestions as to how to support me and also gave him breaks so he could eat, go to the bathroom etc. my husband sings her praises!
  • Options
    Is she familiar with the place you'll be delivering at?  Any quirks she can share with you - being familiar with the facility practices will be a great advantage for you.
    imageimageimage VOTE on my Name List     
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Luckyu317 said:
    We didn't have a doula when DS was born, but I have a Random question just out of curiosity: how much are doulas? Is it something that you can put through to insurance? This thread just made me wonder. *eta: I googled them in our area. Just wondering if rates are similar, or if it varies in what services they provide.

My insurance doesn't cover doula services but you could definitely check with yours to see if it's more liberal. The doula fees in my area seem to vary from $500-$1,000 depending on experience. Our doula has 4 years of experience and has attended 100+ births. She's certified and is also a hypnobirthing instructor. With the placenta encapsulation it'll cost us about $900. That also includes 2-3 prenatal visits and any appointments I'd like my doula to attend with me.

My area is relatively HCOL though so you may have less expensive options depending on where you live. Doulamatch.net is a great site where you can search based on criteria, that's where we found ours.

• Options
    JAM85JAM85 member
    edited February 2014
    Most people have already covered the good specific questions. We interviewed 2- the first I didn't mesh with because she was flighty, we met in her husbands office that was a mess, and she just honestly didn't seem grounded enough for the steady support I was looking for despite having over 70 live births. The second was great- she had handouts already for me, a copy of the contract, answered all my questions and DH's question as we both went to the interviews, and she was very specific about what she provided and that she was there to be a support especially for DH to be able to know how to best support me. she was organized, grounded, and we clicked so we went with her. She also knows a lot of the staff at the hospital I will be birthing at and is very familiar with their practices. I wish she did placenta bundling though that would be awesome! Total with placenta encapsulation and her it is $1100 but I knew this going in and we are taking that from savings.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!  I'll e-mail her and ask her for some details that I can provide to DH, hopefully he'll be on board!
    In memory of the angel babies that were too perfect for Earth.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"