Stay at Home Moms

pooping on the potty

How did you get your kid to poop on the potty?

I think we are about awake pee trained. He tells me when he needs to go but he will hold his poop till he gets a diaper (so nap time or bed time) or he poops in his underwear.

Is there something more I need to be doing? or will he just get it one day?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: pooping on the potty

• My kids were easy.  They had a "poop face."  I would rush them and put them on the potty and they'd go.  It only took a week of that and they'd run to the bathroom themselves.
  • DD1 just surprised me and did it one day. She was off and on about it. Sometimes she felt comfortable and sometimes she didn't until recently. Now she goes all the time and tells me if she wants to hold my hand while she goes when she is scared. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Now that I think about it, the time she started going was right around the time we started to dump her poop from her diapers in the toilet in front of her. That could have helped her catch on to the concept but I don't really know. 
  • we bribed him, with Monster Trucks he really wanted.. took about a week to fully get it and haven't looked back since
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Maternity tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • It's a mystery to me! DD only ever poops at night or during nap, that's it. We're potty trained pee-wise, but there still hasn't been a single poop on the potty because she's never awake when she has to go! I'm just going to wait and see what happens... I'm not bothered by it *shrug* 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• DD1 used to wait for nap or bedtime and use her diaper for the longest time. Then one day she just used the potty, she was just ready. No amount of promised reward would convince her before then. DD2 will ask for a diaper or pull up now. I encourage her to go on the potty, but it hasn't happened yet.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

C  7.16.2008 | L  11.12.2010 | A  3.18.2013

• We went cold turkey without diapers.  For a while there was a big fuss, a lot of sitting on the potty for half a second and getting up (and repeating 5 times before he would actually go). He liked to put a pillow over his lap when he pooped in his diaper so I just took the pillows until he went. 
    TTC since September '08 After 2 m/c - lap for stage 3-4 endo Oct '09 Bravelle w/Ovidrel trigger - iui on 11/07 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Looking for the magic solution as well. N is 3 and still won't poop on the potty. He can; he just won't. He also waits and holds it until he gets his bedtime diaper. Then he waits until we leave the room (we've tried to catch him) and poops. Then yells for us to come change his diaper. When we suggest he poop in the toilet instead, he just says, "No, I'll poop in my diaper and you can change it." I even tried to ditch the diaper, but he's still too little and needs it at night or everything is peed on.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • DS1 was a die-hard diaper pooper for awhile after he was pee-trained. The way we got him to attempt pooping without one was having him sit on the potty, not the toilet. He couldn't hold it in, and was actually quite excited he had done it. I think he pooped once more on the pooty, and then moved to the toilet.

DS2 luckily potty trained during the summer, so he played outside w no pants, and I kept the potty nearby. I think he had one or two poops in his undies before he got the hang of it (but he was crazy easy to PT, FWIW). I kept an eye on him after meals and snacks so I knew when to
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• I am having the hardest time with this. DS will be 3 in march. He has been completely pee trained since like august! He will not poop on the potty (neither the toliet or his little potty) Like hes never done it. He will sit on there but he wont go. He stands to pee so even getting him to sit is a process.  
    Iv tried everything. Seriously. The other day I told him I would buy him a real race car. Nothing.
  • Ugh, HELP ME! In regards to my twins: she got up one day and wanted underwear. Never looked back. It was like she trained herself. My son has been hard! He is almost 3.5, and we are still having daily accidents. He has pooped in the potty twice. Other than that? Underwear is apparently free game. He pooped at the gym today, at school yesterday. Oh, and peed his pants today as well. I am at a loss. HELP!

My twins are making me nuts too. One boy potty trained on his own, day and night. The other will pee in the potty if I put him on it but won't go on his own. He still wears a pull-up b/c he will poop in underwear. I'm so frustrated :( They turned 4 in Jan.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"