Two Under 2

Keeping toddler away from newborn

#2 is coming in May when #1 is 22 months old. I'm trying to figure out a way to let the newborn sleep downstairs without being bugged by the toddler. Any input on what worked best for you? My DD was an incredibly sleepy baby (and is still a champion sleeper, thank heavens), and assuming this one is equally sleepy, I hate the idea of taking him upstairs to his crib constantly. We kept #1 in a rock n play wherever we were. I would like to do something similar, but I'm wondering if a pack n play would be better?

Re: Keeping toddler away from newborn

• A rock n play would probably be fine. We used the swing and the newborn sleeper that detached from the pack n play. Maybe some would consider it a no-no, but I always sat it on the edge of the couch. 
    As for being "bugged", I'm sure LO#2 will be used to it from the get-go, and it may not even bother him/her. :)
           I am convinced that coffee is God's gift to mothers.

BabyFruit Ticker       
    **  DD-5.30.11 ** DS-1.15.13 ** #3 EDD - 9.4.14 ** 

• We didn't have this issue, but what is your space situation? Open floor plan or is there a separate room you could use for napping? If you had an office or dining room you could close off, I would get an extra camera for the monitor and use it there. If not, maybe still set up a PNP or similar off to one area and use a white noise machine and try to keep adjacent lights off/dim.

As for your toddler, don't underestimate her ability to understand what is going on and what your expectations are. Before #2 arrives, practice skills that will be helpful after #2's arrival - inside voice/whispering, stop/go, walk/run, light/dark, etc. Talk to her about babies and what they need and do and don't do. "Babies need lots of sleep, so let's practice being quiet so the baby can sleep". And really, it's amazing what babies will sleep through.

Hope that helps. Good Luck and congratulations on #2.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks! We have a pretty open floor plan. I can keep the toddler away, but shutting doors tends to make her more determined to get through the closed door. Lol. Typical toddler behavior!

And we are already talking with her about quiet voices and practicing using our quiet voices when her dolls are "sleeping." I'm mainly worried about her actually touching him when he's asleep. I'm hoping she is bored by him when he's sleeping so just leaves him alone. :)
  • its a battle sometimes at our house but I put my finger to my lips and say shhhhh...sister is sleeping and then he will mimic me and then try to be quiet...I just put her in the RnP and close the door and she is fine but Im usually on the same level of the house with both of them
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Both of my newborns have been heavy sleepers. My 15 month old has just started screeching and the baby sleeps through everything. I have the newer, bigger RNP bassinet, and the toddler can't reach in and steal pacifiers (his fave pastime) although he can drop toys in there, so I'm working on that. So the baby sleeps in my arms or the bassinet during the day and is unaffected by the noisy toddler.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We have used the rock n play with the younger two. My toddlers have never really been interested in their little sister until a couple months into it when they get more active. Just watch LO#1, because DD2 always wanted to cuddle and climbed in the rock n play with DD#3. I never put baby in another room and now she can sleep through anything ;)
    Me - J.R. - 05/1986
    DH - J.I. - 08/1986
    Married - 09/22/2006
    DD#1 - A.E. - 12/15/2009
    DD#2 - N.R. - 11/07/2011
    DD#3 - S.R. - 05/20/2013
      DS - R.E. - 10/03/2014

Absolutely in love with our 'big' family!

I'm also a proud Auntie to a crazy little girl, her brand new baby sister, a little man on his way in the next month, and a sweet little mister we will miss forever!!!
  • My girls are 17mo apart and I worried about how I would step out of the room or turn my back without my toddler messing with her baby sister, after all our dogs even fear her! But I worried for nothing. The baby spends a lot of time in her swing and *knock on wood* we've never had an issue. I also nap her in a PnP in our room if needed, but more recently have been trying to have her nap in the nursery the girls both share, in hopes it will make the transition to bedtimes together in a few months a bit easier. As for noise level.. they get used to it! My toddler can be throwing a tantrum, my 5yr old is running around like a ninja turtle and yelling and 3 feet away sits my sound sleeping baby, somehow it all works out... Oh! and our dogs still fear our toddler ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"