January 2014 Moms
Options

STM Moms who breastfeed and supplement with formula

My pediatrician told me at our 1 month apt that my milk will dry up if I continue to give formula. I'm nursing my LO a few times a day (around 4 to 5) directly to the breast and I pump twice a day in addition. I make a few ounces per day. Varies from 2oz to 4ozs per pump to give an estimate each time.

I don't have a reason why I give formula except it started that way at the hospitals and it became easier for me to rest and get things done. I want to continue breastfeeding and formula feeding and I didn't think it would be an issue. Especially if I go back to work. Any STM successful at doing both? Is my pedi just being paranoid...I know milk supply can decrease.

Re: STM Moms who breastfeed and supplement with formula

• Options
    I do this. My pedi and LC know, but didn't damn me for it. My supply just isn't enough for him, and with my work schedule I just can't do more than I'm already doing to increase it. I will continue my hybrid regimen as long as possible.

I know this didn't answer your question, but I guess I wanted you to know you aren't alone. I only nursed my dd for six weeks since I lacked knowledge and support, and with ds feel some bm is better than none, for both of us
    AnnRenee 1/21/03
    Luke 12/30/2013
  • Options
    I am curious about how to do this too. Thanks for posting! I am currently EBF but am worried about having to supplement when I return to work.
    Lilypie - (bDmZ)Lilypie - (SUYh)
    image imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was thinking about combo feeding and just read you should wait 4-6 weeks until supply is well established before starting with the formula feeds. Probably not that helpful for you now though.

I think it is a very slippery slope as BF is so demand based; I would probably offer the breast first and top up with formula if there are supply related concerns.

My first DS got a bottle of formula most days when he was young to no ill effect but I've always seemed to have a high supply.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    I would think in most cases if you are consistent with your schedule, that your supply may decrease some, but would regulate to how often you are nursing.
    I agree with @MarBee1214.  If you are keeping the same schedule daily, then your supply should adjust to accommodate those missed sessions.  We supplement by choice (for my sanity)... DD gets a bottle at dinner time and the last feed of the day.  It's the same every. single. day.  I haven't had any problems nursing her for all her other feedings and she has plenty of wet/dirty diapers, gaining weight and seems content, so I assume all is well.  

I do plan to eventually switch over to FFing when I'm ready, but for now, this is working for us.

Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14

• Options
    I do it for sanity, too. She gets a bottle of formula when my husband comes home so I can get some me time. I'm going back to work in a few weeks and she will get formula at daycare. I will pump every two hours or so at work and I'll just have to see how it goes. I'm thrilled to have made it this long breastfeeding (my supply was too low last time)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    This is not my personal experience, and a long time ago (but my understanding is the female body hasn't changed TOO much), but my mom breastfed at night and early morning and FF during the day once she went back to work w/ both me and my sisters.  She was able to breastfeed us until close to a year, only doing so 2-3 times daily.  I think your milk supply can drop, but if you continue demanding, it should supply to that level.
    Our Baby Girl, Emma, changed our lives forever when she was born 12-19-13 <3
  • Options

This is not my personal experience, and a long time ago (but my understanding is the female body hasn't changed TOO much), but my mom breastfed at night and early morning and FF during the day once she went back to work w/ both me and my sisters.  She was able to breastfeed us until close to a year, only doing so 2-3 times daily.  I think your milk supply can drop, but if you continue demanding, it should supply to that level.

So it can be done! I just started to get worried it was all or nothing and that my milk would dry up. I do need to get in a schedule soon...my pumping and BF is at random times.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"