Baby Names
Options

Girl Name - "Ines" - WDYT?

A little background - My husband is Hispanic and my two son's names are Carlos David (nn Charlie) and Samuel Orlando (nn Sammy). We have tentatively settled on "Sara Ines" for our baby girl but plan to call her by her middle name "Ines" (nn Nessie). We would pronounce it ee-ness. What are your thoughts?

My g-mother's name is Agnes, which is Ines in Spanish. I have always liked the name in Spanish since it is not too common but not a made-up name either. However, now I am second guessing it! 

I am worried that it will be hard for my non-spanish speaking family to pronounce correctly.  I am also worried that it could be turned into "anus" or "penis" on the school playground do to variants of pronunciations. Does it sound too old? 

I would prefer to use Ines as a first name but have yet to come up with a good middle name that goes with Ines. Ines just seems to fit better in the mn position. Sara is a family name on both sides, as well hence why we chose it.

Thanks in advance for all your input!

Re: Girl Name - "Ines" - WDYT?

• Options
    nittanyllamanittanyllama member
    edited February 2014
    I admit I'm not really familiar with Ines, but I would have pronounced it in-nez. 

I'm also not the biggest fan of planning to call a baby by the middle name. Will you want her to go by Sara at school? Or Ines/Nessie there too? I kind of think if you plan to only call her Ines, you should name her Ines. 

[Or Agnes, I actually think Agnes is adorable! And Agnes would probably be easier for people to pronounce. You could still call her Nessie. Many people will have heard of Agnes on a little girl because of Despicable Me.]

Ines Katherine
    Ines Daphne
    Ines Felicity
    Ines Felicia
    Ines Juliet
    Ines Lucia
    Ines Vivian

DS born Oct. '11

TTC #2 with PCOS since Nov. '13

Dx: Low Progesterone (3.3) on 8/12/14

Waiting for RE appointment on 10/28/14

Surprise BFP on cycle 12 -- 10/19/14!

EDD July 1, 2015

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Gorgeous name! Don't worry about teasing. There's no way to tease-proof a name.

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I love it, but I would say it like eye-nez, so I guess that makes me a lame-o.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Options

I love it, but I would say it like eye-nez, so I guess that makes me a lame-o.

I like it, and this is the pronunciation I've grown up with because my mom's mom was Inez, which we pronouced Eye-Nez.

TTC #1 since 11/2012
    Me-31, H-27
    **Loss 1-Cycle 7(June 2013) at 5w6d-CP**Loss 2-Cycle 11(October 2013) at 5w4d-CP**
    **Loss 3-Cycle 14 (January-February 2014)-M/C dx 2/10, EP dx 2/24, MTX 2/25**
    Beta Hell--hCG finally down to 0 - 6/20/14
    SA normal. Genetic testing normal. Hormonal testing normal.
    HSG 6/30/14 - found blocked left tube and 2 'bubbles' on uterine wall.
    Hysteroscopy/Lap--8/4/14 - Tubes unblocked. Polyps removed from uterine wall. Septum removed.
     9/30/14--Off the bench! Unmedicated TI through December 2014
    BFP 12/14/14!!! Beta #1, 12/16: 990 Beta #2, 12/18: Over 2000! Beta #3, 12/22: over 8000!
     U/S #1, 12/23: gestational sac, possible heartbeat
    U/S #2, 12/30: HEARTBEAT! 128bpm, measuring right on at 7w EDD: 8/19/2015
    U/S #3, 1/9: BPM in the 180s, IT'S HAPPENING!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Wow! Thanks for all the comments. 

I, too, am hesitant to name her Ines as the middle name since I really would rather call her Ines than Sara. (Sara just seems too common for my taste) But, I know many people who go by their middle names and their first names are used only for passports and other official documents. They say it is no big deal...I really dont know?!

I am glad to hear that the teasing may or may not be an issue...and to just not worry about it. I prefer to name my children bilingual hispanic names so that is the reason I wanted to use Ines over Agnes. 

Other contenders considered are:

Ines Pilar (Pilar is another family name on my husband's side)
    Ines del Pilar (not sure how the "del" would work in English!)
    Ines Magdalena 
    Luisa Ines
    Ines Louise (Louise is my mn)-although hard to pronounce in Spanish as it sounds like Luis (a man's name!)
    Catalina Ines (Kathleen is a family name) nn would be Lina

I am a BIG nn user so would love my daughter to have just as cute a nn as her brothers do! 

Why is naming a girl so much harder than a boy!?!

Thanks again for all your input!!
  • Options
    I responded already, but I just wanted to say that I love love love Catalina!

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Options
    I love Agnes, a family name for me too, so I love the idea of using Ines. So pretty and I don't think it is overtly tease worthy. Like PP said there is no way to tease proof anything.

I also think Ines should be the FN. I was going to suggest Ines Carolina (w/ Spanish pronunciation) until I saw Ines Magdalena on your list. Magdalena is DD's name so I'm biased and it gets my vote. :)
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options

I love Pilar, so I vote for that as a MN.

I've only seen it spelled Inez, which I think is easier to pronounce

• Options
    I love Ines Magdalena, Ines Catalina, or Ines Carolina :)

Seriously this name had never been on my radar before this post and while I'd never use it personally it's really growing on me.

DS born Oct. '11

TTC #2 with PCOS since Nov. '13

Dx: Low Progesterone (3.3) on 8/12/14

Waiting for RE appointment on 10/28/14

Surprise BFP on cycle 12 -- 10/19/14!

EDD July 1, 2015

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I'm not Spanish speaking, and I definitely recognized the name and how to pronounce it. I think that you're good on that point.

But seriously reconsider calling her something other than her first name. My parents decided to have me go by my middle name, and I hated it. It was a major pain in school and on legal documents. I also hated that my name wasn't what they called at graduation or what appeared in yearbooks. I had my middle name legally changed to my first during college. Here are some suggestions for a middle name:

Ines Mary
    Ines Taylor
    Ines Ava
    Ines Alexandra
    Ines Riley
    Ines Jordan
    Ines Lyla
    Ines Jessa

• Options
    IrishTravelerIrishTraveler member
    edited February 2014
    I had a great aunt by the name of Inez. My first inclination when I saw Ines was to pronounce it EYE-nez.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Ines Magdelana ! Two great names that go great together.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I had a great aunt by the name of Inez. My first inclination when I saw Ines was to pronounce it EYE-nez.

My great grandmother's name was also Inez (EYE-nez). Our family has always wondered where the name came from, as she was from a very poor white family in rural Arkansas, it is quite different from the other run of the mill names in our family tree from that era.
  • Options
    Nessie is what the tour guides call the Loch Ness monster so that's all I can think of when I read that NN

Ines is nice, I like it. It will need pronunciation corrections at least part of the time for non-Spanish speakers. I am in the camp of recommending you find a way to put it in the FN spot, I like Ines Pilar. My two brothers both go by their MNs and they feel its a huge PIA. They reminded me repeatedly not to do that to my child when the naming conversation came up
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice on the MN position. I was afraid of this. If I end up using Ines, it will be as a FN. I am still debating if I prefer Catalina as FN (nn Lina) and Ines as mn....decisions, decisions!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"