Baby Showers

2nd baby shower for twins?

Hi there. I'm only 7 weeks but we found out last week we are having twins! A couple close friends have mentioned they want to throw me a sprinkle or small shower. I had a baby shower with DD who is now almost 19 months.

I have always thought (and I know you guys do too) that 2nd showers are tacky, especially so soon after the first, but are the "rules" different when you are expecting twins after a singleton? I kept all of DD's stuff (clothes are girly but gear is gender neutral) but that only covers one baby. Be honest, I can handle it! My gut is telling me to let them host a small sprinkle with just friends at someone's house or somewhere super casual, but wanted to get all of your opinions. Thanks!

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

BFP#1: 11/20/11, EDD 7/25/12, Emily Iris arrived 7/29/12 at 7 lb., 3.5 oz.

BFP#2: 8/25/13, EDD 5/4/14, MMC confirmed on 9/23/13, D&C on 9/26/13

BFP#3: 2/3/14, EDD 10/15/14, fraternal TWINS confirmed 2/21/14, two BOYS confirmed on 4/15/14!

Re: 2nd baby shower for twins?

• If it is just a few super close friends I'd accept. If I was your close friend I'd happily attend.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I hate the "invite everyone we know" concept anyways! Even with DD I insisted the invites were to people who would be a part of her life (ended up being about 30 people which was perfect!). My bridal shower was big as was our wedding and it made me uncomfortable to receive presents from people who I only knew through the IL's (they insisted on inviting their friends).

BabyFruit Ticker

BFP#3: 2/3/14, EDD 10/15/14, fraternal TWINS confirmed 2/21/14, two BOYS confirmed on 4/15/14!

• Twins is not a "game changer" in my book. Definitely not an excuse to get gift grabby. If your friends want to give you a gift because they're excited about your twins, they will. No tacky shower on your part required.

Politely decline.
  • I agree with PP's that the point of a shower is to welcome a woman into motherhood - NOT to get gifts. So in that respect, twins are no reason to have a second shower.

However, I also agree with PP's that your closest friends are going to want to see your belly and celebrate the twins. If your friends offer, I'd accept but only if the get together was a small party at a home with no formal invites, no registry, etc. and just very very close friends. don't label it as a sprinkle, shower, or other....just have a wine and cheese party (or tea and cupcakes, or whatever). I think even this is walking a fine line between tacky and not, but if it were my friend I would want to see her and celebrate the uniqueness of having twins.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Congrats on your twins! If your family and close friends want to have a sprinkle I don't think it's a bad idea. I do think second showers are tacky but this is a little different and I would attend if you were a friend of mine. You're really going to need some twin things that singletons don't! :)
  • The official answer is to decline, as pp said showers are to welcome you into motherhood, you have already been welcomed.  

I will say for me personally though while I side-eye almost all second showers, I wouldn't be bothered if I was invited to a small second shower for twins.  
  • I'd happily go to a small shower/sprinkle in this case, and really enjoy picking out a cute gift for the twins! I bet your close friends and family would too.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks everyone! I think I will politely decline but if they insist I will tell them to keep it small and just for close friends...maybe a brunch or something.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Have the shower-keep it small and invite only close friends. I would attend happily. What wonderful news!
  • With our first, I think that we got as many (or maybe more) gifts from people that didn't attend the shower than did.  It was really nice too when a friend would stop by or meet me for lunch/coffee/whatever to give us a gift too -- Mostly because I really enjoyed being able to sit and talk to each friend (rather than bouncing around at the shower), but it also let me spread out thank yous, etc..  Even if you don't have a "shower," I think that friends that want to get the twins outfits or something else will still do it. 

imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"