TTC After a Loss 6 Months+

Appt Update

Hi ladies. Just wanted to provide an update about our appt yesterday, as well as ask a question.
Everything is pretty much the same with me. All tests related to RPL as well as infertility show absolutely nothing. I did show low on vitamin D, and some liver and kidney numbers came back low, but my RE said to just follow up with PCP.

I was quite surprised to hear results of DHs S.A. Count was 12million, motility 50 percent and morphology 4 percent. So, I guess the count and morph is low. The nurse did say that the wash during IUI would essentially help that. Is that correct?

So, the plan we had come up with, pending test results, was medicated IUI. That is the what we'll stick with (follitism and ovidrel)
The question that I forgot to ask is if low morph potentially could have contributed to our losses. Any idea?
We also found out that our insurance pays nothing past diagnostic, so we're all OOP for monitoring and IUI.

4 Losses (2003, 2008, Apr 2012, & Oct 2012)
All RPL and IF testing with multiple REs = normal

5 IUIs = BFN

All AL are welcome
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Appt Update

• Glad to hear everything is "normal" for the most part. Even though sometimes that frustrates me because I just want answers.

As far as the wash goes, our RE told us the same thing. DH's numbers were okay to begin with, but the IUI/wash definitely won't hurt anything. GL with all of these upcoming steps.

At my RE's office IUIs OOP are in the neighborhood of $500. I don't know if that is pretty standard or not, but hopefully it will be reasonable for you. Sorry to hear that insurance won't be helping out.
    TTC Our Rainbow Since May 2011

BFP#1 9/9/12 -- EDD 5/14/13 -- MMC 10/10/12 Miso 10/19/12

BFP #2 9/17/13 -- EDD 5/25/14-- CP confirmed 9/21/13
     BFP #3
    2/1/14 -- EDD 10/5/14 -- NMC 2/10/14

Dx: low progesterone & mild hypothyroidism

My Chart

4e41feae2813d8779361f4b4a13b4b 1

~*~All AL Welcome~*~

• Glad to hear everything is "normal" for the most part. Even though sometimes that frustrates me because I just want answers.

As far as the wash goes, our RE told us the same thing. DH's numbers were okay to begin with, but the IUI/wash definitely won't hurt anything. GL with all of these upcoming steps.

At my RE's office IUIs OOP are in the neighborhood of $500. I don't know if that is pretty standard or not, but hopefully it will be reasonable for you. Sorry to hear that insurance won't be helping out.

Is that your price for monitoring and everything? Not including meds, we're looking at about 2k each cycle

5 IUIs = BFN

All AL are welcome

• Loading the player...
  •  
    Glad to hear everything is "normal" for the most part. Even though sometimes that frustrates me because I just want answers.

Is that your price for monitoring and everything? Not including meds, we're looking at about 2k each cycle
    That's not counting meds or DH's wash. The meds differ depending on what you're getting I suppose. DH's wash at our office is around $125 OOP.
    TTC Our Rainbow Since May 2011

BFP#1 9/9/12 -- EDD 5/14/13 -- MMC 10/10/12 Miso 10/19/12

BFP #2 9/17/13 -- EDD 5/25/14-- CP confirmed 9/21/13
     BFP #3
    2/1/14 -- EDD 10/5/14 -- NMC 2/10/14

Dx: low progesterone & mild hypothyroidism

My Chart

4e41feae2813d8779361f4b4a13b4b 1

~*~All AL Welcome~*~

• In glad you have a plan going forward. My exH has low motility, morphology, and numbers among other issues. The RE we had at the time recommended IUI with a sperm wash because of the bad SA.

I'm not sure if low morph can indicate a quality issue. It stands to reason but I would check with your RE. Is your DH taking any supplements? Someone on TTC+35 posted on her blog about the sups her H is taking - I think her name is IFinTN (sorry mobile - I'll give you a link later).

The day the Bump died - Jasper is wise
  • RachaeleighRachaeleigh member
    edited February 2014
    rel="snegde">Glad you have a plan! When should AF show up?

Im 7dpo today. We won't start until next month bc we leave for vacation next week!

5 IUIs = BFN

All AL are welcome

• buggirl72 said:

In glad you have a plan going forward. My exH has low motility, morphology, and numbers among other issues. The RE we had at the time recommended IUI with a sperm wash because of the bad SA.

I'm not sure if low morph can indicate a quality issue. It stands to reason but I would check with your RE. Is your DH taking any supplements? Someone on TTC+35 posted on her blog about the sups her H is taking - I think her name is IFinTN (sorry mobile - I'll give you a link later).

He does take a multi vitamin but just told me that he ordered a different, fertility related one. Way to go DH for being proactive.
    He also takes maca powder and spirulia (sp?) Daily.

5 IUIs = BFN

All AL are welcome

• Glad you got some answers at your appointment. Do you know if they used the strict criteria for the SA? If it's strict anything over 4% is considered normal. Also, they only take 100 sperm to analyze so it's not super scientific. You could get a repeat SA to see if the results are the same in a few months.

Ky29 on 3T and TTCAL would be a great person to ask. Her diagnosis is similar to yours, and knows a ton about MFI. Also there were a few other ladies on 3T who took supplements to improve their numbers but I don't know what they were.

As for miscarriages, I have read mixed things about morph being the cause. 

Where are you going on vacation? Have fun!

"It's, not, where you are, it's where you're going,
    And it's, not, about the things you've done, it's what you're doing, now"

TTC Journey Began 8/12
    BFP #1 11/9/12, MMC/D&C 12/21/12 @ 9w2d, EDD 7/24/13
    SAs: 2%-3% Morph - RE Official Diagnosis
    Unexplained
     BFN = IUI #1 (Clomid) | IUI #2 (Letrozole) 
    BFP #2 4/19/14 = IUI #3 (Letrozole)
    Expecting Our Elf 12/27/14
    ~All Welcome~

• jenkellen said:

Glad you got some answers at your appointment. Do you know if they used the strict criteria for the SA? If it's strict anything over 4% is considered normal. Also, they only take 100 sperm to analyze so it's not super scientific. You could get a repeat SA to see if the results are the same in a few months.

Ky29 on 3T and TTCAL would be a great person to ask. Her diagnosis is similar to yours, and knows a ton about MFI. Also there were a few other ladies on 3T who took supplements to improve their numbers but I don't know what they were.

As for miscarriages, I have read mixed things about morph being the cause. 

Where are you going on vacation? Have fun!
    Im not sure about criteria, Ill ask next time!
    I just posted on 3T, so hopefully some ladies will respond.
    We're going to Miami and the keys...can't wait

5 IUIs = BFN

All AL are welcome

• No advice on whether low morph can affect quality, but I'm glad you have a plan moving forward. Did your RE suggest any supplements he can take, like CoQ10, Tourine, Vitamin C, etc?

TTC since April 2012

BFP #1, 10/03/2012 - EDD 6/15/2013 - MMC 11/15/2012 - D&C 01/04/2013

BFP #2, 04/06/2013 - EDD 12/17/2013 - MC 04/19/2013

6/12/2013 Diagnosed with Balanced Translocation (12 & 16)

IVF #1 with PGS: 10/2013: Canceled 9/27/2013 for issues with genetic lab

IVF #1.5 with PGS: 11/16/2013: Canceled. 11 eggs retrieved, 9 mature & 9 fertilized, all unhealthy embryos

IVF #2: 1/22/14: Canceled. 16 eggs retrieved, 14 mature, 7 fertilized, all unhealthy embryos

IVF #3 with PGS: 5/10/2014: Switched to FET in July. 10 eggs retrieved, 9 mature, 8 fertilized, 2 healthy embryos!

FET #1: 7/31/2014: Transferred 2 nearly perfect (6AA, 6BA) healthy embryos- BFFN

Laproscopy: 10/2014: Healthy uterus

IVF #4: 12/8/2014: Canceled. 17 eggs retrieved, 15 mature, 10 fertilized, all unhealthy embryos

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Everyone welcome on my posts

• No advice on whether low morph can affect quality, but I'm glad you have a plan moving forward. Did your RE suggest any supplements he can take, like CoQ10, Tourine, Vitamin C, etc?

Not at all. When I asked her she said that "all the things I was already doing," meaning acupuncture and meditation, would be helpful.

5 IUIs = BFN

All AL are welcome

• I'm sorry that all the testing didn't give you  many answers, that must be frustrating. But I'm glad that your RE is putting a plan in place and I hope it goes well moving forward. That sucks about having to pay OOP though, hopefully it's not too pricey.

Have a fabulous vacation!
    Started TTC June 2010
    BFP #1
    07/04/10. EDD 03/14/11. Missed m/c 08/09/10. D&C 09/27/10. }Casey & Jaimie{
    BFP #2 01/14/11. EDD 09/25/11. Missed m/c 02/18/11. D&C 02/24/11. }Dustin{
    TTA for 18 months and then TTC for 12 months
    BFP #3 08/18/13. EDD 04/30/14. Missed m/c 09/25/13. D&C 09/26/13. }Daylin{
    TTA for 7 months
    Jan-Mar 2014 - RPL, SHG, karotyping: all results normal
    TTC Again May 2014
    Progesterone & baby aspirin combo for 5 cycles
    - All BFN's
    SA with DNA fragmentation = Perfect results

Diagnostic cycle monitoring = Polycystic ovaries leading to premature egg release
    TTA Oct 2014 - Jan 2015
    Jan 2015 - Medicated cycle with timed intercourse
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic   

My Blog: The Canadian Housewife    PGAL/PAL Welcome    My Chart
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I don't really have advice but wanted to say have fun on your vacation!
    BFP @ 1/26/13 - Natural M/C @ 2/16/13 
    All AL welcome!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Hi ladies. Just wanted to provide an update about our appt yesterday, as well as ask a question. Everything is pretty much the same with me. All tests related to RPL as well as infertility show absolutely nothing. I did show low on vitamin D, and some liver and kidney numbers came back low, but my RE said to just follow up with PCP. I was quite surprised to hear results of DHs S.A. Count was 12million, motility 50 percent and morphology 4 percent. So, I guess the count and morph is low. The nurse did say that the wash during IUI would essentially help that. Is that correct? So, the plan we had come up with, pending test results, was medicated IUI. That is the what we'll stick with (follitism and ovidrel) The question that I forgot to ask is if low morph potentially could have contributed to our losses. Any idea? We also found out that our insurance pays nothing past diagnostic, so we're all OOP for monitoring and IUI.
    ****sig warning****

About the morph . . . I was told 4% was considered normal (sounds crazy, I know).  My partner I was also told that of all the parameters, morph is the most controversial and also the most difficult to measure, in that it is somewhat subjective (some normal sperm look pear shaped if viewed from the wrong angle, for example). You might look into putting your man on FertilAid for Men (with the blessing of your RE, of course), but my RE supported that plan and it did seem to help with volume and his overall numbers. Unlike FertilAid for Women, I think the men's blend doesn't have any ingredients that monkey with hormones, just amino acids and b vitamins (but you might double check, my memory is not stellar). 
    Me: 36 yo, TTC #1 since Feb. 2012
    BFP #1, 3/12, EDD 11/9/12, MMC 3/27/12, D&C 4/10/12

BFP #2: 11/16/12, EDD 7/25/13, MMC 12/5/12, D&C 12/6/12, Complete molar pregnancy confirmed 2/9/13, benched for 6 months until  August 2013

IUI #1, 8/16/13 Femara + Menopur, 3 mature follicles, BFN
    IUI #2 (back-to-back, 9/12/13 and 9/13/13) Femara + Menopur, four mature follicles, BFFN
    IUI #3, 10/8/13 Femara + Menopur, six mature follicles, BFN

BFP #3, 12/9/2013, while on treatment break, EDD: 8/22/2014  Please stick and grow, LO!

Additional Dx: hypothyroidism, TgAb positive & anti-TPO positive, POR/DOR (2/2013), and suspected endometriosis

******All AL always welcome******

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"