December 2012 Moms

Fever after antibiotics??

A few weeks ago my daughter was diagnosed with an ear infection at an Urgent Care. (We're traveling for the winter and that's all we had access to.) She was prescribed an antibiotic which we consulted with our pediatrition about over the phone. I'm a holistic nutrtionist and wanted to ensure that we used the antibiotic as a last resort. Our pediatrition suggested we wait a few days to see if her immune system would knock out the infection on its on. One night DDs fever stopped responding to meds and I decided it was time to bring out the antibiotic. Her fever disappeared within 48 hours and she seemed to recover well. Fast forward ten days; she's been off the antibiotic for 24hrs and her fever has returned, though is responding to Advil for now. Has anyone else dealt with this? What ended up happening? I'm so scared and exhausted with this whole thing.
Me (25) DH (33) BFP #1 on cycle #4: 2/7/12 - M/C 2/26/12 BFP #2 on cycle #1: 4/3/12 - DD born 12/18/12

Re: Fever after antibiotics??

• What antibiotic was she on?  My DD was on one that stayed working and showed full results after  days from the last dose.  

We Made A Wish....

And You Came True!

• What antibiotic was she on?  My DD was on one that stayed working and showed full results after  days from the last dose.  

Interesting... She was on amoxicillin .

Me (25) DH (33) BFP #1 on cycle #4: 2/7/12 - M/C 2/26/12 BFP #2 on cycle #1: 4/3/12 - DD born 12/18/12
  • Loading the player...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DD failed two antibiotics the last ear infection and it took a third before the ear infection finally cleared... I wasn't thrilled about all the antibiotics, but her doctor was adamant it wasn't viral (it was weird and cleared in one ear in the middle of all of it but started up in the other ear while still on the second antibiotic...). I don't know. I was never real thrilled with the pedi, and we are switching to a new one starting with her 15 month wellness check next month as long as nothing comes up sooner. Her ear infection did clear up within 48 hours of starting the third antibiotic though and stayed gone. You might want to get her in for a recheck to make sure its actually gone. DD's pedi routinely did a recheck 2-3 weeks after diagnosing it just to make sure it was gone. I know several people on this board have had multiple failed antibiotics this season with ear infections...

Oh god. What a nightmare. I agree about not being thrilled with the idea of multiple rounds of antibiotics... I think the fear is that you don't want them to end up antibiotic resistant if they ever contracted something life threatening! (That's not to mention the number they do on gut health.)

I agree that we need to have her checked again. I think we are going to cut our trip short and get her home to our pediatrician, verses seeing more questionable clinic practitioners out here. If she DOES need to be on multiple rounds of antibiotics, I want it to be under the supervision of someone I trust.

Sigh. So stressful!

• Does she have any other symptoms? That exact situation happened to us but it turned out to be fifth's disease. The antibiotic helped the ear infection but she still had  the viral part so it had to run its course. If your dd has a viral component, the antibiotic won't help. Or you could still be dealing with an infection that needs a different antibiotic. I hope she feels better!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @jackiemxoxo, that is what I was thinking.  Maybe fifth's disease.

We Made A Wish....

And You Came True!

• Does she have any other symptoms? That exact situation happened to us but it turned out to be fifth's disease. The antibiotic helped the ear infection but she still had  the viral part so it had to run its course. If your dd has a viral component, the antibiotic won't help. Or you could still be dealing with an infection that needs a different antibiotic. I hope she feels better!

She doesn't seem to have other symptoms beyond being fussy with the fever. So far she's not pulling her ears like she was before (so far). I have no experience with fifth's disease... What does that entail? Thanks for the insight!
  • fifth's disease symptoms are a high fever and cold like symptoms and then a rash appears later. The rash can appear all over them but usually a tell tale sign is red cheeks (looks like slapped cheek rash). It goes away on its own but it causes lo to feel like crap for awhile. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • fifth's disease symptoms are a high fever and cold like symptoms and then a rash appears later. The rash can appear all over them but usually a tell tale sign is red cheeks (looks like slapped cheek rash). It goes away on its own but it causes lo to feel like crap for awhile. 

Interesting. Thanks! She actually does have a rash but we thought it was a reaction to the antibiotic because apparently that's common... I'll definetely ask the person who looks at her today to try to decipher what kind of a rash we have going.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"