November 2013 Moms

Returning bumper *UPDATE*

edited February 2014 in November 2013 Moms
I forgot my password to my old sign-on.. Go figure. My old name was desiree1988, I didn't post a bunch, but I do have a question for you ladies.

I think my LO is teething. The last 4 days has been nonstop fussiness, drooling, nawing on fingers, and sleepless nights. I already called the pedi, bc I don't want to keep giving tylenol if teething isn't the problem. Anyone else have a teething baby? He will be 4 months on the 11th.

UPDATE

Took him to the doc and he is teething! They told me tylenol is ok bc they can't get Motrin till they are 6mths, and to use teething tabs. His ears are clear, and everything else looked and sounded great! Thank you everyone for the support!

Re: Returning bumper *UPDATE*

• I am the same with @shanbp my LO drools constantly and loves his hands but not teething yet.  Which I am grateful because I heard the longer he can wait and get teeth the better they will be when he gets older (don't know if thats a old tale or not)
  • edited February 2014

shanbp said:

My LO drools and chews his hands constantly, but I don't think he is teething yet.

This. Also - "keep" giving Tylenol?  Did you ask your pedi first?  Did LO seem like he was in pain?

I only give it when he seems totally uncomfortable and inconsolable, but he's only gotten it once a day(at max). He is hardcore chomping, which is what makes me think it's teething.
  • Loading the player...
  • DD did all of that for 8 months before a tooth ever popped through.
  • My son has been gnawing and sucking on his fingers and fists, drooling and putting everything in his mouth for a month and I haven't seen a tooth yet. He loves it when I rub his gums with a warm, soft wash cloth. But I think he would love it if I picked him up by his tongue too. He's obsessed with his mouth. =)

I wouldn't be giving Tylenol unless my pedi told me for sure he thought it was a tooth and it would be ok. Doesn't sound like you are abusing the Tylenol, but it's likely not a tooth just yet.
  • Andplusalso,

Welcome back!
  • No it seems to be more then just a love for his hands, or mouth. There also is no fever. I've only been giving the tylenol bc he seems uncomfortable not bc he's fussy(I promise). I don't like giving him anything med wise unless he needs it.
  • I won't do the tylenol again till I hear from them. He was refusing to nurse on Tuesday, unless I was catching him right out of his nap. He would start to nurse and let go and cry like something was hurting. It's not thrush(we've had that once already), I know what that looks like(and how he acting during that was different).
  • I remember you! *waves HI!*

Sophia has been fussy, drooly, restless at night the past few nights...but no fever. I chalked it up to early teething as well, but since no fever? No Tylenol.

Good luck and welcome back!

#LOLFITMAMA
  • I hope the doc calls you back soon.  It's really disconcerting when they refuse to nurse, I know.  Good luck!

Thank you, I do too!
  • Thank you for the welcome back! It's just hard to get on here, as you all know lol.
  • Thank you for the welcome back! It's just hard to get on here, as you all know lol.
    Heard that. I'm only back since I went back to work a few weeks ago. I was pretty MIA during my 12 weeks of leave.

#LOLFITMAMA
  • My next step is freezing breast milk and putting it in a mesh feeder to see if that helps. I just can't stand seeing him so uncomfortable!
  • Ok the doc called back. They said it could very well be teething, and that I'm doing everything that I can since he's so young. Made an appointment for the AM to have his ears checked incase it might be an ear infection as well. Thank you ladies for all the responses!
  • SJacques7 said:

My LO is 16 weeks and he has a tooth popping through. Have you checked lo's gums? I let him chew on my finger. He doesn't seem to like teethers, yet.

I've tried teethers and he doesn't care for them much. I do let him naw on my finger and he really bites down. He'll even bite down on the breast when he's eating. I know teething happens with every baby, but if that's all it is with him it's really taking it's toll!
  • SJacques7 said:

My LO is 16 weeks and he has a tooth popping through. Have you checked lo's gums? I let him chew on my finger. He doesn't seem to like teethers, yet.

I've tried teethers and he doesn't care for them much. I do let him naw on my finger and he really bites down. He'll even bite down on the breast when he's eating. I know teething happens with every baby, but if that's all it is with him it's really taking it's toll!
  • I do t have any advice for teething beyond what has been given, but GL! And I wanted to say hello again! I think I remember your SN from before. :)
    Anniversary
  • tjheld said:
    I am the same with @shanbp my LO drools constantly and loves his hands but not teething yet.  Which I am grateful because I heard the longer he can wait and get teeth the better they will be when he gets older (don't know if thats a old tale or not)
    Adult teeth tend to follow the same pattern as baby teeth.  If a child gets their baby teeth early they are more likely to get their adult teeth early.  The "better" teeth reference probably came around because parents tend to give over teeth cleaning duties before a child is ready.  Hence the adult teeth of early teethers may end up in worse shape. (This is what I learned in hygiene school. I didn't see stats on it.)

Andplusalso. I'm going to mention once again that babies aren't born with the bacteria that cause tooth decay. The bacteria is passed from parents/siblings/caregivers/etc. that share utensils/food.   I guess my point is I recommend you not follow Alicia Silverstone's mama bird methods when feeding your LO.

I think I'd be happy if LO held off to a year to get teeth. He has the worst latch ever and I have given up on correcting it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"