Cloth Diapering

NCDR spit up

So our 4 week old has major spit up/vomiting issues.  She has been spitting up/vomiting from the beginning (and has pooped less than the average baby).  She had an abdominal ultrasound today, which didn't reveal anything.  So we are going to see the pediatric gastroenteritis next week.  In the meantime while we wait for the appointment we are treating her for reflux (which I feel is not her issue, but I am willing to try).  

We are getting the medical side of things checked out....so what I want to know from you guys is if anyone has had a spitter, what are some of the crafty things you have done to protect your clothes/furniture/floors/baby/car seat/swing/etc.  Are there any products out there that really help cover so I am not spending all of my day cleaning up and doing laundry?  I ordered an Aden and Anais burpy bib to try.  I was hoping to find some homemade products on Etsy but it just looks like average size bibs.  Assunta has some PUL changing pads- does anyone know more about those?  Looks like those are minky on one side and PUL on the other?  Could I lay those over things like my lap and chair when I feed her?

Re: NCDR spit up

• Toddler sized prefolds! Freaking amazing!

Also, yes stop dairy. That Helped ds feel better but he was still a spitter. It's finally slowed down sometime after 6 months. :D
  • Or flats may work well. And both would wash well and can be used after this phase passes!
  • Loading the player...
  • Maybe take some ribbon and make some quick bibs out of prefolds. They absorb so fast it might help keep it off stuff and you won't constantly have to hold a burp rag.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree with the other suggestions for mess containment.

Wanted to add that D was a super crazy spitter.  Turned out he had reflux and a dairy protein intolerance.  Thins that helped us:  Smaller, more frequent feedings.  Keeping him upright for a good 30-40 minutes after eating.  Burping him well and often.  When we bottle fed we made sure to keep the bottle tilted to allow the least amount of air possible. 

image imageimageimage

• jcwinsto said:

Maybe take some ribbon and make some quick bibs out of prefolds. They absorb so fast it might help keep it off stuff and you won't constantly have to hold a burp rag.

With a little baby, at least in my experience. I was less worried about the baby getting dirty vs us. Because we were always holding him on our shoulder.
  • jcwinsto said:

Maybe take some ribbon and make some quick bibs out of prefolds. They absorb so fast it might help keep it off stuff and you won't constantly have to hold a burp rag.

With a little baby, at least in my experience. I was less worried about the baby getting dirty vs us. Because we were always holding him on our shoulder.
    Yea, I can't think of any solutions for that except covering yourself in burp rags. I was thinking more of keeping the swing, crib, etc clean. I can hold my baby upright and try to burp for 30 min and get nothing but 2 hours later when he is entertaining himself in the swing or napping in the crib out comes a bunch of milk with absolutely no warning.
  • jcwinsto said:

jcwinsto said:

Yea, I can't think of any solutions for that except covering yourself in burp rags. I was thinking more of keeping the swing, crib, etc clean. I can hold my baby upright and try to burp for 30 min and get nothing but 2 hours later when he is entertaining himself in the swing or napping in the crib out comes a bunch of milk with absolutely no warning.
    Thank God they grow out of it. I'm on the upswing and dancing like a fool. I'm so happy!! :P
  • I kept receiving blankets wherever I put her down. Beside my bed each night I had 3 extra blankets as well as buns and burp cloths galore! Plus a couple extra jammies. There was nothing that helped us. Even with her being MPSI and me cutting out all that good stuff. She calmed down the spit up at around 5 months. Then started back badly at 6 months. Then tapered off at about 9 months. Just hold your lo away from you as you are leaving and always get dressed last!
                    Our Blessing From God Through Adoption
                   Our Blessing After TTC for 6 Years (natural birth!)
                             EBFing, CDing, BWing, SAHM
  • jcwinsto said:
    This is us. And also sitting upright holding him all night. I slightly elevated the mattress last night and he slept 4 hours in PnP.
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Parent of Baby Boy M, born December 2013 Angels: Miscarriage @ 9 weeks, May 2015, Chemical Pregnancy November 2015

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I second PP with burpcloths/prefolds everywhere.  We also used a lot of receiving blankets.  And when we lay him down or on our laps etc. we use a RaR changing pad underneath him.  It's microfleece on the side he lays on with a waterproof backing.  DS didn't spit up much until recently,and before now A&A burpy bibs worked great for us.  When the pediatrician said reflux is the worst at around 4 months, she wasn't lying.  
  • What everyone else said.

Also, GMD sells the Mommy's Touch Changing pad which is fleece on one side and PUL on the other.

And if you Google "waterproof blanket" a bunch of products come up that are some kind of waterproof fabric on one side, and various other blanket-y fabrics on the other side. A lot of these are designed for picnics, camping, etc. You get the idea.
  • Thanks for all the advice.  I am definitely going to keep things covered with prefolds because I am tired of taking the covers off the swing/papasan/car seat to wash and then later going to put her in one of those only to realize I haven't gotten the cover back on yet.  And I will just have to be creative to keep myself and her covered.  Also good to hear I am not alone in having breastmilk launched at me all day and night.
  • LatteLady5LatteLady5 member
    edited February 2014
    DS has reflux. He's still gaining weight well but was projectile vomitting all the time and screaming pretty much non stop. I cut out dairy and caffeine and it didn't make any difference.The doctor prescribed zantac and we use it minimally as needed. He also gets BioGaia probiotic drops daily and these have really seemed to help. He spits up so much less and doesn't really projectile vomit anymore.

https://www.amazon.com/BioGaia-Biogaia-Protectis-Baby-Drops/dp/B0069OL6EA

Also, we have prefolds in pretty much every room too ;)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Ditto on the large size prefolds. We keep them everywhere and it makes clean up so much easier! GL and I hope she outgrows it soon. :)
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"